Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrade pickups

Z3P

I just started playing guitar again after a 25 year break. I forgot how much i enjoyed playing.

I dug out my epi les paul standard that i bought new back in 1989. Question i have for you all is should i upgrade pickups to gibson burstbucker pros? Will it better the sound or should i just get a used gibson.

I like(d) Burstbuckers, but I'm not sure they're the pup of choice for A Les Paul. PAF '57s? Or ProBuckers?

Take your time. I'm sounding like a broken record about it, but do check out the new PlusTop Pro's (with ProBuckers) from Epiphone as well.

Thank You both for your replies. Not 100% sure but think I am getting dirty finger in bridge for ozzy type stuff and classic 57 in neck for zeppelin type stuff.

Is it nessary to also change pots?

Just keep in mind that the pickups you mentioned will cost about as much as the guitar is worth. You may consider looking at a new guitar.

Just my 2 cents. Certainly Do whatever benefits you.

Best of luck!

just get a used gibson.

Well when you consider the price of a covered set of Gibsons pick-ups new and hopefully you don't need Gold thats about a $400 set. Depends how much you like the guitar your playing, You know Gibson Specials are the entry level Gibsons and historically priced pretty well. For a hundred or so more you could be rocking a 60 Tribute SG with BB 1 and 2s or something similar.

The flip side is if the guitar is an exceptionally nice player youve become accustomed to then you may want to upgrade. Sentimental attachment too. [biggrin]

I'll throw some other upgrade options your direction, with the Burstbucker Pro set as reference.

Gibson Burstbucker Pro - $300 for a set

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set - $235 gold, $198 nickel

Seymour Duncan '59 Set - $130 no cover, $193 gold

DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary - $150 gold, nickel, black or zebra

Stewart MacDonald ("StewMac") Golden Age humbuckers - $95 black / zebra no cover, $120 nickel or gold

Tonerider - several humbucker options, including Alnico II Classic & Alnico IV Classic, $100 black no cover and $110 gold or nickel

I've stuck with pickups that are vintage-voiced, given that Burstbucker Pros are rather low-output as humbuckers go.

Personally, the best humbuckers I've ever had were an Epiphone Elitist set. The bridge had a nice attack, and the neck was airy and articulate. You can find a used set for $158. I don't know the seller at all, BTW - they're just fantastic pickups. I've also been very happy with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, which sound fantastic clean (overdriven too, but IMO it's harder to find humbuckers that sound good playing clean on a Les Paul), and for good reason - they were designed in collaboration between Seymour Duncan himself and the man who invented the humbucker, Seth Lover.

Here's a review comparing Seth Lovers & Burstbuckers.

The '59s will have a slight increase in treble compared to the Seth Lover, while the SL is more midrange-heavy.

Here's a thread on The Gear Page comparing the DiMarzio PAF vs the Gibson Burstbuckers. Long story short, DiMarzio PAFs are more mellow and airy than the Burstbucker.

The StewMac and Tonerider also get largely positive reviews.

Personally, if you like the sound of the Burstbuckers but not the price, then I'd go for the Seymour Duncan '59s, or for the StewMac Golden Age. They're all in the same ballpark tone-wise.

you would want to change out everything (pots, switch, pickups) the pre-90s Epiphones did not come with very good electronics.

I think by the time your done upgrading, you'll be real close to the cost of a second hand Les Paul Tribute Plus.

Which are excellent guitars. interesting in something new? look here

Whith the information given by everyone I agree that the upgrades will be about the value of the guitar.

To me the guitar is priceless, it is my first guitar. I also think it plays great. I know I will never sell it.

I will definitely look at some lower priced gibsons, maybe I can bond wuth one as much as the epi I have.

Here is a pic of my epi.

20160415_143231_001_zps24okvn5e.jpg

Not 100% sure but think I am getting dirty finger in bridge for ozzy type stuff and classic 57 in neck for zeppelin type stuff.

For Jimmy Page sound I would definitely recommend a pickup with Alnico V magnets, e.g. a Gibson Burstbucker Pro.

I've got 3 Les Pauls, an Epiphone Black Beauty with Gibson Classic 57 (Alnico II) neck PU, an Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard with 50SR (Alnico V) neck PU, and a Gibson Joe Bonamassa Goldtop with Seymour Duncan JB signature (Alnico II) neck PU.

Only the Elite 50SR Alnico V pickup really nails the Led Zeppelin sound. See also Seymour Duncans Jimmy Page signature set "Whole Lotta Humbucker". These are also Alnico V.

that is nice..

that headstock... it does not "look" traditional epiphone, I think that some of those were MIJ???

as another option, you could search out eBay for some Seymour Duncans like an SH1 (Neck) and a JB (Bridge).. this are great combos for any LP.

I have a set in my 03 standard, originally the first Burst Buckers were in there, but I didn't really like what they were doing for me. pots and a switch from Stew Mac wont set you back big.

yep! that's not a bad price given it's everything you need in one shot... that makes it a little bit easier to make the conversion.

it is a nice les paul you have there, if it's worth it to YOU to put better pups and parts in there. GO FOR IT!

What some of us are just pointing out is the unfortunate truth you wont recoup the investment should you decide to sell, if you are not planning that, it's a game changer.

AND it's cheaper than buying a new axe, and you'll have "your old axe" but with superior sounding pickups and associated hardware.

I totally agree of the monetary value of the guitar. I know it is at most worth $400- $500.

I know i will never sell her, she is special too me. It was my first decent guitar, which I saved up for and bought new. I have had it now for 27 years.

I am kinda torn between upgrading it or just getting a cheaper gibson. Or just not doing either and just enjoy it as is.

It isnt an elite, it is a 1989 traditional. It is a great guitar, it was first year with a gibson licenced through neck. The head stock was on the 89 then changed in 90 to current shape.

Not traditional, i ment standard.

I am kinda torn between upgrading it or just getting a cheaper gibson. Or just not doing either and just enjoy it as is.

OK I see, you like the guitar and its been around some time, I don't see any problem putting new pick-ups in it. The real question is does the guitar need them or are you un happy with the sonic capability?

Everything I have researched for the past few months says it is very easy to. Below is off one site.

One of the coolest things about Epiphone guitars is that they're almost all made with Gibson body styles and dimensions. That means that with out modifications you can replace your Epiphone pickups with genuine Gibson pickups.

Now I cannot say 100% but I am close to it.

One more "stupid" question, if i get the gibson pickups and pots will the epiphone pickup rings and knobs fit?

IME, no, especially with a late 80s vintage model. AFAIK, The pot shafts are not the same size regarding the pickup rings, really not sure on that. Maybe someone else will know.

Oh sorry I saw the pickups but did not even register that you said Pots.....oh so sorry.

No you will have to widen the holes for the pots. I just did a Studio and a Junior. Both times I had to widen the holes. The pickups were a breeze. The Pots...different story. Still easy enough to do. I am not very bright and I did it 6 times.

Archived