Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone tried out the 2015 Les Paul CM?

Jericho-79

Hey guys. A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about finding the ideal lightweight LP for a relatively small-framed male player like myself.

I'm currently looking into the 2015 Les Paul CM.

Les Paul CM 2015

I like how it has a maple top and a mahogany back, yet still manages to be lightweight. The single humbucker in the bridge position is money. And it only weighs around 5-6 lbs. That's quite less than most of today's chambered LPs.

My only gripe about the LP CM is that it only comes in an ebony finish.

Before I run off to the nearest Guitar Center, I just want to get some feedback from any LP experts here who have tried the LP CM.

Has anyone here tried out the 2015 LP CM?

How does it sound?

Does it actually feel lighter than a modern chambered LP, a 2015 LP Studio, a LP Less+, or a LP Custom Lite?

Thoughts, guys?

I've never seen one but I think it's one of the "skinny" Les Pauls, looking at the picture there doesn't appear to be much depth. It should give great upper fret access I would think but I'd guess it may sound different from a "regular" Les Paul (if there is such a thing).

Ian

Hello.

My thoughts about it:

1.) Probably, it's the most useless incarnation of the Les Paul: with it's wrap-around tailpiece and the lone pickup.

2.) Contrasting the guitar's overall simplicity, it features the G-Force system. Not a coherent design concept.

3.) Too expensive for what it's got to offer.

Still, the guitar is unexplainably beautiful. I would like to have one too. But, not at this price. At half, maybe.

I would recommend the 2015 Studio instead. I guess, they are really cheap these days, as blow-out items. The Studios came in three different high-gloss finishes.

LPST15MMSN1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

Bence.

I would recommend the 2015 Studio instead. I guess, they are really cheap these days, as blow-out items. The Studios came in three different high-gloss finishes.

A 2015 LP Studio is my second choice. However, a lot of fellow Gibson players have told me that the 2015 Studio weighs as much as 8 or 9 lbs., like an old LP Standard.

A 2015 LP Studio is my second choice. However, a lot of fellow Gibson players have told me that the 2015 Studio weighs as much as 8 or 9 lbs., like an old LP Standard.

True but each guitar will vary in the weight but you would be correct that the studio will weigh more. You may want to try some out and find one with the right weight/balance for you. I'd try going to a few different dealers and try out a bunch of guitars to find one to your liking.

about the 2015 LP CM

I don’t know about anyone else but I get confused about the weight of these models.

Nowhere in the specs list does it give overall weight.

The body is 4.9lb (is this with or without pups + bridge?)

The neck is 1.4lb (is this with fingerboard and tuners?)

The fingerboard is 3.9oz

The tuners are 1.4oz (for 6 ?)

The tailpiece is 3.oz

The strap buttons are .14oz (each or per pair?)

The jack plate is .07oz

No weight is given for the pup so is it included in the neck weight?

Do we add all the weight together or is some of it duplicated (as per neck & body)?

Who knows?

about the 2015 LP CM

I don’t know about anyone else but I get confused about the weight of these models.

If you look up the guitar here http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/2016_gibson_usa.htm they give the overall weight of every guitar as well as the actual picture of the guitar you will buy so you know what the top is going to look like (a really good idea if you ask me) :)

about the 2015 LP CM

The fingerboard is 3.9oz

The tuners are 1.4oz (for 6 ?)

The tailpiece is 3.oz

The strap buttons are .14oz (each or per pair?)

The jack plate is .07oz

No weight is given for the pup so is it included in the neck weight?

Do we add all the weight together or is some of it duplicated (as per neck & body)?

Who knows?

Shouldn't you people have that all in kilohectares and celsius and such?

rct

The fingerboard is 3.9

Thats 9lbs right there with max weights and no other parts. I agree with Rabs above and I would check sights which have the info, photos and weight of the guitar in question. Like here....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPST5HGT?adpos=1o2&creative=55280244121&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw9OG4BRDJzY3jrMng4iQSJABddor1V-iSVSEtR-R1sUxEkvrYBilJ-6YukMCznOU5xk5dLhoCuWTw_wcB

Gibson also has the less expensive Faded Studio but apparently none in stock above. That said the weight above is a fairly light weight. I think your better off with a Studio also.

