Gibson Brands Forums

'29 L5

TobyTom

This is a repost from the intro section. This is my first post. My name is Tom and I own my fathers 1929 L5. It was played every Friday and Saturday night for 30+ years and looks like it. Tuners have been replaced and the pickguard is disintegrating. I'm getting a replacement PG so it doesn't look so naked. The PG on it is the longer, later version. I ordered one for a '29 but they sent me a shorter one and said that 1929 was a transition period for the long and short versions. I wonder if the PG had been replaced with the later version in the past. Any comments? It still plays well but I have trouble getting used to the massive neck. Thanks. I'll post a pic asap.

The original guard most likely had some sort of front mounting system. It either screwed through a block into the side of the fingerboard, or through a bushing down into the soundboard. The existing hole will tell you what it originally had. If it has two holes, chances are the hole last used is the modification, and the other is the original.

Your '29 does seem to be right in the middle of a transition period of headstock logo, fingerboard markers, fretboard "point", tuners, and neck shape. As it IS called a "transition" period, it is possible (and likely), that some guitars got built with a combination of new and old features.

We'd love to see pics, it might even aid in further information.

Hi TobyTom, that looks like a great old guitar. If it was played a lot, it probably sounds better for it. Some people swear that L5's of that general era are the best-sounding acoustic L5's ever made.

Pickguards definitely don't tend to last for 85+ years. In fact, they tend not to last more than about half of that. Yours could have been replaced more than once, but only a close examination (as Larry suggests) might help to sort it out.

I think you might enjoy reading and learning more about the evolution of early L5's here: http://www.prewargibsonl-5.com/anatomy-of-the-l-5/4581825011

Hi TobyTom, that looks like a great old guitar. If it was played a lot, it probably sounds better for it. Some people swear that L5's of that general era are the best-sounding acoustic L5's ever made.

Pickguards definitely don't tend to last for 85+ years. In fact, they tend not to last more than about half of that. Yours could have been replaced more than once, but only a close examination (as Larry suggests) might help to sort it out.

I think you might enjoy reading and learning more about the evolution of early L5's here: http://www.prewargibsonl-5.com/anatomy-of-the-l-5/4581825011

I think you're right. On the back of the PG I took off are a couple of numbers scratched on the surface and "L5." It reminds me of a replacement stock number that could derive from instrument repair shop. There is also a thicker band of plastic along the straight edge that, I suppose, keeps the guard away from the body. I don't know if the replacement one I ordered will have that. Thanks for the input.

There is also a thicker band of plastic along the straight edge that, I suppose, keeps the guard away from the body.

I think that's there primarily to help prevent the pickguard from warping.

Wow - what a guitar.....I see what you mean about the neck - that's big...but absolutely beautiful wood.

How bad are those cracks on the back? Not all the way through?

Wow - what a guitar.....I see what you mean about the neck - that's big...but absolutely beautiful wood.

How bad are those cracks on the back? Not all the way through?

I think they are all the way through. I haven't poked around though.

I'm starting to "conserve" the guitar, starting with the new pickguard. It is very playable and I don't want to change much. I have a DeArmond guitar mike that was on it and am debating whether to put it back on. Any suggestions, recommendations?

Archived