Gibson Brands Forums

57's vs 490 498

Roach

MY 2000 LP Special w/humbuckers came with 490/498 hums. My 2015 studio has 57's. Is it normal for the 57 bridge pu to be so...er...um...lack of better word...quacky, sounds like a duck? Though i loved the sound of my 2000 special with the 490/498's, the bridge p/u was great until not one year passed and it went bad. Unfortunate that I voided the warranty by letting someone try to fix the guitar, but I am wondering if I was too anxious to get a new les paul, (the 2015 studio), and should have considered finding one with the pickups i love so much or if maybe i should consider buying a set of those and put em in my studio? unless i can somehow learn to get the best from what i got? Any suggestions?

I've been using 57s since they came out, "quack" is not a word I have ever used to describe them. Does that guitar have coil taps?

rct

I dont know what you mean. it does have push/pull pots if thats what you mean

Does the sound change when you push/pull the volumes?

rct

yes but i am referring to the treble humbucker when the push/pull pot is down not when only one coil is on and it is up.

If quack isnt the word maybe the word is squaky, thin, slappy...idk. Too much high, almost no mid, and absolutely no lows, or way too much mids and no lows, i cannot seem to eq the tinny, (like am radio compression), tone out of it unless i reduce the tone pot to basically off and there it loses all its goodness,... Is that normal for the 57? Is it just a matter of adjustments or is that just its nature?

btw i loved the 490/498's but id hate to give up on this studio and replace brand new pick ups, but i guess that might be the ultimate solution huh?

MY 2000 LP Special w/humbuckers came with 490/498 hums. My 2015 studio has 57'

Think of it this way the 2000 would be similar to a 57-57+ set. What you now have is similar to a 490-490 set and with single coil tones due to push-pull pots.

What you could do if your not liking the 57 bridge is swap it for the 498 or 57+ with 4 conductor leads and you should be good.

Its not uncommon but many players prefer the 57 classic and the 490 for a bridge also. So its really a matter of a give and take thing and probably why they still build models both ways'

Peace

If quack isnt the word maybe the word is squaky, thin, slappy...idk.

Check which coils are being used also with the tap. I have seen Gibson use the inner coils for example on the Pro-II LP. You can swap the leads around for example to the outer coils. I don't know I'm not familiar with your guitar but they DO wire the inner coils for sc tones which makes a difference also.

So check it out IF you opt for the pick-up change keep that in mind also during the change. [thumbup]

Peace

Check which coils are being used also with the tap. I have seen Gibson use the inner coils for example on the Pro-II LP. You can swap the leads around for example to the outer coils. I don't know I'm not familiar with your guitar but they DO wire the inner coils for sc tones which makes a difference also.

So check it out IF you opt for the pick-up change keep that in mind also during the change. [thumbup]

Peace

its a 2015 studio. Im told has a classic on neck and a plus for bridge.

It is with both coils in the treble pick up on, that it sounds all spanky. what i am getting from your post seems like it would only affect the single coil option? am i missing something? I am kinda regretting my impatient move to settle for this, but it has been made mine now, so...

and i am very glad i settled for the lighter studio. see i am conflicted

its a 2015 studio. Im told has a classic on neck and a plus for bridge.

It is with both coils in the treble pick up on, that it sounds all spanky. what i am getting from your post seems like it would only affect the single coil option? am i missing something? I am kinda regretting my impatient move to settle for this, but it has been made mine now, so...

and i am very glad i settled for the lighter studio. see i am conflicted

Yes it will only change the sc option, but my point is if you are changing the bridge pup or both then be aware of this also as the change as mentioned will give you imo more meaty sc tones. Outside opposed to inside coils.

So the sc tones sound OK to you as is or no?

As far as the pickups, you have the 57+ not the classic is what your specifically now saying and prefer the 498? Or you think something is wrong with the pick-up or pole adjustment? You simply may prefer the 490/498 set and need to swap pick-ups. You prefer the 490 neck over the 57 also?

Nothing wrong with preferring one pup over another, regardless of what others like or what is the hip flavor of the time.

Also, I think it's GOOD to buy a guitar based on what the guitar plays and feels and sounds like, and swap pups. Pups can be swapped, these other things can not.

