Gibson Brands Forums

Should I keep this SG?

ChrisF

Hello guys, I'm starting this thread because I don't really know what to do.

I recently bought a gibson sg special faded worn cherry for which I paid about 560 euros (about 630 dollars) the thing is when it arrived I found that:

1-The guitar that arrived was not a sg special faded, but a sg special satin or a SG special 70s (I don't know what's the difference)

2-The guitar doesn't match the serial number stated in the card that came inside the box, nor the factory photo (in the photo I can see a SG special satin/SG special 70s, but the wood grain is quite different)

The thing is:

I actually like this guitar, it sounds good to me and I might find it prettier that the faded (I like the block inlays better than the dots, and also the covered pickups)

I got it for a good price (at least here in Europe, about 100€ less) and it seems to be in pretty much mint condition.

I'm just worried about the fact that the serial numbers don't match, especially taking into acount that it is a refurbished unit (another buyer returned it, I even thought that it might be a fake that the other person used to replace it and return it, keeping the good one instead)

Is it possible that they messed up at the gibsons factory while getting it packaged?

When I bought it, I was looking for a SG sound, which pickups you think that will be better for me, the 490r/490t or the mini humbuckers that the sg special sating brings?

1/ You like the guitar and it sounds good to you.

2/ You are concerned about the ID and need reassurance.

I suggest posting up pics of it and BE SURE to take a look in the instrument ID section of this forum. Give the serial no. on the guitar (not the box). Several people here will be able to set your mind at rest.

The main thing is you are happy with the guitar. Isnt that the most important thing?

490r/490t or the mini humbuckers that the sg special satin brings?

Either or, depends what you like. Its the same price as the SG Faded but the difference is the Mini pick-ups, block inlays etc.

I would call either way to return it or to inform them of the SG and serial you bought and received. I could see why you like it, tell them you'll keep this one.

The thing is, I tried to check both serial numbers online and I couldn't get any information about them. I'll try to post pictures tonight.

I contacted amazon and they offered me a 15% off, since they cant offer me any info about the inspection card.

Any tips to recognize a fake one?

Post some photos, but I think you received the Mini/Block Special which is a cool SG. If you don't regret not buying the humbuckers.

Another 15% sounds good at any rate. Do you like the SG?

That mini/block special is the 70s one? It brings the volute if that means something and according to the headstock, it's a 2016 model.

I definetely love SGs, I'd say it's my target guitar, that's why I want it to sound as a SG should sound, I want it to be as pure as possible. Do you think the minihumbuckers are a good option? Or should I stick to the regular 490 ones?

Do you think the minihumbuckers are a good option? Or should I stick to the regular 490 ones?

You have a GC or Sam Ash by you? You should bring the Minihumbucker SG to the shop and A/B it. I think its a cool guitar and you can put P-90s in it too. What I don't know is how your guitar sounds, I never played the SG Gibson Minihumbucker, the volute is another aspect to think about. You like the covers too and blocks. Maybe you should look around for one of these. I just seen one sell for $600 last week in PA on ebay.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/gibson-sg-60s-tribute-575873

You have a GC or Sam Ash by you? You should bring the Minihumbucker SG to the shop and A/B it. I think its a cool guitar and you can put P-90s in it too. What I don't know is how your guitar sounds, I never played the SG Gibson Minihumbucker, the volute is another aspect to think about. You like the covers too and blocks. Maybe you should look around for one of these. I just seen one sell for $600 last week in PA on ebay.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/gibson-sg-60s-tribute-575873

There are no gibson dealers in my city, so that will be hard to do. I don't live in the USA either so we don't have much variety either.

Here I post some pictures of the SG, will you help me identify which model it is? And also, I'm guessing it's not fake, but you never really know...

T8GoelC.jpg

U3OhWHD.jpg?1

B4EmKE9.jpg

Pyun9fU.jpg?1

sydi4Tl.jpg

IT says 2016, abd the tuners are gibson deluxe.

Yz7kXCi.jpg?1

FsCHyeg.jpg?1

tcTtHw7.jpg

j0s07W8.jpg

Yes! That has to be the one, it matches the inspection card ID: SG70SCCH1.

What do you think about the pictures? There are no signs in it to think it can be a fake right? It's my first gibson and I want to do it right [thumbup]

Thanks Golden.

Yes! That has to be the one, it matches the inspection card ID: SG70SCCH1.

What do you think about the pictures? There are no signs in it to think it can be a fake right? It's my first gibson and I want to do it right [thumbup]

Thanks Golden.

Absolutely the real deal, I'd keep it, but I'm biased, LOVE my 2012 in Silverburst.

Absolutely the real deal, I'd keep it, but I'm biased, LOVE my 2012 in Silverburst.

Yay, I'm pretty sure that I'll keep it, specially with that extra 15% off, I end up getting it for a very decent price (500€, +200€ less than its actual price. Will you post some pictures of your beauty?

PS: just curious, what do you pay attention to while trying to detect a fake one?

Does it play like butter and sound good acoustically? Thats all that matters. The Minihumbuckers have more of a Jazz following but if they just don't work for you, you can just drop P-90s in like Lollars or some other steroid type P-90. [biggrin]

The volutes never bothered me but again I can't rightfully speak for others. I really don't see an issue with them.

My concern is your buyers remorse two weeks from now when the Minis aren''t as loud and so forth. You have to develope "your sound" if that is with those Minis which I have no doubt it may well be, then so be it. Listen I have a very close friend who works as a PHD with cancer patients, radiation treatment. On the weekends he plays Mini humbuckers and Gibsons. So what does that tell you? Its historically common! Its you realizing your sound thats important and realizing your vision not anothers. . Educated people who are good musicians obviously play "Mini Humbuckers" the only question is will you be one too? And its no shame if you down the road change your mind, like I said P-90s "work" if any one word is needed P-90s "work". But its a difference of tonal preference, I can't speak for you with that.

