Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson MSRP vrs. Street Price

drew365

Typically, a new LP is advertised for sale by the major retailers at 26% below what Gibson shows as the MSRP. I'm thinking of getting a 2016 LP Standard HP. Gibson shows the MSRP on their website at $3,149. Sweetwater and the other major retailers are showing this same street price of $3,149 and saying it's discounted from a $3,999 MSRP. What am I missing here. Is Gibson showing a "street" price on their website? That would be odd for a manufacturer to do.

Gibson's List Price for the 2014 Peace was $5400, and the street was $2700, then $2501.00. Recently some new ones were on special for $1299 (a SCREAMING Buy).! The deciding facror is, how many are sitting around, how popular they are, and especially the non-popular colors are the last to be blown out. They never know if a new model will be well received. The Peace has its fans (of which I am one), but if it doesn't sell what they produced, List Price is thrown out the window, and they sell them for what the publixc is willing to pay. A lot of people payed $2500 or more for a Peace Model, and probably an equal number paid between $1300 and $1800. The blow-out prices, again, were lowesr for the least popular colors.When someone designs a new model, obviously a good number of Gibson's people rhink that it's cool, or else it would never be produced in numbers. The public and Gibson employees do not always see things the same way, thus, there are a good number collecting dusr, so they offer some dealers a deal that they cannot turn down. They probably sold some Peace Models,, which are in reality a Les Paul Standard, for around a thousand bucks. At that price point, $1300, they flew out the door. There are only a few new ones left, but it's mid-2016, and they began production in 2013. No one knows how they will be viewed down the road, but as a new model they were luke warm to coldly recieved through the life of their guitars being cleared out. If I had five grand laying around, I would have pixked up four more at blowout time. To each his own, but a $1300 New Standard is a screaming buy in most Gibson lover's eyes. Gibson may not get "funky" again for some time to come, and some designers may have lost some face on The Lifetime Of The 2014 Les Paul Peace.

When shopping for a 2016 Les Paul Standard T, I noticed Gibson listed it for $2799. All of the online places I checked had the selling price as $2799 with a list price of $3999.

I thought that was weird, so I contacted Gibson directly.

According to them, the MSRP is $3999 and the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is $2799. Gibson is publishing the MAP on their website, not the MSRP. Why? Who knows. I told them it made me wonder if the on-line sites were trying to pull a fast one by inflating the MSRP and boasting of a huge discount since I assumed the MSRP was what Gibson listed - $2799.

Anyway – I picked up a Honeyburst for $2499.

Too confusing... MSRP>MAP>

I suppose Gibson wants to compete with their retailers for the $ for on-line sales.

Please...just give us customers the bottom line. Many times you can email on-line retailers and ask for their lowest selling price. It boils down to who gives better service on-line.

Gibson's List Price for the 2014 Peace was $5400, and the street was $2700, then $2501.00. Recently some new ones were on special for $1299 (a SCREAMING Buy).! The deciding facror is, how many are sitting around, how popular they are, and especially the non-popular colors are the last to be blown out. They never know if a new model will be well received. The Peace has its fans (of which I am one), but if it doesn't sell what they produced, List Price is thrown out the window, and they sell them for what the publixc is willing to pay. A lot of people payed $2500 or more for a Peace Model, and probably an equal number paid between $1300 and $1800. The blow-out prices, again, were lowesr for the least popular colors.When someone designs a new model, obviously a good number of Gibson's people rhink that it's cool, or else it would never be produced in numbers. The public and Gibson employees do not always see things the same way, thus, there are a good number collecting dusr, so they offer some dealers a deal that they cannot turn down. They probably sold some Peace Models,, which are in reality a Les Paul Standard, for around a thousand bucks. At that price point, $1300, they flew out the door. There are only a few new ones left, but it's mid-2016, and they began production in 2013. No one knows how they will be viewed down the road, but as a new model they were luke warm to coldly recieved through the life of their guitars being cleared out. If I had five grand laying around, I would have pixked up four more at blowout time. To each his own, but a $1300 New Standard is a screaming buy in most Gibson lover's eyes. Gibson may not get "funky" again for some time to come, and some designers may have lost some face on The Lifetime Of The 2014 Les Paul Peace.

I also bought a New Peace guitar at $1234.00 a few months back from ZZounds.

I felt it was a deal and its still laying in its case getting dust on it lol.

It says that its a standard but looking at the weight releaved and holes in the body

make me feel its more of a trad?

But over all I hope to get to play it one day in the near future...............JT

I think You'll really like Your Peace JT, and especially for that price. I traded an Advanced Jumbo that I bought new for my mint Peaceful Orange Peace and a new Roland GX. I was pretty happynwith the deal. The sound, in my opinion, is really great. Also, mine has a really great flame, and it's an early one, so Gibson hand wired it because they started producing them before they got the PCB's with the Orange Drop caps and non-push pull pots. All in all I'm really happy with it. Plus, the Roland is a really handy amp with all of the effects, and the 40 watts puts out enough volume that I've actually gigged it with the band without miking it into the PA.A lot of people don't care for the Peace, but with the Peace stuff pulled, mine is mistaken for the Slash Vermillion. I really don't mind the Peace signs, but I wanted to store that stuff so that 20 years down the road it will have all of the Peace parts in mint shape. I think the time will come when they are admired for what Gibson originally equipped them as. At least I will love it, being a child of the 60's. There were a lot of peace signs on clothing and guitars at Woodstock.

D877A8A2-8F63-4767-A3B6-3619451E8118_zpsmnuh1oy1.jpg

Archived