Gibson Brands Forums

Sunburst or natural

Mickthemiller

It depends. Which guitar? What sort of sunburst? Vintage, cherry, tobacco etc.?

There are undoubtedly some gorgeous sunburst guitars out there, but some equally (to my eye at least) good looking natural instruments, especially the higher end ones with the top quality wood.

Also, dare I say it, the finish makes a difference too. I honestly believe that if the AJ-45 was natural there would have been a lot less controversy over the satin finish.

Must say I was really keen on sunbursts for a good while but now, well I like em but it doesn't really seem to matter so much now. Having said that there are some beautiful tobacco sunburst about at the moment that really look the biz. I'm so shallow at times msp_rolleyes.gif

I tend to think that any plain opaque colour is covering something not nice, black, red, green, blue, pink (especially pink) rolleyes.gif

Deja vu!!!!!!

I heard you the first time. :rolleyes:[biggrin]

I was just playing devils advocate really. I do think an all black guitar can look pretty cool, any other colour though and you're getting dangerously close to Hello Kitty territory.

Edited for atrocious grammar.

That is an eyesore, we can agree on that. But I would contend that it's made so ugly by that awful (double) pickguard and the headstock and not the colour black.

Oh well, eye of the beholder and all that.

Well, you may agree with some others, but I'll take a bit of exception. In the first place, that's not a "double pickguard" but a veneer that's even with the rest of the surface of the guitar. It includes what would be the sound hole on a normal acoustic. Black or natural, they come the same. Like Ovation or not, this is the sweetest sounding guitar when amp'd (although I'll admit, it's a bit of a dud un amp'd). And I've never made a decision on buying a guitar based on the headstock, but you may be different than I am.

Apologies for the stock photo, but it doesn't do this guitar justice. I have nothing against burst finishes, just think that some guitars look better than others in different colors. No harm no foul as far as I'm concerned. As you said "eye of the beholder and all that".

Well, you may agree with some others, but I'll take a bit of exception. In the first place, that's not a "double pickguard" but a veneer that's even with the rest of the surface of the guitar. It includes what would be the sound hole on a normal acoustic. Black or natural, they come the same. Like Ovation or not, this is the sweetest sounding guitar when amp'd (although I'll admit, it's a bit of a dud un amp'd). And I've never made a decision on buying a guitar based on the headstock, but you may be different than I am.

Apologies for the stock photo, but it doesn't do this guitar justice. I have nothing against burst finishes, just think that some guitars look better than others in different colors. No harm no foul as far as I'm concerned. As you said "eye of the beholder and all that".

I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention to dis your guitar. I honestly thought you posted that picture as a negative example [blush]

When I began the journey that eventually led to buying my first Masterbilt, based on my search criteria two guitars cropped up time and time again, the Masterbilt DR500-MCE and the Seagull S6. I could not get past the thalidomide headstock on the S6 - it just looks wrong.

Incidentally, I wanted the Masterbilt in a natural finish but that meant a 6 week wait and I was too impatient for that so I went with the sunburst.

I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention to dis your guitar. I honestly thought you posted that picture as a negative example [blush]

Like I said in my post, no harm, no foul. Not everybody likes the same things, you know? LOL.

When I began the journey that eventually led to buying my first Masterbilt, based on my search criteria two guitars cropped up time and time again, the Masterbilt DR500-MCE and the Seagull S6. I could not get past the thalidomide headstock on the S6 - it just looks wrong.

Incidentally, I wanted the Masterbilt in a natural finish but that meant a 6 week wait and I was too impatient for that so I went with the sunburst.

Seagull headstocks scream POS! Wish I could get past the visual aesthetic - the curse of being shallow, I suppose. Kind of amusing, thinking about playing a guitar with a bag over the headstock....

Seagull headstocks scream POS! Wish I could get past the visual aesthetic - the curse of being shallow, I suppose. Kind of amusing, thinking about playing a guitar with a bag over the headstock....

I've never looked at a Seagull headstock because I've never looked twice at a Seagull. Thanks for pointing out how truly dumb looking that 'stock is. Like a 14th century lute.

rct

Archived