Gibson Brands Forums

Dove Pro

smdzz

NGD, picked up a Dove Pro. I'm a hobbyist not a pro. We would perform at coffee shops etc, nothing big. Jammed on Saturday with my buds. Very please so far. Battery crapped out in 3 hours. Fresh one installed in 5 minutes. Helps to have long fingers. For 400.00 this is a nice acoustic. Will change the strings next week, hope it will be even better. Anyone have this model? Your opinions would be interesting to hear.

By the way, welcome to the forum! First off, I can't tell you anything about the Dove Pro except that I've been considering buying one for a while now and wonder if there's any information you can pass along. Visually, they look great, and I doubt that they sound exactly like the Gibson Dove - I'd appreciate getting a take from someone who actually plays one. The electronics, as long as they work Ok, aren't that much of a concern. How's the tonal balance, and is the bass halfway decent? Is the neck comfortable for someone with big hands? Just general stuff....

• 1 month later...

By the way, welcome to the forum! First off, I can't tell you anything about the Dove Pro except that I've been considering buying one for a while now and wonder if there's any information you can pass along. Visually, they look great, and I doubt that they sound exactly like the Gibson Dove - I'd appreciate getting a take from someone who actually plays one. The electronics, as long as they work Ok, aren't that much of a concern. How's the tonal balance, and is the bass halfway decent? Is the neck comfortable for someone with big hands? Just general stuff....

Sorry for the long wait to my reply. Thanks for the welcome. The Dove is surprisingly good compared with the purchase price. The sound is nice and bright, what I was expecting from a maple back and sides built guitar. The sound is nice and full, lots of bass. The electronics work well pulled in to my Fender amp. I am planning to start taking it to rehearsals next week now that I am used to playing it. I haven't played a Gibson Dove so I can't comment on comparing them. I bought a Canadian built case for it but it would have been nice to get a Epi case specifically for this guitar. I just couldn't find one here. Perhaps I should post a pic.

Sorry for the long wait to my reply. Thanks for the welcome. The Dove is surprisingly good compared with the purchase price. The sound is nice and bright, what I was expecting from a maple back and sides built guitar. The sound is nice and full, lots of bass. The electronics work well pulled in to my Fender amp. I am planning to start taking it to rehearsals next week now that I am used to playing it. I haven't played a Gibson Dove so I can't comment on comparing them. I bought a Canadian built case for it but it would have been nice to get a Epi case specifically for this guitar. I just couldn't find one here. Perhaps I should post a pic.

Sure - it'd be nice to see it. Appreciate the reply, too. I play a '68 Dove a good share of the time, but would like something similar in appearance that sounds good/plays well for applications where the weather's not friendly outdoors, travel, and such. The Epi cases I've checked out are nice, but I have on older low-mileage Harptone that should be OK, assuming the guitar's length is about normal. I like the idea that the DP electronics don't interfere with the guitar's appearance. I'm kind of an acoustic snob when it comes to controls that show from the outside. My experience with maple is that it's usually prone to be bright or dark and never the twain shall meet - bright with a decent bass is wonderful.

Sure - it'd be nice to see it. Appreciate the reply, too. I play a '68 Dove a good share of the time, but would like something similar in appearance that sounds good/plays well for applications where the weather's not friendly outdoors, travel, and such. The Epi cases I've checked out are nice, but I have on older low-mileage Harptone that should be OK, assuming the guitar's length is about normal. I like the idea that the DP electronics don't interfere with the guitar's appearance. I'm kind of an acoustic snob when it comes to controls that show from the outside. My experience with maple is that it's usually prone to be bright or dark and never the twain shall meet - bright with a decent bass is wonderful.

Finally picture attached.post-78162-086593100 1465566931_thumb.jpg

That's a fine looking guitar! The burst looks a bit unusual compared to what I've seen previously, and I like it. From the picture, it kind of captures the faded look that sunburst Doves and H'birds attain over time.

That's a fine looking guitar! The burst looks a bit unusual compared to what I've seen previously, and I like it. From the picture, it kind of captures the faded look that sunburst Doves and H'birds attain over time.

The only knock is the strap button on the lower bout. Also the amp jack. Hard to keep the strap attached.

IMHO, the end pin jack is an abomination. People say they're not a problem, so I suspect they'll continue to be the standard. There are a couple doodads on the market that are supposed to help secure the strap to that kind of rig, but I haven't yet tried any of them. Never had difficulty with conventional buttons on the heel, though. I've been known to remove electronics entirely in order to install a more typical end pin on guitars that weren't destined to be plugged in.

Archived