Gibson Brands Forums

NPD!

darling67

This thing is magical...

Definitely a "novelty" pedal—if it makes a guitar no longer sound like a guitar, then you have to categorize it as such. But I am playing a gig next week where strings are needed for one song. I'll have that covered with this pedal, and it will sound great—not cheesy by the furthest stretch.

Highly recommend for those who play and/or record music that benefits from the sounds from a mellotron, but can't afford one (and who can?) nor has the space for one.

IMG_20160420_095614_zpsxyzap3ad.jpg

That seems cool in a luxury pedal kinda way. I have the B9 and like it a lot, but I only use two sounds and only on a few songs per gig. The C9 is cool two. Again a couple sounds really appeal to me. I wish I could build a pedal with a couple sounds from each of the three.

This thing is magical...

Definitely a "novelty" pedal—if it makes a guitar no longer sound like a guitar, then you have to categorize it as such. But I am playing a gig next week where strings are needed for one song. I'll have that covered with this pedal, and it will sound great—not cheesy by the furthest stretch.

Highly recommend for those who play and/or record music that benefits from the sounds from a mellotron, but can't afford one (and who can?) nor has the space for one.

IMG_20160420_095614_zpsxyzap3ad.jpg

I'm glad you scored one already [thumbup] I bought the B9 when it came out and I actually still use it. I love creating my own keyboard backing tracks with that pedal :) The Mel9 will be great fun once mine arrives. How can you not love this stuff. EHX is a real innovator and Bill Ruppert is their greatest demo creator of all time. Enjoy it! [thumbup]

I'm glad you scored one already [thumbup] I bought the B9 when it came out and I actually still use it. I love creating my own keyboard backing tracks with that pedal :) The Mel9 will be great fun once mine arrives. How can you not love this stuff. EHX is a real innovator and Bill Ruppert is their greatest demo creator of all time. Enjoy it! [thumbup]

I'm digging this pedal, yes. Everyone who's heard me play/use it so far has commented on how amazing it sounds.

I've been using the #3 "strings" setting primarily, thus far—it's the sound I need to recreate for a gig this coming week. But, I switched on the "saxophone" setting, and teased the sax player, who'll be sitting in with us for one song, that his services were no longer required! LOL!

Interesting pedal. Need to try this. One question, though. Where do you put a pedal like this in your effects chain?

In general, I have always followed the advice in this online article.

The Mel9 is such an odd effects pedal, though.

Since it has a stereo-out feature (two cables out, one each to separate amplifiers) I would imagine it should go last.

When mine arrives in the post, that's where I plan to put it.

:)

Interesting pedal. Need to try this. One question, though. Where do you put a pedal like this in your effects chain?

In general, I have always followed the advice in this online article.

The Mel9 is such an odd effects pedal, though.

Since it has a stereo-out feature (two cables out, one each to separate amplifiers) I would imagine it should go last.

When mine arrives in the post, that's where I plan to put it.

If it's like the B9, the outputs are dry and wet, so that kinda affects where you put it. If you are using one amp it won't likely matter. However, I set my B9 early in the chain because sometimes I like to send the organ out to its own tube amp. The dry out goes through the rest of my board's gain based effects to my main tube amp but by placing it early in the chain the organ sounds are clean. This way when I add the organ it sounds more like someone else playing along - more separation. I've even run that wet out straight to out mixer on it's own volume pedal allowing me to swell the organ sound in and out as needed. Fun!

Good question. I had to ask someone that very thing!

It should be placed towards the front of your board, but behind Delays and Reverbs, etc. My present board looks like this:

Pitch Black Tuner > BOSS Dynamic Wah > Electro-Harmonix Mel 9 > Rogue Tremolo > Digitech Mosaic > Fulltone Fat Boost > Fulltone '69 Fuzz > BOSS Digital Reverb/Delay

Good question. I had to ask someone that very thing!

It should be placed towards the front of your board, but behind Delays and Reverbs, etc. My present board looks like this:

Pitch Black Tuner > BOSS Dynamic Wah > Electro-Harmonix Mel 9 > Rogue Tremolo > Digitech Mosaic > Fulltone Fat Boost > Fulltone '69 Fuzz > BOSS Digital Reverb/Delay

The Fulltone 69 should be the first pedal on your chain. The buffers from the Boss pedals will interfere with it's performance

The Fulltone 69 should be the first pedal on your chain. The buffers from the Boss pedals will interfere with it's performance

Hey man...

I always thought that Fuzz, distortions, boosts, etc. should be towards the front—but all Wah pedals, and other filter-type pedals, should be first on any pedalboard. As it is, the Dynamic Wah is the only BOSS pedal in front of it.

I know you know Fuzz pedals... but doesn't what you're saying hold true mostly for old vintage Fuzz pedals—the kind that didn't/don't have an internal buffer? The '69 Fuzz sounds great where it is. I don't detect any interference with its performance.

