Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone G-400 Pro RWRP fix

LykNu6

Hi All. New member here. I got an Epiphone SG G-400 Pro, with its split-coil pickups. A nice guitar, and I'm liking it a lot. Definitely a different feel than my strat-style guitars.

As expected, with each pickup single coil, you get some hum. However, I was surprised with both pickups selected and both single coil that the single coil hum is not gone. So, there's no 'reverse wound, reverse polarity' for these two coils.

Fortunately, the wiring can be easily changed without soldering to get rid of the hum. See the pictures, which show the volume 'pot and DPDT switch' combo for the neck pickup. Basically, you switch the black with the white wire and the red with the green wire. You need to lift a plastic tab to pull a wire out of the holder. Look closely at the holder on your guitar, and you can see what you need to do. I also rotated the neck pickup 180 degrees to get the single coils closer together, since I think the tone is better this way.

An easy mod for a better sound! Completely reversible, should you want to.

post-78397-067005400 1461361115_thumb.jpg

post-78397-068559100 1461361128_thumb.jpg

Great guitar for the price, am I right?

Yes, it's very good value for a nice version of this iconic guitar. I like the set neck and how the upper frets are easily accessible. Nice sounding pickups, too, with the coil splitting a nice option for occasional use. A leather strap and a Bigsby took care of the worst of the neck dive.

Not surprisingly for the price, there were some setup issues, like nut slots too high and some high frets. One issue I thought was inexcusable were the very low saddles on strings 2 and 5. I filed down the others to match, but it would have been so easy for them to have been made right in the first place.

All in all, I'd recommend this guitar as an affordable entry to 'The Gibson Family of brands.'

Archived