Gibson Brands Forums

Is it a les paul standard ?

Hi,

Could you please help me identifying this guitar ?

I just bought it and I wonder if it's a real 'standard' one as written on it(it would then be a 2012 one with trans black finish) or if it's a 'classic plus' (a 2011 one with trans ebony burst finish).

I don't have the original pickups.

The finish type seems to be more a trans ebony burst and the tuners also seem to indicate that it's a classic plus...

serial number : 128710504

If you need more photos, let me know.

Thank you for helping me identifying this LP !

Gaël

post-77893-076215700 1459846144_thumb.jpg

post-77893-071781300 1459846217_thumb.jpg

post-77893-077218100 1459846231_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

The guitar above was made in 2011.

The 2011 Standard in trans black:

LPNSTDPBLCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

The 2011 Classic Plus in trans black:

LPCST5E2CH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

The Classic Plus was made with torrefied maple fingerboard. But I can't tell that from such a bad quality pictures. Try to upload a few better pics to a Photobucket accound, and copy the IMG-code in Your posts. The attachment space is quite limited.

Bence.

Another confirmation point might be hidden under the pickups; the Gibson factory quite often designate bodies with a code inside the pickup cavity, so the unassembled guitar makes its' way through the correct channels.

I think "LPS" or something similar denotes a standard; "LPCP" or "LPC" would indicate a classic.

But based on the photos, looks like a classic+

Thank you for your answers.

First, concerning the fingerboard, a few pictures :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxsnbw75h8kqy88/DSC_0636.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqtwfpec4fqlyfq/DSC_0637.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg3pndf98v2e1tc/DSC_0639.JPG?dl=0

I checked the pickup cavity and noted this code : LPCSTb , I understand Tb is for trans black, but CS ? classic standard ? One more argument for a classic but not so clear.

One more thing I checked is the size of the holes for tuners in the head. These holes are 8.6 mm diameter, which make them too small I think for locking Grovers (like those on standard LPs). What do you think about it ?

Thank you once again for your time and answers.

Gaël

Hello Gaël!

That is a baked maple fingerboard for sure. You are lucky! These guitars left the shops very quickly, and they do not pop up in ads either!

As for the pencilled model designation, the "LPCSTb" is more likely "LPC5Tb". This guitar was offered with the choice of 50s or 60s style neck. The "5" is for the fatter 50s style neck.

Best wishes... Bence

Archived