Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Colour Finishes

Ess

Has Gibson or any other source put together an explanation and/or photographic description of the different finishes that are available?

Like Faded, Worn, Satin, Vintage Gloss, Stain, etc, etc, etc. It is all very confusing when looking to buy online. Are they all different or do they use different names for the same finish (eg. Worn and Faded)? I suspect some even have a different finish on the top compared to the back, but how is that identified in the spec sheet?

Gibson is so infuriating with all their inconsistent and illogical nomenclature... or maybe the diehards see it as quirky, and character-full?

Yes it is all very annoying marketing talk.... and Gibson have some weird naming conventions... I don't think anyone finds that fun :)

There isn't really anywhere as far as I know that has them all on a list. The best thing to do is go to the main site and look at the guitar you are interested in... like this http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard/High-Performance.aspx when you move down the page a bit all of the colour options appear down the right side.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's very annoying even if you don't buy online. It's also to such an extreme that it has to be deliberate. They must feel it serves them somehow.

It's very annoying even if you don't buy online. It's also to such an extreme that it has to be deliberate. They must feel it serves them somehow.

People don't like cheapa$$ crappy paint jobs. The abundance of stupid names for the same crappy paint jobs is a deliberate attempt to sex up things that people don't like, and confuse them at the same time.

rct

...maybe the diehards see it as quirky, and character-full?...

Yes.

...I don't think anyone finds that fun...

I do. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Let's face it; everything else about the Les Paul guitar is so hitandmissanddifferentfromoneguitartoanother why should they not get the colours mucked-up as well?

:P

Pip.

The Faded, Worn and Vintage Gloss surfaces on my Gibsons look about the same, just buffed pretty coarse. The tinted ones also came without clear coat. I don't have a Satin Gibson, but those I got hands on were silky smooth compared to that. Can't say for sure if these had a cleat coat or not. And yes, some have different surfaces on tops, sides and backs.

Stain is a different thing and as far as I know says that pigments are sprayed or rubbed directly to the wood. Depending on finish, the overspray may consist of a clear or a tinted coat. This is the way translucent bursts are done, and a purple quilt top of mine with a natural back is made this way, too. I think glossy and VOS finishes receive a final clear coat anyway, but I'm not sure if that applies to all of them.

Pheww... I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds it frustrating.

Thx capmaster for shedding a little light on the situation.

Now I just have to work out if a 50s neck is the same as a 59 neck and the XL neck... and if the slim neck is the same as the 60s neck.

Archived