Gibson Brands Forums

how to keep your strap in place

JerseyRay

I know this happened to everyone, your playing, or putting the strap on and one of the straps pop off... even heard of people dropping their AX because the strap came off the strap holder peg thing (I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know what it is)... well, I figured out that of you use one of those little plastic things that close a loaf of bread, beagles, whatever... it fits right in place and won't alloy the strap from coming off.... [thumbup]

I know this happened to everyone, your playing, or putting the strap on and one of the straps pop off... even heard of people dropping their AX because the strap came off the strap holder peg thing (I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know what it is)... well, I figured out that of you use one of those little plastic things that close a loaf of bread, beagles, whatever... it fits right in place and won't alloy the strap from coming off.... [thumbup]

The rubber washer that comes on these works as a great straplock as well, and you have the plus of drinking a brewskie as well, LOL!

https://www.google.com/search?q=grolsch+beer+bottle&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&imgil=z7une3yzwwTWdM%253A%253B7Gm7_Blxmp_VeM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fen.wikipedia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FGrolsch_Brewery&source=iu&pf=m&fir=z7une3yzwwTWdM%253A%252C7Gm7_Blxmp_VeM%252C_&usg=__TzF3kKd4vkQw_XoblTEFzsRjlFA%3D&biw=1366&bih=608&ved=0ahUKEwjWuaiwoJ7MAhUBF2MKHfZuCpUQyjcITw&ei=DQEYV5b_BYGujAP23amoCQ#imgrc=z7une3yzwwTWdM%3A

Also available at your local Home Improvement store, but not as much fun (washer only, no beer)!

The washer and bread bag clip I'm sure would be a less invasive option.

nothing very invasive if you use Schallers, unscrew the stock strap button, using the same screw, put on strap lock button. be fancy, add a felt washer.

oh come now... stop the madness...

schaller strap locks.... seriously... for something like this... the only real solution....

I agree on solid body guitars, but on my hollows and semi hollows, the strap lock sticks out too much from the strap button that's on the heel of the neck/backside of the guitar, hence the Grolsch washers on those. Been doing this for years and have had zero issues.

the strap lock sticks out too much from the strap button that's on the heel of the neck/backside of the guitar,

I know a lot of folks mention this, I've got 2 SG's a Sherry, Broadway and a Regent, all have that pin on the back of the heel. Maybe the fact that I wear my straps pretty short (I like em high, and I'm not a big dude (5' 6ish" 160ish~) I'm not effected by this at all.

the strap lock sticks out too much from the strap button that's on the heel of the neck/backside of the guitar,

I know a lot of folks mention this, I've got 2 SG's a Sherry, Broadway and a Regent, all have that pin on the back of the heel. Maybe the fact that I wear my straps pretty short (I like em high, and I'm not a big dude (5' 6ish" 160ish~) I'm not effected by this at all.

Dunlop straplocks don't stick out as much. I use them and have one on my G400. Works fine.

I use a variety of means to secure straps. The Fender washers are great, but the strap is then pretty much permanently on, so you need a case big enough to keep the strap in place.

Straplocks. I used to use Dunlop. They work, but look a bit odd sticking out & they can foul a case.

Locking Straps: I use two sorts. The Planet Waves ones being my favourite.

leaving the strap on all the time is impractical with a decent brushed leather or suede strap and with nitro a risky practice.

(I don't use "Seat belt" straps, too much shoulder float involved)

besides, the idea of securing the strap on a $2,500~ (and up in some cases) guitar with a 10 cent rubber washer off a beer bottle, or some cheesy product that's like it, while it sounds clever, frugal or even "romantic", (however you wish to characterize) isn't something I'm about to do. You guys knock your selves out with that.

I'll stick with the Schallers that in 20+ years of use, work 100% of the time.

leaving the strap on all the time is impractical with a decent brushed leather or suede strap and with nitro a risky practice.

(I don't use "Seat belt" straps, too much shoulder float involved)

besides, the idea of securing the strap on a $2,500~ (and up in some cases) guitar with a 10 cent rubber washer off a beer bottle, or some cheesy product that's like it, while it sounds clever, frugal or even "romantic", (however you wish to characterize) isn't something I'm about to do. You guys knock your selves out with that.

I'll stick with the Schallers that in 20+ years of use, work 100% of the time.

Geez, tell us how you really feel!! [laugh] FWIW, I'm a home use guy only, so the "10 cent rubber washer off a beer bottle" has worked quite well for me on my hollow and semi hollow body guitars. Were I gigging them, I'd probably think otherwise. And as for the leather strap on a nitro finish, I've had a Levy's 2-1/2 inch suede strap on my Gibby nitro finish LP for over 8 years now and on my '63 Guild Starfire (again nitro finish) for about two, both with no adverse effect. YMMV. I also commit the cardinal sin of having my guitars out and on stands or they'd never get played, and yeah, there are no kids in the house. And I'm right there with you on the "seat belt" straps. Just invites neck dive.

ok so I went off the top a bit I spose!! :)

what ever works for the player, works. I appreciate the security (false sense or otherwise) of a solid strap lock.

I've had a few near misses before swearing my allegiance!

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of my more played LPs i moved the top strap button to the back just to the left of the switch cavity. IMO this is where Gibson should of put the top strap button from the start it puts the strap in a WAY better location for holding the strap on.

Archived