Gibson Brands Forums

D'Addario Nickel bronze strings

Lukec88

Hello,

Im wondering if someone already tried these strings from D"addario: Click here

I think they are new on market couse I never seen them before.

Are they any good?

Need some feedback/opinions, before ordering them. :)

Thank You!

I have a new pack....just waiting for my current strings to wear out. The strings on My Hummingbird Vintage are brand new Gibson Masterbuilts from the factory so it's gonna take me a month or so to wear them out. I also have a fresh pair of Elixer nano and poly webs that I need to try out. Just trying to decide what set to try first. Let me know if you get playing time on the Nickel Bronze strings before me.

I have a new pack....just waiting for my current strings to wear out. The strings on My Hummingbird Vintage are brand new Gibson Masterbuilts from the factory so it's gonna take me a month or so to wear them out. I also have a fresh pair of Elixer nano and poly webs that I need to try out. Just trying to decide what set to try first. Let me know if you get playing time on the Nickel Bronze strings before me.

I have Gibson stock strings on my guitar for 2 months now and I realised that the tone is not the same anymore, sounds dull and muffed, not like before. On other acoustics I mostly used Elixir nanoweb phosphor bronze and lasted me 6 months +. Now I my case I have spare of Gibsons masterbuilds but I really dont want to put them again couse they are not good in my opinion. Now im torn between Elixir & D"addario, which one to buy? So I suggest that you put D"Addarios and test them. :P

I've had a set of the light gauge on my J-15 for about five or six weeks now. I like them..a quite dark, dry tone without the overtones you get with other materials. The lower strings give a kind of dead, thumpy sound when you mute them with the side of your hand which suits the stuff I play.

Also they are still going strong with a few hours daily use for over a month, with no obvious signs of wearing out; pretty impressive for uncoated strings.

I will certainly use them again.

I had them on my Waterloo 00 got them to beta test. They are good but I like the Masterbilt Bronze strings on it better. They are quite expensive IMHO like the Curt Mangan strings I tried. I like Gibson and Martin strings fine and since I go thru them pretty quickly I like a good price too. Martin Retro is as good as the the Nickel Bronze from D'Addario IMHO

I was part of the beta test when D'Addario was sending out strings to some players. I got a set of lights and debated which guitar I own to put them on and finally decided to put them on my J-50. I found them to be excellent sounding and ended up leaving them on the guitar from Oct. 20, 2015 to March 13, 2016 when the commercial sets became available. They are very transparent and really let the sound of wood come through (to my ears) and the longevity makes up a bit for the increased price over EJ-16's. I had the opportunity to buy a ten pack of NB's once they were readily available at a great price and waffled a bit as to what gauge I should make the commitment to before deciding to go with the NB1256, light top/medium bottom. I went this way so that they would be suitable for more of the guitars in my stable. Like all strings, it takes a couple of days for them to settle in and sound "right" when you first string up. I'd even say there is more of this propensity with NB's. So hang in there and don't be too quick to diss them when you are first checking them out. I'd recommend giving them a good week to ten days before coming to conclusions.

I've got these on my J45 as we speak . I normally now use EJ16s but I gave these a try . I play with a thumbpick and finger nails and don't use a pick . The tone after about four days is wonderful , clear with a full woody bass response and they haven't showed any signs of tarnish yet , 5 stars

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any further comments, revisions, or updates?

I was thinking about ordering a set or two for my 64 SJ. That is one guitar that can easily sound tinny with coated strings, or NEW strings, for that matter. Regular strings with a few miles on them seem to work well but they change of course. And I don't usually even remember what's on it anyway.

I have an old LYS that has the same strings on it as when I bought it over a year ago. I don't dare change the strings for fear I'll lose that thump. No idea what they are.

I mean, heck, I'll buy a set just to try them, but I was curious if anyone had anything else to offer, now that the dust has settled a bit.

I too beta tested these strings and really liked them. There was a flash sale at Strings and Beyond and I just got 4 sets for less than $36 the other day. The only other string that comes close to being so transparent are Martin Retros. I like them and and Gibson masterbilts that come on the guitars.

I've got these on my J45 as we speak . I normally now use EJ16s but I gave these a try . I play with a thumbpick and finger nails and don't use a pick . The tone after about four days is wonderful , clear with a full woody bass response and they haven't showed any signs of tarnish yet , 5 stars

I agree 58 Relic, I beta tested these also and had them on my J-15. I restrung with my old standby John Pearse PB's and wasn't too happy. Got a couple more packs of Nickel Bronze and the J-15's back to its beautiful best. Think I have a new favorite string B)

I just put them on tonight and I've only played the guitar a half hour tops so it's too early to tell. My first impressions are pretty disappointing. Strange....the D string seems louder than the rest. I've owned that guitar for 32 years and it's never done that. The low E and A seem weak.

I'll leave them on a little while but so far they remind me of Black Diamonds.

Coincidentally, I just put as set of 12s on my now ready for a road test Epi Triumph archtop. As the above post notes they are bright but they do project like a son of a gun.

Yes they do. Not quiet like Pure Nickels at all.

Listening to someone else play, I can't really tell what strings they're using. Playing myself, I can at least tell between PB and these or Monel or nickle.

I'm still on the fence but I may have been quick to judge. I played some yesterday and the E and A strings woke up; it doesn't sound unbalanced. I'm not sure how I like them yet but there is a marked difference from when I first put them on.

I'm impatient with strings. I need to remember that strings on a classical take a month or so to let their personality come out. I need to give the SJ the same wide road I guess.

Archived