Gibson Brands Forums

Which current Gibson solidbody models are lightweight?

Jericho-79

Hey everyone. I need all you experts to fill me in on this one.

I had to stop playing my Gibson LP Custom Black Beauty because it was doing a number on my back muscles.

I'm looking for a Gibson solidbody model that is lightweight or weight-relieved. Ideally, one without a pickguard.

I hear that the current line of Les Pauls are chambered, and thus, are easy on the back and shoulders.

So which current Gibson solidbody models are lightweight?

Off the top of my head, I can name only a few.

Some examples-

LP Studio 2015

LP Standard 2008

LP Standard Premium 2014

LP Standard Plus 2014

LP Melody Maker

LP Standard 2014 ETune

LP '60s/'70s Tribute

PLJ

I also like the SG, the Firebird, the Nighthawk Studio, and the RD Artist- even though they're not LPs. In addition, the LP Studio Lite (one of my all-time personal favorites) is no longer in production.

Any suggestions, guys?

Thanks everyone!

I've got a chambered Les Paul '60s Tribute that's pretty light, at 7.3 lbs. But, to me it doesn't sound quite the same as a traditional solid body Les Paul. Not bad, just different. The other forms of weight relief, such as wagon wheel and swiss cheese, might get closer to the vintage feel. But, 7.3 is definitely a nice weight.

I got a new 2106 SG Standard a couple weeks ago, and that thing just blows me away. Slightly over 7 lbs., and extremely resonant. The only Les Pauls I've ever played that sing like this thing have been either very heavy, or very expensive. The setup was perfect right out of the box, and I love the neck and the fret work. For the money, if you need something light, I don't think you can beat an SG.

Of course, every time I look at that SG, I flash back to the 1970s. I get visions of a metal flake purple conversion van lurching up to a curb. The side door opens, and a cloud of pot smoke wafts out. A long-haired stoner in bell bottoms stumbles out holding an SG, and a tambourine with a peace symbol scrawled on it with magic marker. So I've been avoiding SGs all my life - I never liked some of the company they keep.

If you're not of a certain age, this may not be a factor for you.

I have a chambered LP. 7 1/4 pounds. Plenty light.

I agree they don't sound quite the same as the full 8-10 pound LP, but I also believe weight has a direct impact on sound, chambered or not.

You can NOT tell it's chambered, no hollow sounds knocking on it, it just sounds like a lightweight guitar. Very likely similar to any other 7 lb solid body, like those thin LP's or a bit SG like (although the SG has a longer neck, which also would have an impact).

Point of all this, is chambered LP's are no longer in vogue, but you should be able to find them easily and readily because of that. And maybe even cheaper, too.

Yeah the Les Paul Les Plus is pretty cool.. Id like one of those.

Much thinner than a normal LP

I have a Less+ and its my lightest solid guitar. However its 2015 only, so has 2015 features, which the Gibson faithful hated.

Chambered LPs: I think they could make them lighter by pumping helium into the chambers ;)

Do the Les Plus and the Custom Lite come without the pickguard?

The LP Less Plus has a removable (no screws) pickguard that simply pulls off.

If the Custom Classic 'Lite' II = 'Light' as here, then its a 2014 model with regular pickguard (screws). You can still remove it of course.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Custom-Classic-Light.aspx

Archived