Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Ground Wire

Hello all, I have a 74 SG with a broken ground wire? Having pulled the Stoptail Bushing and fished out the wire it looks and feels like a .10 Plain GTR B string, bendy etc. So many years on what do I use now? Any suggestions? Guitar strings are steel but coated? it has to be thin to go I the bushing hole and through the hole to the body cavity! The bushing when hammered in traps the wire? Thanks for your thoughts and advice! DH

Standard guitar wire is 22 gauge... You can use anything really.. But the thicker the better for the bridge ground.. I have often seen solid core wire (as in non stranded) used for a ground.. But ive made some guitars and usually use this 22 stuff it works fine...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=guitar+wire&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xguitar+wire+22awg.TRS0&_nkw=guitar+wire+22awg&_sacat=0

And yes, the bridge brushing is meant to trap it when you hammer it in.. Just make sure you give it a tug from the control cavity once its in and check it hasn't come loose.

Good luck with it [thumbup]

Thank you for your advice and time! My concern is whatever I use the thickness may prevent the bushing going back in straight? I have been using US 18 awg tinned copper wire for the pots ground and that seems to thick? The original wire is .10 B String diameter or close! The stud bushing is grooved so that helps if I can place the wire. I guess steel or copper. Shame there's not a better way thank you again Don H

Thank you for your advice and time! My concern is whatever I use the thickness may prevent the bushing going back in straight? I have been using US 18 awg tinned copper wire for the pots ground and that seems to thick? The original wire is .10 B String diameter or close! The stud bushing is grooved so that helps if I can place the wire. I guess steel or copper. Shame there's not a better way thank you again Don H

Well the thing about using stranded wire is that you can fan the strands out so its thinner... And if you were to use thicker solid wire it would just slightly indent the wood inside as you hammered it in cos of the extra thickness, but it should still work..

Archived