Having said that, when experimenting with new pups (as in not what you are used to), it's good to also adjust the amp. Also, don't be afraid to make the tone controls part of your sound, that's what they are there for. In fact, it's good to have somewhere to go on the adjustment rather than just "down".

Pup height is an important adjustment.

Last bit of "advice", don't let it bother you, have fun with it. You can always swap to the pups you know you like. You aren't in a crisis, you are messing around with a good sounding guitar finding sounds you may like or not like. That's a good life.

You aren't in a crisis, you are messing around with a good sounding guitar finding sounds you may like or not like. That's a good life.

[thumbup] Nothing uncommon with the 490/498 being preferred either.

Someone would likely swap the 57-57+ for the 490-498 set also.

I'll say put regular old 57/57+ in it, regular pots. Push/Pull Coil Split/Tap rarely makes guitar players happy, and the rare occasions it does, it isn't for long.

Sounds to me like along the way to the coil tap/split something went awry with yer back pickup. The two halves of humbucker are probably reversed, something like that, magnetically. A pickup guy will come along any minute now and explain it way better.

57s are as close as I've ever gotten to the three or four sets of PAFs I was lucky enough to use as a kid. Quack is never a word, not when they are put in right. And by right I mean no tap/split stuff.

rct

Yes it will only change the sc option, but my point is if you are changing the bridge pup or both then be aware of this also as the change as mentioned will give you imo more meaty sc tones. Outside opposed to inside coils.

So the sc tones sound OK to you as is or no?

As far as the pickups, you have the 57+ not the classic is what your specifically now saying and prefer the 498? Or you think something is wrong with the pick-up or pole adjustment? You simply may prefer the 490/498 set and need to swap pick-ups. You prefer the 490 neck over the 57 also?

The single coil is not an option i use, nice the option is there, but the main reason i bought a LP was for that sweetness Gibson humbuckers are famous for.

I just was asking if the sound i tried to put into words is normal for that pu or DO i need pole adjustments? idk... The neck pu I do not have a problem with, even though it is a lil muddy, and if i do get a 498 for the bridge i think i would want the 490 in the neck. Just as a set.

Just wanted to see if someone recognizes that slap happy spanky disco funk quacking squak sound and had a simple fix and see if replacements is my best bet... as i said i been trying hard to eq it out on my amps tone adjustments but no luck. at first i thought it might have been due to the brass nut it came with. I have since put in the titanium nut which fixed many sounds that were not pleasant as well as tuning issues, but it didnt make the pu less funky.

I think you are all correct, it is most likely a preference thing... its like chasing a dragon maybe, trying to get that feeling again hehe i never did get another 498 for my 2000, i was given a couple p/u's for it but neither are 498's i think one maybe a 57, but i am not even sure if it is the right one for the bridge... Dont really play that guitar anymore...

Thx

I'll say put regular old 57/57+ in it, regular pots. Push/Pull Coil Split/Tap rarely makes guitar players happy, and the rare occasions it does, it isn't for long.

Sounds to me like along the way to the coil tap/split something when awry with yer back pickup. The two halves of humbucker are probably reversed, something like that, magnetically. A pickup guy will come along any minute now and explain it way better.

57s are as close as I've ever gotten to the three or four sets of PAFs I was lucky enough to use as a kid. Quack is never a word, not when they are put in right. And by right I mean no tap/split stuff.

rct

the site says the pu's are "Screw side is the south pole of magnet", not really knowing much with that stuff

Didn't have time to read all posts, so sorry if you already did this.....

Try is to lower the pickup height. That should make a world of difference.

it only lessened the total output of that pickup really. it didnt seem to change the amount of (new word), squacking when only that p/u is selected. i dont even mind it with switch in middle but its kinda extremely different when switch it on treble (or down). It becomes a duck or goose or sometimes one of each. i think the difference from a 57 and a 498t is another extreme that i hope is all that i am being confronted with. That choice for me is easy...I really liked the 498t . The high notes had a way of cutting through the lows without drowning them out, like the intro to rock candy - montrose. for example. Also when you hit a G chord you feel the bite and the sting. I dont get that from this 57, not even close

thx for the suggestion

So whats the game plan, new bridge p-u? You might want to go with a 498. [biggrin] What did you get the guitar for a gift or something? Sounds broke, did you select it like that? Do those bridge pups usually squack as a attribute of quality or something thats being sold by Gibson?

