Gibson Brands Forums

What's the difference?

pandarocket

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me, what is the difference between the Alnico 5 magnets used in the 2016 Les Paul Standard and the Alnico V magnets used in the 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded? Or is it just someone not being consistant in the naming conventions?

Thanks

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me, what is the difference between the Alnico 5 magnets used in the 2016 Les Paul Standard and the Alnico V magnets used in the 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded? Or is it just someone not being consistant in the naming conventions?

Thanks

Just inconsistencies in typographical convention.

Just inconsistencies in typographical convention.

Are you absolutely, positively 100% 101% sure, Farns?

I had a look inside the base of a couple of my p'ups and the AlNiCo V had a sort-of 'Flying-V' shaped magnet but the AlNiCo 2 has a sort of squiggly worm thing in there instead.

Pip.

Pippy,, not sure I follow.. Alnico 2 and Alnico 5 ARE different (I know you know this.. just not sure what you're getting at)

but a V verses a 5? not sure there's anything there other than Gibson being Gibson...

Alnico 5 magnets used in the 2016 Les Paul Standard and the Alnico V magnets used in the 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded?

The difference? There is none. Your talking BB-Pros? I don't think any other A-5 magnet was used but the 498? I could be wrong.

Pippy,, not sure I follow.. Alnico 2 and Alnico 5 ARE different (I know you know this.. just not sure what you're getting at)

but a V verses a 5? not sure there's anything there other than Gibson being Gibson...

II is Traditional.

5 is standard.

Both are classic.

Thanks for your input so far it is good to know that I'm not being a complete numpty in being a tad confused by this! As I am very new to the guitar scene there are certain things I don't know, but in further invstigation it looks like the Standard (with the Alnico 5 magnets) has coil splitting push pots, but the Studio (with the Alnico V) doesn't. Can you coil split any humbucker, or do they have to be specifically designed to allow you to do so?

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks for your input so far it is good to know that I'm not being a complete numpty in being a tad confused by this! As I am very new to the guitar scene there are certain things I don't know, but in further invstigation it looks like the Standard (with the Alnico 5 magnets) has coil splitting push pots, but the Studio (with the Alnico V) doesn't. Can you coil split any humbucker, or do they have to be specifically designed to allow you to do so?

You can but it's far simpler if you start with a 4 wire pup. That way it's just the way it's connected. The magnet alloy has no bearing.

Have you played the two? Be interested in how you think the two sound in comparison.

Alas I haven't yet, I hope to this Saturday, but we'll see how it goes.

I did a little comparison on the Standard and Studio checking their pages against each other and it appears as though the bits required to bring the Studio up to the same spec as the standard would set you back £500 (including hardcase). This brings it in at a grand under the price of the standard. Now I know there isn't the binding and the flashy flame top, but if buying a Standard I'd probably go for an Ebony one anyway. The proce does include a bottle of Virtuoso Cleaner and a Bottle of Polish as well, just for the shine!

Alas I haven't yet, I hope to this Saturday,

Yeah, I'm hearing you. Though I have played and owned the faded studios with BB-Pros I haven't played this unique version as of yet. Truth be told I haven't even seen one. But I kinda like it and the new metamorphosis, I continue to be impressed how many versions of the same thing Gibson can provide.

That said, what I really don't care for are BB-Pros and in particular the bridge, "imho" I do like the Faded Studio chambered body 50 neck, its a winner for sure. To me its a winning combo with 57-57+ "imho" and it doesn't matter which Gibson they are in. You know how these things are very subjective? Thats why I humbly put "imho" in the conversation. What I did was put a 498 with the BB-Pro neck when I came upon this dilemma of the BB-Pro bridge pup. The guitar was like day and night after the operation, new animal. For those who thought the 490 was muddy but didn't like the BB-Pro bridge...this works nice. .

Either or Standard or Faded Studio. [thumbup]

I managed to get to play the Studio and it was fantastic. I could believe just how loud the pickup are on it. So I am now saving in earnest (I hope he doesn't mind being a piggy bank!). I didn't get to try out the Standard, however. The guy in the guitar shop was a bit of a ****, giving off an air of superiority and looking down his nose at anyone who he doesn't deem as worthy. Luckily everyone else in the store are great, but people like him should really be beaten around the head with a Marshall Stack!

Archived