Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 with new P94 pickup sound problem

BertisEvil66

Hi

I installed new P94 pickups in my ES 175. I followed the Gibson wiring schematic (please see attachment)

the sound with bridge or neck pickup only is fine, but in middle position when both on it sounds thin and liveless. seems there is a phasing problem.

is it possible that the wiring which Gibson recommend is crap?

Hello and welcome here.

The wiring diagram seems wrong indeed, I'm sharing your opinion it's a "phase" or strictly spoken polarity problem.

Do the pickups operate hum-canceling when used together at about the same levels? If the hum is (closely) canceled, then magnet and coil winding directions of both the pickups are the same. If there's hum, then they are reverse wound/reverse magnet polarity. In either case operation with same signal polarity will call for reversing one's pickup connection. My assumption would be that white to hot will deliver "up phase" operation, meaning a positive signal when strings are moving towards the pickup. This is Gibson's way of stock wiring.

Hope this helps.

Hallo Capmaster, und viele Grüße aus Favoriten (dem "Harlem" von Wien) [biggrin]

yes indeed, the middle position is hum canceling and absolute silence. but I have rather humming than a thin sound.

so I guess I have to change it and both pickups run through the black wire? or both with the white wire?

As I mentioned in my previous post, to my guess the correct wiring for Gibson pickups would be either white wires to the hot volume pot legs.

The descriptions given by Gibson along with the diagram read funny indeed. I don't get why they mention the hum-canceling option without relating to the thin sound produced just through it. [confused]

• 3 weeks later...

Success !

now both pickups run trough their black lead and the sound in the middle position is awesome.

the hum in the middle is now the same as in the bridge or neck position, but thats no problem.

thank you capmaster for the help.

cheers

Robert from Vienna

Archived