Gibson Brands Forums

65 Epiphone Texan

Br1ck

Now that I've had my Texan a while now, it continues to amaze me. Records better than any guitar I have, and the neck fits my hand unlike any other. When I had things narrowed down, it was between this Texan and a J 45 vintage, which is a seriously fine guitar. The Texan sounded bigger, brighter and punchier, and was already distressed and worn in. The J 45 vintage was warmer and refined.

This guitar was totally off my radar. I was in the store because they had five vintage Gibsons, which the Texan blew away, except for the 1941 J35.

The FT-79 is a fine guitar and exhibits the best qualities of Gibson acoustics from that era, IMHO. Have owned two - one only briefly because a friend needed it worse than I did - a sunburst that sounded incredible. The other was natural finish model that I played regularly for several years, but let go when I could no longer comfortably navigate the skinny neck. Congratulations on your new guitar and for making a wise choice!

• 1 month later...

I own the same guitar! Had since before I was born (my parents kept it in the attic until I thought of using it)

It's an amazing instrument (can't believe how well it fared up there after, probably 15ish winters).

I'm hardly an expert, but I have played many acoustic guitars in my time (none vintage), and none of them have ever sound or felt as great as the '65 Texan. I love the thing!

Archived