Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON EXPLORER GA-15 RVT

A440

CLEANING OUT OLD MEMORIES AND THIS POPPED UP msp_thumbup.gif GIBSON GA-15 RVT SERIAL # A018742 (ON CHASSIS). ORIGINAL SPEAKER THAT I STILL HAVE WAS UPGRADED PROFESSIONALLY BY REQUEST OF THE NEXT GENERATION (MY SON) msp_cursing.gif WHODABELIEVE!!

ANY HELP OR DIRECTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED PRICING OR DATING .... I HAVE FOUND NO DATING SYSTEM ON-LINE. I AM TAKING THE AMP TO SELL AT THE ELMIRA GUITAR SHOW ON APRIL 24 AND I'M TRYING TO GET ALL PERTINENT INFO PRIOR TO ......

THANKS ALL

A440

my-music@bell.net

There are date codes on the transformers. That's the best way to tell when it was built.

If you look at the xfmrs there will be a couple of lines of codes like the one below from a 1959 Gibsonette. The bottom line is the manufacturer and date code. The last 3 digits is the date code. The first 3 are the manufacturer's code.

So the pic below shows the manufacturer code, 549, which is for Midwest Coil & Xfmr, and the date code, 941, which means that the xfmr was made in the 41st week of the year ending in 9 (1959). If you know when the xfmrs were made, then you can tell that the amp was made shortly after that. So the amp is probably from late 1959 or so.

20160107_123343_zps6apzc2cz.jpg

So look at the transformers and see what the codes are. If you post them here, we'll figure them out. [thumbup]

• 5 years later...

I am trying to figure out the year a Gibson Explorer GA-15 RVT was made.  It says Kalamazoo, Michigan.

under the knob labeled Fuse there is a number- A019206

on the speaker there is a number-  5810028

is this enough info to figure out what I need to know.  I’m trying to sell it and I have no idea what it is worth.  When I plug it in it turns on and I found a glass tube inside.

Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Sheri Hageman

rshageman@msn.com