Try the 69 by itself and then with a boss pedal in front, you will notice that having the boss pedal in front makes the 69 brighter and less responsive to your volume knob adjustments and picking dynamics. It will "WORK", but it limits the usability of the fuzz because it becomes less interactive with your pickups and technique

Jimi used a wah before the FF, which causes other problems, but in your case since your filter has a buffered bypass I would definitely move it after the 69

By the way the 69 is a Fuzz Face clone and does not have a buffer or other such modern amenities

Try the 69 by itself and then with a boss pedal in front, you will notice that having the boss pedal in front makes the 69 brighter and less responsive to your volume knob adjustments and picking dynamics. It will "WORK", but it limits the usability of the fuzz because it becomes less interactive with your pickups and technique

Jimi used a wah before the FF, which causes other problems, but in your case since your filter has a buffered bypass I would definitely move it after the 69

By the way the 69 is a Fuzz Face clone and does not have a buffer or other such modern amenities

Ok! I will try it tonight in front of all other pedals.

Wow.

The Mel 9 came in the mail the other day, but I have been overwhelmed with other attentions, and never tried it out until yesterday evening.

VERY COOL effects pedal.

Definitely not for everyone though.

It takes a very precise chord phrasing, and if you stroke and then slack off of your fretting finger pressure just a bit, the polyphonic sounds will (naturally) fall flat at the end of each figure.

In the end, 'less is more' seems to be the technique.

You can get too fancy with this thing, and if you choose to leave it higher in the mix than it warrants, your overall band sound could possibly become overwhelmed by it, and then it just becomes noise.

Sparse is better.

I really dig it though.

I have already found six or seven songs that my bad performs that the Mel 9 will definitely help to improve, and I noodled around with a couple of other original ideas for songs using it.

Examples of songs that the Mel 9 was practically born to help improve, especially for a guitar band that has no floor space on stage for a keyboard stand:

Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is - Orchestra effect blended in, during the final chorus to finish.

Black Crowes - Hard To Handle - Saxophone effect low in the mix, during the intro riff (I can imagine that Mustang Sally would also benefit from this)

Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now - High Chorus effect during the descending A-stepdown part of the refrain

Etc, etc.

Love, love, LOVE this pedal.

[love]

Wow.

The Mel 9 came in the mail the other day, but I have been overwhelmed with other attentions, and never tried it out until yesterday evening.

VERY COOL effects pedal.

Definitely not for everyone though.

It takes a very precise chord phrasing, and if you stroke and then slack off of your fretting finger pressure just a bit, the polyphonic sounds will (naturally) fall flat at the end of each figure.

In the end, 'less is more' seems to be the technique.

You can get too fancy with this thing, and if you choose to leave it higher in the mix than it warrants, your overall band sound could possibly become overwhelmed by it, and then it just becomes noise.

Sparse is better.

I really dig it though.

I have already found six or seven songs that my bad performs that the Mel 9 will definitely help to improve, and I noodled around with a couple of other original ideas for songs using it.

Examples of songs that the Mel 9 was practically born to help improve, especially for a guitar band that has no floor space on stage for a keyboard stand:

Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is - Orchestra effect blended in, during the final chorus to finish.

Black Crowes - Hard To Handle - Saxophone effect low in the mix, during the intro riff (I can imagine that Mustang Sally would also benefit from this)

Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now - High Chorus effect during the descending A-stepdown part of the refrain

Etc, etc.

Love, love, LOVE this pedal.

[love]

Yeah, it's an awesome pedal.

I supplied the "strings" for The Doors' "Touch Me" Friday night. Haven't seen/heard the video yet, but I will soon. Can't wait to hear how it sounded LIVE.

Other songs I've been having fun playing around with have been The Beatles', "When I'm Sixty-Four" (clarinet), and "Strawberry Fields Forever" (flute).... and Traffic's, "Freedom Rider" (sax).

[thumbup]

That is so cool, darling67.

Playing live, recording, gigging, and contributing to the community of music;

That's what it's all about.

And if our pedals help us to provide awesome soundscapes to the audiences, then all the better!!

That is so cool, darling67.

Playing live, recording, gigging, and contributing to the community of music;

That's what it's all about.

And if our pedals help us to provide awesome soundscapes to the audiences, then all the better!!

Right on, sparquelito!

[thumbup]

Okay the Mel 9 is next on my list however I wanted to provide the reason(s) I haven't gotten around to getting one yet. Because in the past week I bought these. [drool]

Monterey_Special_Germanium_Blue_Face_Keeley.jpg

IMG_5871_2048x2048.JPG?v=1437848674

fl8zcs2fzu7go6jdd9bo.jpg

I am currently in the process of doing structural damage to my home :o :)

I am currently in the process of doing structural damage to my home :o :)

Ahhhh dude... .those are sick. The Monterey seems like the perfect box for everything Jimi and the Astro Tone is smooth as silk. Jealous! Haven't heard of the Bender Over Under, but assuming it's a cool ToneBender. Nice haul! [thumbup]

Archived