Gibson Brands Forums

2015 LP Standard - Intonation problem

Hey guys maybe you can help. I tried posting an email to customer service online but got no response. Anyway, I purchased a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard and never changed the strings or had any other setup or changes done to the guitar. It played it occasionally. I recently took it out of the case and went to play it and tuned it using the G-Force (never ever tried tuning it any other way). It went into tune but sounded horrible. I tunes fine but the intonation is off. When I hit fret the 12 fret notes they are significantly sharp compared to perfect tuning open. But some only on about 3 of the strings is it this way. The other 3 seem to be fine or close enough. I know I didn't have this problem when I got the guitar (it was purchased new through sweetwater). So I'm concerned that maybe the nut could be the problem. Is there any known issues with the brass nut on these guitars?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but was didn't have time to search and was a bit miffed that customer reps didn't respond to my email.

So I called customer service after this post and got through. I found out there is a known issue with the nut and they are sending me a titanium nut to replace it. I would suspect the sound will be much brighter than before once it is replaced. I asked if they would send me new strings because I assume I would have to remove my strings but they told me that I only need to loosen them to do the replacement. Right now it is just unplayable.

Hello, yep as they say.. Problems with the soft brass nut...

It does seem to fix the issues... Theres loads about it in this area of the forum http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/151-g-force-and-other-gibson-tech-guitars/

HOWEVER.. Most of the issues I have read about arnt to do with intonation... It could be possible that your truss rod needs a slight tweak... Can you check the neck straightness?

Meanwhile. You could always adjust the intonation by moving the saddles on the bridge... That's what they are there for :)

Well good luck with it, hope you get it all sorted [thumbup]

Hello, yep as they say.. Problems with the soft brass nut...

It does seem to fix the issues... Theres loads about it in this area of the forum http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/151-g-force-and-other-gibson-tech-guitars/

HOWEVER.. Most of the issues I have read about arnt to do with intonation... It could be possible that your truss rod needs a slight tweak... Can you check the neck straightness?

Meanwhile. You could always adjust the intonation by moving the saddles on the bridge... That's what they are there for :)

Well good luck with it, hope you get it all sorted [thumbup]

Yeah, I should try that but some strings are not experiencing the problem. I thought if a truss rod were the issue then all the strings would exhibit the intonation problem. Anyone know what size hex is needed for the intonation adjustment? Also, does anyone know of a good set of tools for adjusting it that is long that doesn't get you into a position of dinging up the finish on the guitar?

First of all: relax.

Knowing there's no WAY IN HELL I'd be able to relax if I'd spent that much dough, move on to 2:

Have you intonated it? Small screwdriver, intonation screws. YouTube it.

From recent experience: if there's a culprit even after steps 1 n 2, I bet it's the G string. Do NOT overtighten - when it's at the end of its length and your tether, leave it be. You'll break the saddle. If you have to force the screwdriver - don't.

If you need a saddle flip, then by all means, but unless you're 100% sure how to do it, have Sweetwater do it.

I'd return the guitar for a set-up. From what I've heard, Sweetwater will have it set up and back to you in no time.

Archived