Gibson Brands Forums

Price differences

golfnut

I just purchased a Gibson R7 that I really liked. Always liked the goldtops and love the big necks. My experience with the Gibson lineup is pretty much zero as I've played Fenders all my life (about 34 years of playing electric)

I noticed that some of the other reissues seem to cost quite a bit more than my R7. I'm just wondering what makes the price differ so much? For example where i bought my R7 they had an R9 listed for more than double the price. I understand that a burst showing wood grain may have a bit of a premium over a gold top finish but what would make it double the price?

I might have found my own answer in my research. I've got a 2013 historic ( it was a brand new old stock from Long and Mcquades here in Canada) and it seems that Gibson came out with a new line "True Historic" after 2014.

So I guess my next question is are these True Historics double the price better? I paid a specialy discounted price for new old stock of $3,000 US and it seems the True Historic Gold top for 2015 is close to 7k according to the gibson site. So is this 57 true historic more than double the price better. And is the standard historic about the same as my 2013 R7?

Guest Farnsbarns

Well that's entirely subjective.

One thing to bear in mind, "True Hustoric" aside an R7 is built using the heaviest of CS body blanks while an R9 is built using the lightest quite apart from the flamed maple top which gas to have no knots etc. An R9 is usually more expensive.

One thing to bear in mind, "True Hustoric" aside an R7 is built using the heaviest of CS body blanks while an R9 is built using the lightest quite apart from the flamed maple top which gas to have no knots etc. An R9 is usually more expensive.

Well thats surprising I have a Custom Shop Nocaster thats 7.5 pounds. I haven't weighed my R7 yet but just comparing the 2 by feel, they feel exactly the same weight. I was very surprised how lite my R7 was. Especially compared to the Traditionals I've held. Geez the R9's must be the weight of SG's.

Thats a pretty significant difference.

R7 is built using the heaviest of CS body blanks while an R9 is built using the lightest quite apart from the flamed maple top which gas to have no knots etc.

I don't know that it qualifies a 100% mark-up but its significant.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well thats surprising I have a Custom Shop Nocaster thats 7.5 pounds. I haven't weighed my R7 yet but just comparing the 2 by feel, they feel exactly the same weight. I was very surprised how lite my R7 was. Especially compared to the Traditionals I've held. Geez the R9's must be the weight of SG's.

It''s subject to change. Perfect possible yours was going to be an R9 before they carved the top and found something they didn't like in the grain.

This gets posted everywhere...

weight.jpg

It''s subject to change. Perfect possible yours was going to be an R9 before they carved the top and found something they didn't like in the grain.

This gets posted everywhere...

weight.jpg

No R7 on that weight code.

7.5 pounds. I haven't weighed my R7 yet but just comparing the 2 by feel, they feel exactly the same weight.

Thats light, but it happens now and again as we see. Thats the real mojo happening imho. You know it was suppose to be a 59 but was sprayed Gold for cosmetic reasons. Thats it, we have to sand down the top and see now. [biggrin]

The R7s are the GTs though I think, sounds about right. Are the neck profiles different on various GTs?

So last night I decided to do a formal weigh in of my Nocaster and R7. Holding them up together, one in each hand they felt fairly similar, with the Nocaster feeling maybe slightly lighter.

I used the weigh myself then myself with the guitar method. I have a scale that is consistent and accurate with the doctors office.

According to this method the Nocaster was lighter than I originally thought and the R7 slightly heavier than I thought. So much for feel.

Fender Nocaster 7 lbs

Gibson R7 8.2 lbs

Guest Farnsbarns

So last night I decided to do a formal weigh in of my Nocaster and R7. Holding them up together, one in each hand they felt fairly similar, with the Nocaster feeling maybe slightly lighter.

I used the weigh myself then myself with the guitar method. I have a scale that is consistent and accurate with the doctors office.

According to this method the Nocaster was lighter than I originally thought and the R7 slightly heavier than I thought. So much for feel.

Fender Nocaster 7 lbs

Gibson R7 8.2 lbs

That''s very light for an R7. Neither a good thing or a bad thing, generally speaking. Just a preference. Some say heavy means better sustain and some say lightness means resonant. Others say both are nonsense. Interesting though. It seems likely to me that yours has a blank destined for a lighter guitar but some flaw in the cap meant it needed a solid finish once they'd carved it.

That''s very light for an R7. Neither a good thing or a bad thing, generally speaking. Just a preference. Some say heavy means better sustain and some say lightness means resonant. Others say both are nonsense. Interesting though. It seems likely to me that yours has a blank destined for a lighter guitar but some flaw in the cap meant it needed a solid finish once they'd carved it.

Strangely enough, my R7 seems to just vibrate in my hands. It sustains far longer and resonate better than any other guitar I've ever owned. This is only the second LP I've owned, a few years ago I owned a GT Traditional that I didn't end up keeping. My other electric a CS Nocaster is my main guitar and is pretty good in comparison but the R7 stomps it for resonance and sustain. Although I'm loving this R7 my Nocaster will never go or be replaced. Lets face it, I'm not going to get that spank and fender snap on an LP. But I do feel like I've got the best of both worlds having both.

The other day I had my R7 plugged in to my 1965 bassman at a fairly low volume with a lovepedal eternity at medium gain. I plucked a note and just held it with both pickups on it bloomed in to this sweet sustaining feedback. I can't wait to get this guitar on stage.

As far as certain characteristics being related to a heavy or light guitar I don't know if thats valid.

I've been playing for 40 years and never really gave the weight a second thought until I hit 50.

At that point I soon found that giving up the American standards in favor of Custom Shop models means I could find a lighter guitar that was easier on my back. Thats also the point that I found I loved big fat baseball bat necks, which also seem to be only found on the more expensive guitars.

I just purchased a Gibson R7 that I really liked. Always liked the goldtops and love the big necks. My experience with the Gibson lineup is pretty much zero as I've played Fenders all my life (about 34 years of playing electric)

I noticed that some of the other reissues seem to cost quite a bit more than my R7. I'm just wondering what makes the price differ so much? For example where i bought my R7 they had an R9 listed for more than double the price. I understand that a burst showing wood grain may have a bit of a premium over a gold top finish but what would make it double the price?

What also makes a difference is hype. The R9 is a reissue of the most desirable Les Paul ever. That alone makes the price go up a bit. But you're right, wood selection is also a part of it. The '59 Les Paul brings a lot more money than a '57 today, hence why you'd expect the reissues to reflect that, too. Just my two cents.

Archived