Gibson Brands Forums

My Epi Studio and Junior Mods

Tone+Volume

Hello All,

I wanted to share with many of you the hard work you, yourself, put into my guitars....no really many of you did help me tremendously. You would not know it because I have been stalking many of you for the past year since I made the move from Acoustic to Electric. I have gleaned a lot of knowledge from forums, but this one has always been my favorite one to sneak around in. I officially joined up and now I would like to share with all of you how my guitars are turning out. I started with my first a few months ago. I found an Epi Studio with Hard Case for 130. I knew from all the hours of reading from your past experiences what I needed to do to make this last, and please me. Below are a list of the Mods I made to it. The Jesus Tribal is just a sticker design at this time. I do want to paint it on permanently in the future. When it comes to painting I have learned a lot about it but I am not feeling froggy. The painting test will come on my next project I just scored. I am about to begin a 2003 Epi Junior (bolt on neck/Plywod body) that i found for a good price with a custom hard case. That one I will not put as much money in. Probably GFS Hardware, a Mean 90...and (thanks to BrianH's trials and tribulations) going to stick with the stock bridge for a while. Unless I go Black & Gold design. Then I am open to suggestion for a gold replacement in the 25-40 range. Please forgive me if I miss name any of these parts are processes. I am still barely staying a-float in all this new information.

The studio is a 2010 Epiphone Alpine white edition

It came with the Grover Tuners

My changes

Bone Nut

Professional set up (found a local Luthier...once again thanks all for keeping me away from you know who)

Duncan 59 in the neck

Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge

Gotoh tun-o-matic bridge & tailpiece (stewMac version)

Bourns 500K pots all around

Orange Drop Cap

New wiring all around

shielded electronics cavity (did this for the learning experience more than anything)

Switchcraft three way toggle

swithcraft jack

Wired based on 50's diagram (no push pull knobs)

I did all work except the nut replacement & set up/intonation

Over all I Love it! I learned soooo much. Now I am itching to get to the Junior Project.

Night and Day differences were the electronics, pups, and tuners ....but then a HUGE jump in my opinion was replacing the nut and having it set up by Mr. Sam (Luthier). Mr. Sam is the man (IMO) if you around Central Florida. He taught me a lot about my guitars.

25976851534_cf698839ae_m.jpg26308818500_cb8d8c952c_m.jpg26582069495_5464edc441_m.jpg25978876403_1da1129b2c_m.jpg25978876533_561740a2a1_m.jpg26308818340_c5d4a56748_m.jpg

25976851504_1c8532d508_m.jpg26308818440_cfec1272b3_m.jpg26489318022_2e30580734_m.jpg25978876403_1da1129b2c_m.jpg

My Junior is a 2003 plywood Black Bolt-On Neck.

This one Planning on

Tuners

Grover style from GFS site

Pick up = Mean 90 when I took the humbucker out there was a ton of sawdust in the cavity

Bridge will stay stock for awhile unless I go Black & Gold theme

Bourns 500k Vol Pot

" 250K Tone Pot

orange drop Cap .022uF(shoot... I think I got that right even though I do not fully understand it...yet)

new wiring

Planning on shielding the cavities. I still have a whole lot of tape left.....so why not.

cleaning the neck cavity out (removing shims & paint) then replacing neck

last a new nut if Mr Sam says the neck is worth it. It should be. then set up

This is going to be my daily practice 'tar. It's main goal is to terrorize my wife, kids and mother in law...until world domination.....or at least a nap.

appreciate any "do not go there's" or some of those "no you didn't" to help me on the way.

Junior Project

Hello All,

I wanted to share with many of you the hard work you, yourself, put into my guitars....no really many of you did help me tremendously. You would not know it because I have been stalking many of you for the past year since I made the move from Acoustic to Electric. I have gleaned a lot of knowledge from forums, but this one has always been my favorite one to sneak around in. I officially joined up and now I would like to share with all of you how my guitars are turning out. I started with my first a few months ago. I found an Epi Studio with Hard Case for 130. I knew from all the hours of reading from your past experiences what I needed to do to make this last, and please me. Below are a list of the Mods I made to it. The Jesus Tribal is just a sticker design at this time. I do want to paint it on permanently in the future. When it comes to painting I have learned a lot about it but I am not feeling froggy. The painting test will come on my next project I just scored. I am about to begin a 2003 Epi Junior (bolt on neck/Plywod body) that i found for 100 with a custom hard case. That one I will not put as much money in. Probably GFS Hardware, a Mean 90...and (thanks to BrianH's trials and tribulations) going to stick with the stock bridge for a while. Unless I go Black & Gold design. Then I am open to suggestion for a gold replacement in the 25-40 range. Please forgive me if I miss name any of these parts are processes. I am still barely staying a-float in all this new information.