Thats 9lbs right there with max weights and no other parts. I agree with Rabs above and I would check sights which have the info, photos and weight of the guitar in question. Like here....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPST5HGT?adpos=1o2&creative=55280244121&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw9OG4BRDJzY3jrMng4iQSJABddor1V-iSVSEtR-R1sUxEkvrYBilJ-6YukMCznOU5xk5dLhoCuWTw_wcB

Gibson also has the less expensive Faded Studio but apparently none in stock above. That said the weight above is a fairly light weight. I think your better off with a Studio also.

Horrors!

8.6 Pounds??!!!? A chambered Tribute weighs that much? My 9-hole relieved Classic Custom is 8.3!

My 50's Tribute Studio is feather-light.

Bence.

Horrors!

8.6 Pounds??!!!? A chambered Tribute weighs that much? My 9-hole relieved Classic Custom is 8.3!

My 50's Tribute Studio is feather-light.

Bence.

More feather-light than 7.13 lbs above? Thats about as light as they go give or take a few ounces, no? And they probably chamber/route the heaviest wood?

I hear you though. With buyers remorse and all no need to rush.

More feather-light than 7.13 lbs above? Thats about as light as they go give or take a few ounces, no? And they probably chamber/route the heaviest wood?

I have never put it on a scale, but I am afraid to open the windows when it rests on the stand. I am afraid that a breeze would pick it up.

I hear you though. With buyers remorse and all no need to rush.

Not at all, guitars aren't coke or beer on the shelf of a store. Each one of them is different. As always, the best advice here is to play as many possible.

Bence.

No reason not to find a routed body with the same approx weight.

Well. As far as I am concerned, chambering isn't all about weight-relieving. Personally, I don't mind heavier guitars. The main advantage of chambering is the richer, louder sound character of these instruments.

Bence.

Well. As far as I am concerned, chambering isn't all about weight-relieving. Personally, I don't mind heavier guitars. The main advantage of chambering is the richer, louder sound character of these instruments.

Bence.

True so the weight isn't mutually exclusive to the equation? You can't have it both ways now you just said..............

Horrors!

8.6 Pounds??!!!? A chambered Tribute weighs that much?

Your confusing me now and have to qualify all this. [confused]

True so the weight isn't mutually exclusive to the equation? You can't have it both ways now you just said..............

The difference is significant when the instrument is unplugged. When it's plugged in, with some effects in between, it becomes just one of the many tiny nuances that build up the tonal character of the guitar.

Your confusing me now and have to qualify all this. [confused]

I find it weird that the Tribute in Sweetwater's link said to weigh as much as my Classic Custom (which I have measured). Compared to the Classic Custom, my 2010 50s Tribute feels like half as heavy...

Bence.

I find it weird that the Tribute in Sweetwater's link said to weigh as much as my Classic Custom (which I have measured). Compared to the Classic Custom, my 2010 50s Tribute feels like half as heavy...

I don't know which guitar you were looking at. The Tribute "Gold-Top"50 I posted weighed 7.10 lbs. And you just said weight doesn't matter.

The difference is significant when the instrument is unplugged.

Tonally, but not do to the weight but the chamber which is subjective imho Or are you saying both? Whats the difference with weight?

When it's plugged in, with some effects in between, it becomes just one of the many tiny nuances that build up the tonal character of the guitar.

When its plugged in or not the weight matters how? And how does the chamber then matter? Forget the effects. Your talking two different points still. Which is fine I just don't see the clarity of thought conveyed. I mean it sounds to me you have a weight in mind chambered LPs should weigh as if it matters, what would be that weight, under 7.10 or up to 8.6? Or inbetween?

And btw in comparison the difference in tone chambered or not is what? Something to be aware of why?

I don't know which guitar you were looking at. The Tribute "Gold-Top"50 I posted weighed 7.10 lbs. And you just said weight doesn't matter.

This one. It says 8.6:

Tonally, but not do to the weight but the chamber which is subjective imho Or are you saying both? Whats the difference with weight?