I think we can say at this point either you have a faulty pick-up or your not a fan of the 57+ bridge? You sound like you know what YOU like and seem to have basic pick-up set-up experience, So its really the same question, whats the game plan? And how the heck did you end up with a guitar you can't stand the sound of, it sounded different from the start and the sound changed? I don't get that part. Is it broke?

If your not playing the guitar and don't like the sound why not sell it? Do you like the feel, play and neck, solid QC? I just don't understand how you came upon this banshee screaming LP to begin with.

it only lessened the total output of that pickup really. it didnt seem to change the amount of (new word), squacking when only that p/u is selected. i dont even mind it with switch in middle but its kinda extremely different when switch it on treble (or down). It becomes a duck or goose or sometimes one of each. i think the difference from a 57 and a 498t is another extreme that i hope is all that i am being confronted with...

That is not what you are being confronted with. Something is wrong with the coil tapping/splitting of your pickups. 57s in no way I have ever heard come close to squacking, not in lots of guitars including two I am still using regularly. A 57 should sound like your 498 but a tad less output.

rct

i got the guitar because i was impatient, and the selection was weak that day. I got some cash and set out to get a les paul, that very day. I do like the guitar other than the one pu by itself.

Though I should have waited to find the one i was hoping to get, I have put a bit into this one and for sure not getting rid of it. I am not sure if a pole adjustment could solve my issue, im not sure how to set that up properly. You are cool to drill me on what im going to do about it, though. I was getting feedback here to see if its kinda the way a 57 is, or if it might be bad, or if a simple adjustment can solve it , and get opinions if i should just get the 4's that i already KNOW i love.

Also wondered if it is sounding this way because of the zero fret titanium nut?

It would not surprise me if the p/u is faulty because that happened to me on my 2000, after only 8-10 months. It was producing a horrible false harmonic on the b-string that could not be resolved after checking all other possibilities, even did that it another guitar, never got another 498 for it. That was a different issue at a different time. I suspect if something was really wrong with the p/u, that it would have something that i would know is not right. The fact i am not sure if this is how it should sound, probably tells me its just that i prefer the 498t. I mean if it was really bad i would probably hear something that i would KNOW isnt right??

I am going to continue to try eq'ing at amp today and try all the amps i have, (3), or 4 if you count my ax1000 radio toy transmitter (heehee). Am I allowed to load clips? or how would i let you hear it. (im not very good)

Thanks for hearing me think.

"edit": **** it is probably the the mid setting on amp... i must say i did spend allot of time on it. i mean enough that i dont remember what i did specifically, what i tried and retried and might have not tried...

If you really like 498 you will really like a 57 Classic Plus. The difference between all of the 57s you have used and all of the 57s I have used is the push/pull coil split/tap. Period.

Pickups up and pickups down will not change something that you perceive as "quacky", they will only clarify and de-clarify the pickups. "setting" pole screws does absolutely nothing, never has and never will.

No nut ever made two very similar pickups sound, what it appears to be to me, vastly different, because a quacky 57 is in my opinion, vastly different.

The amp isn't going to do much, if anything. I use all kindsa pickups and rarely move bass mids and trebs off of noon, that'show little difference it usually makes.

Go to the store or find a friend or anyone that has 57s and try their guitar, you'll see.

If the difference is that great, there is something wrong. If someone else plays your guitar and their 57s and hears not much difference at all, it is you hearing it that way.

rct

i got the guitar because i was impatient, and the selection was weak that day. I got some cash and set out to get a les paul, that very day.

So it didn't quack then or it did? Im confused about wtf happened during this purchase? You bought in person your LP among many, surely they had a 498 Studio, the freaking things are like a teen right of passage in America for the last 25 years, and you selected a guitar you didn't like the sound of? [biggrin]

So your one of those remorseful buyers? rotfl, your funny man.

If you really like 498 you will really like a 57 Classic Plus. The difference between all of the 57s you have used and all of the 57s I have used is the push/pull coil split/tap. Period.

