Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to match original strings

Zippydog

Hello all -

Does anybody know for sure which exact D'Addario strings come stock with an EL-00-Pro?

All Epiphone could tell me was that they are Phosphor Bronze 12-53.

I really liked the feel and sound of the strings it came with.

I had to replace the original ones cause they were turning my finger tips dark gray.

Tried using Elixir Nanoweb lights 80/20 Bronze 12-53 but to be honest, they sound kind of dull not like they sound on my DR-500 Masterbilt which IMO sound great!

Plus they're much stiffer to move up and down. I don't like the feel nor sound on my EL-00.

Thanks.

Can't say for sure which D'Addario's Epi uses, but I've used D'Addario EXP 16 light, 80/20 phosphor bronze, 12-53 for years and see no reason to change.

The Elixir's are coated which some say will give them a "dull" sound. Not so with the EXP's.

Can't say for sure which D'Addario's Epi uses, but I've used D'Addario EXP 16 light, 80/20 phosphor bronze, 12-53 for years and see no reason to change.

The Elixir's are coated which some say will give them a "dull" sound. Not so with the EXP's.

So you're giving them a big thumbs up then?

• 1 month later...

Well it took over a month before I finally decided to give the D'Addario EXP 16 light strings a go.

Let me say that you all were right on!

They feel great!

What do they do to raise the sound a little more? They are not dud sounding, they're very expressive..

Thank you thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

D'Addario EXP strings are coated... like Elixirs, and Martin Lifespans, and Cleartones...

D'Addario EXP strings are coated... like Elixirs, and Martin Lifespans, and Cleartones...

Well, duh to me, you're right! I looked at a package and it clearly states "Coated". But I'll only half agree. Yes, they're coated, but NOT like Elixirs, et al. I'll admit to never using anything on my acoustics but the D'Addario's, and my only experience with Elixir and Cleartone is with my electrics. That said, I never gave a thought to the D'Addario's being coated for a few reasons, not the least of which is that they don't feel or sound like they're coated (again, based on my experience with the electric coated strings). I've found that the electrics sound good at first, and while lasting a long time, tend to "dull" quickly. The EXP's, not so much. They sound brighter, longer, and then go dull quickly (again, in my experience). FWIW, on my elec's I've switched to EB Cobalt's. They're much crisper, and brighter than the electric Elixir and Cleartone.

That's my take, but thanks for the education. Learn something new everyday, no?

• 1 month later...

Archived