I am talking about effects of chambering. That's an audible difference. Weight makes difference on Your shoulders. The OP is looking for a lighter instrument because of playing comfort.

When its plugged in or not the weight matters how? ...

Weight alone makes no sonic difference, in my experience. I prefer them heavier, because I play seated almost all the time. The heavier it is, the less it will move around. It's a subjective matter of playing comfort.

Bence.

Weight alone makes no sonic difference, in my experience.

But on the shoulder, amen, the link you just posted comes back to me as serial number 160088589 GT Tribute at 7.10lbs. I still have no idea what your talking about which has been consistent and is again.

I believe you, they have one at the weight you suggest but that has nothing to do with anything but the idea you think as I said a chambered LP should be a specific weight as compared to others, what then? But weight doesn't matter as you say below.......

I am talking about effects of chambering. That's an audible difference

Yes and only you bought that up are you saying you prefer chambered LPs over the others? What do you hear exactly different? And you prefer them lighter by your adjectives which is confusing......

Weight alone makes no sonic difference, in my experience. I prefer them heavier, because I play seated almost all the time. The heavier it is, the less it will move around. It's a subjective matter of playing comfort

Heavier is in relation to comfort, and its concluded by who it has no effect on tone? I'm not sure thats true nor do I see how one can prove it. Just saying, and I don't see this in context to weight of chambered bodies you prefer heavy?

But on the shoulder, amen, the link you just posted comes back to me as serial number 160088589 GT Tribute at 7.10lbs. I still have no idea what your talking about which has been consistent and is again.

For me it brings up guitar with serial of 160089103. Anyways... what I was trying to say is: I am surprised that a guitar made of half of the material weighs just us much as an almost completely solid guitar of the same dimensions. I am just surprised, how different one or another piece of mahogany can be in density. That's all.

I believe you they have one at the weight you suggest but that has nothing to do with anything but the idea you think as I said a chambered LP should be a specific weight as compared to others, what then?

I don't get this, sorry.

Yes and only you bought that up are you saying you prefer chambered LPs over the others? What do you hear exactly different?

Where did I say I prefer them? I have nothing against them either. It's just different. Strum a chambered Les Paul, and You will find, it sounds louder and richer than a solid one. Somewhat acoustic guitar-like.

Heavier is in relation to comfort, and its concluded by who it has no effect on tone? I'm not sure thats true nor do I see how one can prove it. Just saying.

Why is it important, at all? There were at least two expressions that suggested that was purely my very own, subjective preference.

Bence.

OP...

Thats why its important, personal preference of the OP. And my point is and has been as I demonstrated a LP under 8lbs can be bought very easily.

Why is it important, at all?

Because you bought it up in relation to the weight of chambered LPs thus your link, which I guess for you they should be a specific weight but you don't care if they are heavy. [biggrin]

I think you just wanted to chat, thats OK too. Your posts are by large informative but I was a bit confused on this one.

I played a chambered LP out in the 90s a double cut when they first came out in 96. In fact I changed the control plate to a fabricated piece of screen because basically the chamber was similar to covered F-foles. Sounded better acoustically open imho.

OP...

Thats why its important, personal preference of the OP. And my point is and has been as I demonstrated a LP under 8lbs can be bought very easily.

Because you bought it up in relation to the weight of chambered LPs thus your link, which I guess for you they should be a specific weight but you don't care if they are heavy. [biggrin]

I think you just wanted to chat, thats OK too. Your posts are by large informative but I was a bit confused on this one.

I played a chambered LP out in the 90s a double cut when they first came out in 96. In fact I changed the control plate to a fabricated piece of screen because basically the chamber was similar to covered F-foles. Sounded better acoustically open imho.

Ok, now I understand where it went wrong...

The chambered Les Pauls I've had in my hands so far, were much lighter than my solids. As an example I told, my (never scaled) Studio seems half as heavy than my Classic Custom (which I have scaled - it's 8.3). Then, You say chambered ones are typically around 8 pounds. That was a surprise to me. I have no arguments to deny that, nor do I want to. Still, I am surprised they aren't around 4-5 Pounds in large average.

Bence.

Archived