Pickups up and pickups down will not change something that you perceive as "quacky", they will only clarify and de-clarify the pickups. "setting" pole screws does absolutely nothing, never has and never will.

No nut ever made two very similar pickups sound, what it appears to be to me, vastly different, because a quacky 57 is in my opinion, vastly different.

The amp isn't going to do much, if anything. I use all kindsa pickups and rarely move bass mids and trebs off of noon, that'show little difference it usually makes.

Go to the store or find a friend or anyone that has 57s and try their guitar, you'll see.

If the difference is that great, there is something wrong. If someone else plays your guitar and their 57s and hears not much difference at all, it is you hearing it that way.

rct

Cool, thankscool.gif

So it didn't quack then or it did? Im confused about wtf happened during this purchase? You bought in person your LP among many, surely they had a 498 Studio, the freaking things are like a teen right of passage in America for the last 25 years, and you selected a guitar you didn't like the sound of? [biggrin]

So your one of those remorseful buyers? rotfl, your funny man.

No you are taking it way out of context.

I did not plug it in at all, sir. First, i believe the sound of the guitar NOT plugged in is the best way to hear the actual quality of the guitar itself.

Secondly that was the only studio in the store, as i said i was determined to buy a guitar that day, then and there.

It was an impulse buy, i didnt even think it was possible to not like it. But i certainly have no remorse and i dont think preferring one p/u over another means that you hate the one that you prefer less

I spent way less then i intended to, but i was loving the color and the guy said it came with case, that was the thing that sold me on it,

(GC normally gives great discount but makes you buy the case separate.) This case is a pretty big improvement over the previous cases from gibson for les pauls. The support on the head/neck is way better.

They had maybe 6 LP'S in that store that day 3 or 4 of them were out of my price range and that left me with a traditional in baby blue (gag) or the studio in MM. i think they had a couple specials or similare with flat top didnt even pay them any mind

It was an impulse buy,

Definitely and your quite honest, a fine quality these days. [thumbup] So what are you gonna do about the pick-up?

What model LP exactly did you buy, you have a photo of this beast? [biggrin]

This LP is developing quite a story you may have to keep this. So you liked it acoustically and the feel, weight, neck etc. Thats all a good thing. Hope, there's hope then.

Your first hit song could be called the, "The Impulse Buyers Blues". [flapper]

So you had a $1000. burning a hole in your pocket and you jetted down to the local music store to rock that lonely blue LP you were staring at hanging on the wall, the Blue, Blue, Blue Les Paul? Wow, classic delta blues stuff man.

Definitely and your quite honest, a fine quality these days. [thumbup] So what are you gonna do about the pick-up?

What model LP exactly did you buy, you have a photo of this beast? [biggrin]

This LP is developing quite a story you may have to keep this. So you liked it acoustically and the feel, weight, neck etc. Thats all a good thing. Hope, there's hope then.

Your first hit song could be called the, "The Impulse Buyers Blues". [flapper]

So you had a $1000. burning a hole in your pocket and you jetted down to the local music store to rock that lonely blue LP you were staring at hanging on the wall, the Blue, Blue, Blue Les Paul? Wow, classic delta blues stuff man.

well i was only a couple hundred short of getting a standard, if i waited a week i could have got a standard but, i didnt as i said i was buying a guitar that day no matter what . My mind was set on a les paul i knew well and good i had enough for a studio. Glad I did NOT get a standard after all, due to the lighter weight of the studio, better on me back. Was hoping to find a white one with black pickguard, if i was going to get a studio. They had one!! but it was epiphone so i said no to that. I got the 2015 studio. my avatar is the pic of it.

Yes i am keeping the guitar for sure. I also had in mind that i will eventually get a custom, should i improve enough to justify it. Also I paid a fair amount for better tuners with 21:1 ratio and for my setup. Also color changes to pickup rings, switch cover and ring. I am going to put a pickguard on it too, i was disappointed it didnt have one.

I think the pick up problem is just a matter of my preference for the way my 2000 model with the 490/498's sounded when i first got it, before the 498 went bad. So for now im going to use both pickups with all coils blasting. Eventually Ill probably get a set of 490/498's and maybe an extra 498 for the 2000 i still have.

My link

Archived