The studio is a 2010 Epiphone Alpine white edition

It came with the Grover Tuners

My changes

Bone Nut

Professional set up (found a local Luthier...once again thanks all for keeping me away from you know who)

Duncan 59 in the neck

Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge

Gotoh tun-o-matic bridge & tailpiece (stewMac version)

Bourns 500K pots all around

Orange Drop Cap

New wiring all around

shielded electronics cavity (did this for the learning experience more than anything)

Switchcraft three way toggle

swithcraft jack

Wired based on 50's diagram (no push pull knobs)

I did all work except the nut replacement & set up/intonation

Over all I Love it! I learned soooo much. Now I am itching to get to the Junior Project.

Night and Day differences were the electronics, pups, and tuners ....but then a HUGE jump in my opinion was replacing the nut and having it set up by Mr. Sam (Luthier). Mr. Sam is the man (IMO) if you around Central Florida. He taught me a lot about my guitars.

25976851534_cf698839ae_m.jpg26308818500_cb8d8c952c_m.jpg26582069495_5464edc441_m.jpg25978876403_1da1129b2c_m.jpg25978876533_561740a2a1_m.jpg26308818340_c5d4a56748_m.jpg

25976851504_1c8532d508_m.jpg26308818440_cfec1272b3_m.jpg26489318022_2e30580734_m.jpg25978876403_1da1129b2c_m.jpg

Welcome to the forums. Good job with the mods to your LP Studio. They're some of the most extensive I've seen and (hopefully) will have given you the tone and playability you're seeking.

IMO, Epiphone's quality has risen to the point of being worthy of respect from skilled players, even their intermediate level instruments can be used professionally if one doesn't fret about a logo that doesn't say G*****!

Good luck on your forthcoming Junior project, hoping to see the results! [thumbup]

Update on the Junior Version 1.2 [flapper]

I rewired it & added new Jack

all the popping and crackling is gone. Nice tight connection on the jack. A little permanent marker on the screws for the pickguard. I am not a fan of pickguards however looks like I may be stuck with having to have one. That is a lot of screw holes to try and cover up. Is it hard? remember it is a cheap guitar...so cheap fixes are A OK!!!

Some skull knobs that were laying around and spray painted the pick up ring. Not a fan of the white pup ring on black guitars.

I have decided I am going to go Black with Gold hardware. I would love it anyone could recommend a good gold Bridge. just good not great. Thinking of staying with wraparound style, but not sure at this point. One limiting factor on the bridge is I do not want to go over 40-50 dollars. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have the tuners and pup picked out just wondering on a good gold color bridge.

5B37AF1F-94F1-4FEE-A12B-E764C5C43C3B_zpsm7zyox4f.jpg

D3D4193D-8F8F-4BF4-BC78-C15717535C7C_zpsyme8pvl7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Almost all the parts in.

IMG_0599_zpsdzrfmg4k.jpg

cleaned/sanded out neck pocket, and reattached with Gold Neck Plate.

IMG_0618_zps3ksakyit.jpg

A little gold paint on some strap buttons and neck plate screws. Yep down 'n' dirty on this one.

IMG_0617_zpsp4hjgqlu.jpg

Cannot wait to hear this mean 90!!! sadly will have to wait at least one more day.

IMG_0620_zpsjjt25mee.jpg

Found a cool belt from my wife that will be transformed in a strap for this one

IMG_0592_zpshe6o1o5d.jpg

TY very much! I was so scared doing the tuners. Used a drill bit and survived it. Figured cheap guitar soooo what the heck 3 dollars for a brand new bit. DO NOT RECOMEND IT!!! She likes it hardand fast...she told me. Oh Man...Yeah I fell in love with the knobs. They feel nice on the hand as well. Great functionality and look nice. Still trying to be paitent, but sooooo want to hear that Mean 90 with that Tusq nut!!!! Been reading good things about them. Oh well back to the acoustic for daily practice.

Archived