Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Blueshawk???

Golden

They have a familiar sound if you ask me. Very similar to Bernard Allison here. I played a few and they remind me of his tone here, Imho the stock Blueshawks have a signature tone and kinda have a bark, but they were noisy electronically too. I haven't played the Epi. The Gibsons have doubled in price. You cant even find a excellent cond Chicago Blue and I heard the Epis sound very good. I guess you have to actually play one. [biggrin] Never see them around though I haven't seriously looked.

1460673790[/url]' post='1760875']

Anyone playing the Epi Blueshawk, it looks awesome and sounds like its built quite well. Does the rotary work the same as a Gibson? Push-pull tone 3-way? I haven't seen one in person yet to play.

Thanks

I have GAS for a Blueshawk soooooo bad..natural finish....soon....very very soon...eusa_pray.gif

I like them both! I've owned an '06 BH in ebony for almost 10 years and it is one of my favorite guitars. It hasn't been out of rotation since it arrived.

I have played two of the new Epi models. Pretty nice. Very nice for the price! Definitely a difference in the sound of the alder body and the hog epi, or is it the pups? I can't say for sure. But the Epiphones didn't seem to have the spank I can get from the Gibson. but they did have more than a bit of growl.

One of these days I'll find one of the Epis when I can also find the money to pay for it. I think they are different enough to warrant having that little hog wallowing around.

D.

They look great and the Varitone gives a ton of tonal possibilities. The demo that I've seen had some very nice tones from the 25.5" scale neck. The problem with internet based demos is the lack of sound quality, it's almost impossible to hear the true tone of an instrument with the compression on the audio. Nevertheless, the Blueshawk was still very interesting and definitely had its own sound. They're usually not in stock at the local shop but if one ever comes in I'd love to try one.

• 2 months later...

Normally am a dyed in the wool Fender guy ( with a small Rick addiction as well ).

I have had several Epis over the years and have owned a '74 Les Paul Custom since new, I just could not get what is in my head out of them.

My neck started giving me problems last year and I needed a lighter guitar. I played several of the semi hollow Telecasters which where pretty darn cool, but they were not that light and had a somewhat limited tonal palette.

I then got my hands on the Epi Blueshawk and just fell in love. It is super light ( <6 lbs ), the P90s are really traditional sounding by themselves but then really open up new possibilities with the varitone.

I have had it for about 3 months now and really have not played much else. I still need a Strat to get those glass like tones, and the Rick 12 string is it's own animal, but for a pick up and play guitar the BluesHawk has become it.

I will say it sounds best with my amp set just to where the tubes start to breakup, play it light and it is sweet as molasses, push it and it really growls.

My understanding is the P90s in it are closer to the original Gibson P90s then the P100s that are in the Gibson BluesHawk, I could not play two of the side by side, but I do know that the one I have is pretty outstanding.

The one issue I have had with it is the volume pot, there is a big difference from 0 to about 3, then not that much from 3 to 10. Once the new wears off I will try a couple of audio taper pots with different percentages to see what works best.

Regards,

-Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Not offended really, but as to why an Epi, isn't it obvious?

The person wants an Epi rather than a Gibson, the person can't afford a Gibson, the person CAN afford a Gibson but doesn't wanna spend that much money, or the person suffers from an irrational fear of the letter "G".

There, matter resolved for all time.

The point is we like what we like for our own reasons.

Don't flame the other guy's choice.

For me Epis fit the bill perfectly, I could buy Gibson, a couple of grand isn't a fortune these days but I don't gig anymore so why bother?

What's the BFD?

Name on the headstock aside, these are 2 different guitars. Shaped about the same but 2 totally different sounds.

Alder vs. mahogany. Different! Blues90 vs.P90 Pro pickups. Different!

So let's try to get passed the idea that the name/country of origin makes any difference.

IT'S THE SOUND THAT MATTERS!

And you can't make the sound if you ain't got the guit.

So buy the EPI and play the H out of it. You'll be glad you did.

And when you find a Gibson that you can afford, buy it! Play the H out of it.

You'll be glad you did.

• 1 year later...

I bought a sapphire blue Epi Blueshawk over a year ago. I love playing it, it is one of my most versatile guitars. Not to mention the killer p-90 sound. When it comes to Asian mass produced guitars, remember China's about 1000 years ahead of us in wood working and have forgotten more about high gloss finishing than you can imagine. oops I digress... No matter where your guitar was manufactured each one has its individual characteristics. I was lucky with mine, it has a straight neck with low action and plays very well. I put Grover Tuners on it because the Epi Deluxe keys wore out after about 6 months. I just recently acquired a 97 Gibson BluesHawk and found the Epi and Gibson to be quite comparable in play-ability and tone. I love playing both of them. I originally bought the Epi Blueshawk because I couldn't find a good deal on the Gibson. I do not regret buying the Epi at all..

john

Anyone playing the Epi Blueshawk, it looks awesome and sounds like its built quite well. Does the rotary work the same as a Gibson? Push-pull tone 3-way? I haven't seen one in person yet to play.

Thanks

It has been a while since i played one, I would say there is very little difference between the Gibby and the Epi.

NOT THAT I AM IN ANY WAY TRYING TO HELP GUITAR CENTER>>>>BUT, they have that blue on in stock ready to ship for 549.00 with free shipping.

If you have a GC near you, ask the manager to order it in for you to demo, MOST managers will be happy to do so as long as your a serious buyer.

Good luck, and be sure to work a deal for a case to come with it, any hollow body should have a case to protect it.

Blueshawk cases.... I ordered mine with the recommended Epiphone SG case and found that it fits kind of loose. fortunenately I have a Deluxe Gibson SG case that fits much better.. But.... The best fitting overall for the Blueshawk is the Gibson Les Paul Chainsaw case.. (not a standard LP case the contours are different).. the LP Chainsaw case internal space is different and will fit both LP's and Bluesahawks... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my Gibson BluesHawk (a wonderful guitar) for a while now and my Epiphone Blueshawk for about a year. There are a few subtle differences, the Epiphone is louder, a little heavier, has a slightly wider and thinner neck which is about 1/8" farther outboard from the body making frets 20 thru 22 a bit easier to play. The only thing wrong that I found, with the Epi, was the tuners wore out quickly and I replaced them with Grover 135N's. See my Blueshawk/BlueHawk post in the BluesHawk Club. After playing them side by side for a while, I feel, the subtle differences in the Eiphone Blueshawk are improvements.

[thumbup]

BHawkMEPOP.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gibson BluesHawk vs Epiphone Blueshawk finish..

The last few months here in Hawaii have been very humid. My 20 year old Gibson BluesHawk is starting to show fractures in the Nitrocellulose finish particularly around the F holes. They may have already been there but not so prevalent.

The Epiphone Blueshawk with its Polyurethane finish is doing just fine..

Gibson BluesHawk vs Epiphone Blueshawk finish..

The last few months here in Hawaii have been very humid. My 20 year old Gibson BluesHawk is starting to show fractures in the Nitrocellulose finish particularly around the F holes. They may have already been there but not so prevalent.

The Epiphone Blueshawk with its Polyurethane finish is doing j.'kj

I have a recently made Blueshawk in blue that has a weird looking fingerboard on it .Is there something else being used in place of rosewood on these ?It is very smooth and tightly grained,could it be torrefied granadillo ?

Thanks.

Archived