Gibson Brands Forums

2015 3 point bridge

gawfdawg

Hello Everyone,

Stoked to be here.

I recently purchased a 2015 SG bass and am wondering how to set it up.

My main goal is to get the intonation right and can't seem to find anything out there that explains it.

I also want to get string height tuned in.

I've also heard about hipshot bridge and am wondering if I should go that route.

I'd hate to think I need to change any hardware though.

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

T

Hello Everyone,

Stoked to be here.

I recently purchased a 2015 SG bass and am wondering how to set it up.

My main goal is to get the intonation right and can't seem to find anything out there that explains it.

I also want to get string height tuned in.

I've also heard about hipshot bridge and am wondering if I should go that route.

I'd hate to think I need to change any hardware though.

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

T

Hello & welcome T!

To adjust the intonation follow these steps (it's easy):

1) tune the bass with open strings

2) fret the strings one at a time at the 12th fret: if it's sharp - move the saddle back, if it's flat - move the saddle forward

3) re-tune after each adjustment and repeat 1 & 2 until you get it right (when the saddle is moved the open string tuning will change slightly).

The individual string height is not adjustable on the Gibson 3-point bridge; only the height and angle of the whole bridge (using the 3 large screws). I believe the saddles are different heights, so don't mix them up. If you're getting "buzzing" or the action is too high (after adjusting the bridge height), the neck relief may need adjusting. If you've never adjusted a neck, there are some good YouTube videos, but it would be worthwhile to go to a luthier and ask if he would teach you how to adjust the neck while he sets it up. Once you see it done, you'll be able to do it yourself.

Any adjustment to the neck or bridge height usually effects the intonation, and any adjustment to the neck or bridge height should be done with tension off the strings. Make small adjustments - take your time.... you'll get itmsp_biggrin.gif

A Hipshot SuperTone is a good bridge, but the Babicz 3-point is much better (IMHO); I've had them both and love the Babicz "Full Contact" bridge. It makes a huge improvement in tone, sustain, and harmonics.

Here's a link to Babicz: http://www.fullconta...ibson-style.htm if you decide to change the bridge.

I have had 2-point, 3-point, and Babicz bridges on various bass guitars (and still do for what that's worth). The 2-point is a pain to get sorted, but once it's sorted, it's set until you do something weird. Same with the 3-point, same with the Babicz. The difference is that the Babicz is much easier to set up. A 3-point is straight forward enough, and I typically set the front a bit higher than the back to get a little more break over angle for the strings. But, on a Thunderbird anyway, getting a low action means cranking the 3-point down to almost being a full contact bridge anyway. When it's all said and done, they all work just fine. I haven't noticed much difference in sound between them. I put a Babicz on a 1991 Thunderbird as part of chroming it out to look like an older 'Bird, and the biggest change was swapping out the pickups for lower output, more vintage sounding pickups. The bridge is pretty low on the list of things that contribute to sound and sustain, in my opinion.

I have had 2-point, 3-point, and Babicz bridges on various bass guitars (and still do for what that's worth). The 2-point is a pain to get sorted, but once it's sorted, it's set until you do something weird. Same with the 3-point, same with the Babicz. The difference is that the Babicz is much easier to set up. A 3-point is straight forward enough, and I typically set the front a bit higher than the back to get a little more break over angle for the strings. But, on a Thunderbird anyway, getting a low action means cranking the 3-point down to almost being a full contact bridge anyway. When it's all said and done, they all work just fine. I haven't noticed much difference in sound between them. I put a Babicz on a 1991 Thunderbird as part of chroming it out to look like an older 'Bird, and the biggest change was swapping out the pickups for lower output, more vintage sounding pickups. The bridge is pretty low on the list of things that contribute to sound and sustain, in my opinion.

There's nothing wrong with the 3-point; I'm just not a fan. I did put a Hipshot Supertone on an SG that helped a little, but the Babicz that I put on my old EB3L is incredible. Even unplugged I can hear and feel the difference. The Babicz turned the rather "dark" sounding EB3L into a great sounding bass. Sustain and harmonics are greatly improved, and the tone is much brighter. I've changed many bridges over the years with mixed results, but the Babics far exceeded my expectations. Tone is subjective, but a good bridge is very important for sustain (IMHO) msp_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan of Babicz bridges, no doubt. They are worth the price. I suspect that all of my Thunderbirds will end up with Babicz bridges when it's all said and done. I'm not a purist by any stretch, and having needed to do a little adjustment recently means the Babicz made life a whole lot easier. I'm not sure what happened that let the intonation go off, unless I just didn't set it right in the first place.

I'm a fan of Babicz bridges, no doubt. They are worth the price. I suspect that all of my Thunderbirds will end up with Babicz bridges when it's all said and done. I'm not a purist by any stretch, and having needed to do a little adjustment recently means the Babicz made life a whole lot easier. I'm not sure what happened that let the intonation go off, unless I just didn't set it right in the first place.

Here in NW PA where the weather is constantly changing, I have to adjust the 1 piece mahogany necks and intonation on my Les Paul basses 4 or 5 times a year. The old EB3L with the 3 piece maple neck seems very stable; I'll only have to tweak it twice a year (winter/summer). I noticed last night that the G string was a tad flat. I don't see how the saddles on the Babicz could move, unless I didn't tighten the lock screw enough. To be fair, I haven't touched that bridge in over a year. Who knows, if the sun comes out today, that G string could be right on! msp_biggrin.gif

My 2014 T-Bird has no trouble with its 3 point bridge

Very reliable and intonation is Rock solid

another good thing is the black has not rubbed off

plenty of surface wear in that one corner where my palm rests but no changes.

Another note

this bass does not cave to seasonal issues

I'm not sure if it's due to the thru body contruction

but it Rarely needs to be tuned and is as reliable as they come

IMG_7027%2012.jpg

I don't set them up too well myself so I have the work done professionally

Archived