Well, I already own a guitar with a great tonal range, an Epiphone Lee Malia (google it up if you don't know it, it's great), so I don't really care about it being versatile. I've always loved the SGs look and background and I consider it the most iconic guitar, so with this purchase I wanted the SG experience.

So far I really enjoy the sound, but it's my first SG and I don't really know how is a SG supposed to feel a sound live. I really love how it looks, so my only concern right now would only be the sound aspect (again, not that it sounds good or not, since I think it sounds great, but more about the pure SG sound).

If you guys think the minihumbuckers are a good option for a true SG experience, I'm definetely keeping this beauty.

PS: the volute is not a problem for me either, I even like it.

If you guys think the minihumbuckers are a good option for a true SG experience,

No, no, you are fully responsible for the position you find yourself in with this guitar. Its not what others think is a "true SG experience" its what YOU think of your own experience and how it fits you as a musician that decides what an SG is to you. And frankly I might add you are starting to sound like a "Gibson remorse victim"

Are you saying your not sure? Then I would send it back!!! You'll get over the instant gratification that you NOW have. I think you want humbuckers but are kidding yourself.

No, no, you are fully responsible for the position you find yourself in with this guitar. Its not what others think is a "true SG experience" its what YOU think of your own experience and how it fits you as a musician that decides what an SG is to you. And frankly I might add you are starting to sound like a "Gibson remorse victim"

Are you saying your not sure? Then I would send it back!!! You'll get over the instant gratification that you NOW have. I think you want humbuckers but are kidding yourself.

Well I honestly have no idea about the mini humbuckers, it's literally my first contact with them and never payed attention to them before this, they definetely sound good, but do they give the SG sound? I can't really tell, it's my first SG [biggrin]

I see your point, and I agree with you. With any other guitar I'd only pay attention to the sound I get and follow the logic path, but this isn't any guitar, it's a damn SG, a true icon for me [lol]

About the guitar, the more I look at it the more I like it. That satin finish feels so right to me.

Yay, I'm pretty sure that I'll keep it, specially with that extra 15% off, I end up getting it for a very decent price (500€, +200€ less than its actual price. Will you post some pictures of your beauty?

PS: just curious, what do you pay attention to while trying to detect a fake one?

70's Tribute SG

Can't ever seem to get these to embed, but here's the link. There are many tells for the fakes, some are harder to spot than others. There is a link on the main Gibson page that deals with a fair bit of it.

The minis to me are some where between p90s and humbuckers but closer to buckers. You'll be able to dial in plenty of crunch if that's your fear.

How you liking it? Did you keep it?

Johnny

• 5 months later...

I've been playing that exact same guitar at the guitar center for the last 2 weeks, I've been screening 5 W amplifiers,

I just picked up the SG without looking at it too much then noticed that it had the mini humbucker's I played it through an orange amp plated through a black star platey through a Hughs & Kettner, I was almost at the point where I was GoingTo buy the guitar instead of the amplifier.

I went back 3 different days and I always went for the exact same guitar I enjoyed playing it tremendously sounds awesome.

The mini humbucker's in that guitar adds an extra level of string attack and a slight beautiful brightness and harmonics I would not put P90's in their.

Extremely beautiful sounding guitar. To me it's extremely easy to turn the tone knob to remove a little brightness. But it's almost impossible to boost brightness up in many rigs.

Enjoy that guitar

There are no gibson dealers in my city, so that will be hard to do. I don't live in the USA either so we don't have much variety either.

Here I post some pictures of the SG, will you help me identify which model it is? And also, I'm guessing it's not fake, but you never really know...

T8GoelC.jpg

U3OhWHD.jpg?1

B4EmKE9.jpg

Pyun9fU.jpg?1

sydi4Tl.jpg

IT says 2016, abd the tuners are gibson deluxe.

Yz7kXCi.jpg?1

FsCHyeg.jpg?1

tcTtHw7.jpg

j0s07W8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sure looks legit.I did not 'RUN' the serial# against what the GIBSON web-site has up but,IF YOU STILL WANT TO BE SURE...e-mail this lady @ Gibson, she ID'd my '94 'NIGHTHAWK': Arianna.Fanning@gibson.com , if she is still there she will be able to tell you EXACTLY what/when etc....BTW, That is the one I wanted but I got the Special Faded on sale at GC for $550 instead, as they did not have this one at the time,AND the price was right on the Faded. I too prefer the block in-lays and Chrome Pick-up covers.So much so, LOL, I put CHROME covers on my Faded, also put an 'SG' truss rod cover(per Gibson web-site advert.) it did not come with as well as the silver top knobs.

From the looks of it, I doubt you got beat. The lady @ that e-mail adress will defintely know and put your mind at ease.

I C your not sure about the Mini-Humbuckers,yes? I have a mini-humbucker, called the 'FIREBIRD', in a 1994 NIGHTHAWK 'STANDARD'ST3 and it is the best sounding pick-up I have ever heard.Its in the neck position and hitting an Open 'A' on that bad-boy..... BANG, Clarity wise, it delivers better than my Les Paul Studio Burst-Bucker Pro's....its all about how YOU like the sound of it,u kno? My NIGHTHAWK, I Love that axe BECAUSE of the Mini-Humbucker(Firebird) in it. You know?

Archived