Gibson Brands Forums

Lazy Lead Trickery

In case someone has stumbled on to a shortcut technique or novel method to acquire/improve lead guitar skills, I'm here asking for your suggestions. I'm not looking to shred, just ease my way through acoustic country blues licks across all keys. I know there's a skillion methods out there, but I'd like a little help cutting corners hoping something will click.

In case someone has stumbled on to a shortcut technique or novel method to acquire/improve lead guitar skills, I'm here asking for your suggestions. I'm not looking to shred, just ease my way through acoustic country blues licks across all keys. I know there's a skillion methods out there, but I'd like a little help cutting corners hoping something will click.

There are work arounds for regular 7 note scales, but not for the pentatonic (5 note) blues scales.

But you dont need to. Just learn two octaves of pentatonic within the confines of 3 frets (just one hand position) and move it up or down the neck to change key.

Within a song, you wont need to change key along with chords changes if you are using the usual 3 chords (1 / 4 / 5).

So for blues in C, just use a C pentatonic scale & it will sound fine where the F & G chords occur in the song.

I'll screw around with that m-e. I know it's cheesy to look for shortcuts, but ever since the book, 'Idiot's Guide To VW Repair' came out, I try to take the path of least resistance.

I appreciate the tip.

I don't think there's really a short cut.

the one method that clicked for me,, way back when,, was to learn (started out with C) a major scale using every degree of the scale as the starting note, (this is not "modes" per say, but once you find these positions, modes start to make more sense.)

like start on the G, (C's 5th), and run the scale staying in that relative position, then, move to A... etc.. it's tricky, as there are some at first, awkward fingerings. but after a while, it all starts to make sense. The next step is to tie the two closest neck positions together, Start on the 5th (G), then move the scale run to the A position to finish. then, eventually you can see where everything is when you're in a given key.

Thanks for that, kid. I'm going to try and put some dedicated time in over the next few months to get some of this to stick in my head. I'll keep your suggestion and see what I can do with it. Repetition is the mother of retention.

• 1 month later...

I practice to radio playing w/amp set at reasonable vol to match radio vol,,playing along with many different bands,+,styles helps me figure out what I want "My sound/style" to end up as.

Archived