Gibson Brands Forums

My quick LP compare vid

Rabs

I did this vid a while back as I wanted to see how much difference there is between my four LPs...

So we have a 2011 60s Tribute Studio (chambered), a 2002 Classic 1960 (trad weight relieved), a 2010 2008 Standard [rolleyes] (chambered) and a 2005 LP Double Cut faded (solid slab body)....

Each guitar is turned up to 10 on all knobs and it was recorded directly into my digital 4 track so theres no amp involved.. Just a tiny bit of echo... So what you are hearing is all guitar... You really need to listen to this through headphones or really good speakers to hear any difference (and we have Youtubes audio encode which crapens everything anyway?)

In all honesty they mostly sounded the same especially on the neck pickup... The bridge however sounds quite different on the Classic (well much louder anyway) due to the silly hot pickup... But that's it.. They all sound like a Gibson :)

Hello Rabs.

Agree with You, the Classic pops out with the hot pickups. But, the Special too! It sounds somewhat darker than the others and with less edge. In fact, I find it very nice.

Thanks for the video!

Bence.

Its surprising how similar they are. I can hear the difference in the P90s but its very close.

What pups are in the classic & std?

The Classic has the usual ceramic twins 496R and 500T and the Standard has Burstbucker Pros ...

I love all of those guitars so so much. And yes, the special really is special, it not only sounds great but probably has the best neck profile of any guitar ever (very slim tapered) and its my favourite shape with the great upper fret access.. Everyone needs to try one of those guitars. And yes it has a really dark roar...

Hello Rabs.

Agree with You, the Classic pops out with the hot pickups. But, the Special too! It sounds somewhat darker than the others and with less edge. In fact, I find it very nice.

Thanks for the video!

Bence.

Yes, I think what we are hearing is the lack of maple top... Darkens the sound up a tiny bit compared to a usual LP...

They really are quite unique guitars..

What this vid shows to me is that while there are slight differences in the undertones, they all sound like a Gibson :)

I liked the 2015 offering but the headstock and nut threw it off imho. Come to think of it I haven't seen many around in my travels either.

The binding with the compensated bridge is the ticket though.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cutaway.aspx

Yeah you don't find many around I think cos people like them so much :)

And that 2015 offering, while they looked really really nice, the neck profile and the wider neck on those guitars made them feel totally different.. From the 12th fret up wards it gets so so chunky. I picked one up once and just felt the neck in that area, and then put it straight down again [rolleyes]

And that 2015 offering, while they looked really really nice, the neck profile and the wider neck on those guitars made them feel totally different.. From the 12th fret up wards it gets so so chunky. I picked one up once and just felt the neck in that area, and then put it straight down again [rolleyes]

That describes me as I was for many years.

If the neck was too narrow, it would inhibit my playing. (Not just that: If it didnt have a through-neck, it was an inferior design. If it didnt have 24 frets, it was limiting etc etc...)

It kept me away from Gibsons, Rickenbackers, Godins and many things nice. I struggled hard to get used to a regular 1.675" Gibson neck, but I was eventually rewarded. Same thing with other features too. I struggled to get used to the high action of a traditional Spanish acoustic, but I can now play my most difficult piece on it.

Sometimes its worth going beyond the quick dismissal and challenging yourself to tame a strange guitar. There's nothing to lose & plenty to gain.

That describes me as I was for many years.

If the neck was too narrow, it would inhibit my playing. (Not just that: If it didnt have a through-neck, it was an inferior design. If it didnt have 24 frets, it was limiting etc etc...)

It kept me away from Gibsons, Rickenbackers, Godins and many things nice. I struggled hard to get used to a regular 1.675" Gibson neck, but I was eventually rewarded. Same thing with other features too. I struggled to get used to the high action of a traditional Spanish acoustic, but I can now play my most difficult piece on it.

Sometimes its worth going beyond the quick dismissal and challenging yourself to tame a strange guitar. There's nothing to lose & plenty to gain.

Hhmmm yeah maybe you are right...

BUT.. I have played maybe 1000s of guitars through the years and I just know what im comfortable with.. When I play a fatter neck for too long (especially barre chords) I get hand cramps, never happens on a slim neck.. And playing up high I really feel it too. Of course this could just be my playing style and learning a new way to hold and pick could help.. But it seems like a lot of effort when I can just get a guitar with a slimmer neck :) I also hate the huge radius a lot of Fenders come with.. It just feels cramped, like theres not enough space to play, oddly enough the nicest Strat I ever played in those terms was a cheap Squire I got from a car boot sale for £30 :) (but I ended up giving it to my nephew).

My Tribute Studio for instance is not a slim as my DC Special but its still ok for me so its not like I can only play the slimmest necks, but I certainly have a limit...

In fact thinking about it I have tried over the years with fatter necks.. I once had a Gary Moore BFG and man I loved everything about that guitar, a totally unique LP model.. But after owning it for about a year I had to sell it as I couldn't get along with the neck.. And I also had a non reverse firebird which have really weird shaped necks, its like a skinny flat D shape, really odd and again had to sell it as I didn't get along with that neck, which is also a shame as it was a beautiful guitar with three tapped P90s.

Archived