Gibson Brands Forums

1st gig using Less+

merciful-evans

Ive been looking forward to the first time outing with the Less+ at tonights gig in Southampton.

But for some reason the neck had moved slightly, and I couldnt find the truss rod key to straighten it. It looked for a while like I would have to leave it behind & use something else but I eventually found a 5/16" socket to do the job.

Of course immediately afterwards I found the proper key.

Neck adjustment made. G-Force battery charged. Everything else set. Even the weather looks promising. Feeling good again :)

Rock It, bra.

Some calisthentics for the massive double air split at the end of that one medley of hits, and don't forget to step two back and two right for the explosions at the end of the Halen tribute.

Good luck, if you can't hit the high parts get right on that mic, keep forgetting how to open that one song, trip over bass players monitor at least once and it'll be a great night!

Oh, yeah, and luck with the Les plus less. Less. You know.

rct

ha ! [biggrin]

Well that would have been a surprise to the ska+soul crowd if nothing else. The band played great, but I had technical problems all through the first set. The Less+ was fine, but my signal processor gave me major problems.

Once I spotted the problem, I hit the toggle switch and drowned out the rest of the band with feedback (vol had been on max).

Set 2 was great and the Less+ solos went down well. I think the sound of the ES-339 is slightly better (same pickups, same SP, same amp, same EQ etc) but the sustain was terrific, even with minimal gain.

ha ! [biggrin]

Well that would have been a surprise to the ska+soul crowd if nothing else. The band played great, but I had technical problems all through the first set. The Less+ was fine, but my signal processor gave me major problems.

Once I spotted the problem, I hit the toggle switch and drowned out the rest of the band with feedback (vol had been on max).

Set 2 was great and the Less+ solos went down well. I think the sound of the ES-339 is slightly better (same pickups, same SP, same amp, same EQ etc) but the sustain was terrific, even with minimal gain.

Excellent!

I don't know what ska+soul is.

Which signal processor are you using that boggled you up?

I sound the same on all of my guitars, little thinner on the singles, which is only two of them really, but the same.

rct

Its a Line 6 Pod HD400.

I had been using an elderly Boss GT5, but the bassist tipped water over it at the last gig of 2014. That killed it.

I actually built a terrific sound with the Pod. Pretty much EXACTLY how I want to sound. I keep a bank of 4 tones for each guitar. They are the same tones but with fine adjustment to suit each guitar.

The Pod somehow got locked into FX mode only and I didnt spot it (dark with a light show going on). When I finally did, the footswitch didnt toggle it off. I had to use a separate control to restore the custom bank of sounds for the LP. [cursing]

Its a Line 6 Pod HD400.

I had been using an elderly Boss GT5, but the bassist tipped water over it at the last gig of 2014. That killed it.

I actually built a terrific sound with the Pod. Pretty much EXACTLY how I want to sound. I keep a bank of 4 tones for each guitar. They are the same tones but with fine adjustment to suit each guitar.

The Pod somehow got locked into FX mode only and I didnt spot it (dark with a light show going on). When I finally did, the footswitch didnt toggle it off. I had to use a separate control to restore the custom bank of sounds for the LP. [cursing]

I feel yer pain. I have a BOSS GT-100 that I've been setting up decent patches for a few types of songs in the hopes of one day putting it straight into the PA, or doing so in a backup situation.

But backup situations like that never happen, and we don't have enough PA to put me in because if I did, Other Guitar Player would want to too.

So for me it's a colossal waste of time but fun!

rct

rct

I was using a Fender amp. Eventually I did line out to the PA to get more volume.

(Im the only guitarist in the 7 piece band and everyone uses the PA except for me, Bass & drums). Next week I will try a smaller Fishman amp lined out to PA.

In some ways I should have gone for the Boss GT100, as the Pod is a lot more difficult to program than I expected. I should have tried them both out first I suppose.

Never mind, but I must be more careful from now on.

In some ways I should have gone for the Boss GT100, as the Pod is a lot more difficult to program than I expected. I should have tried them both out first I suppose.

I wondered that too when I was looking for an all in one for the studio, and I didn't try both I just went with one of the two names of pedal makers that has been around as long as I have and just got the BOSS. I've wondered a few times if one of the others might be "easier", although I don't really know what that would mean.

eh. Loud and clean, loud and not clean. I don't need much more.

rct

Archived