Gibson Brands Forums

Any Greatful Dead fans?

jaxson50

I have a love / hate relationship with the Dead.

I used to hate them. I guess I envied the fact they could make so much money and pull such huge crowds with such limited skill.

As the years went by, I was researching Scotty Stoneman and ran into a few quotes by Jerry Garcia, who had witnessed the master live and decided to research Garcia a little more. He was a far better acoustic player than I thought, and had pretty good acoustic taste. Some of his stuff with "Old And In The Way", David Grisman and the "New Riders" made me re-think my opinion.

While I'm still not a big fan of an hour long jam with little happening, I DO get the genius of "Ripple" and have come to realize that skill is far from the only ingredient involved when it comes to Greatness, Staying Power / Longevity and the ability to touch an audience.

I was not a big fan of TGD,but the first time that I saw them was at Woodstock in August of 69,it was a decent performance,considering the venue,and the technical difficulties that they had. Now fast forward to 2002,my two youngest daughters surprised me with a night out to the Dead concert here in Atl. It was a fantastic eve,their music was good,but the show was the followers, the Dead Heads,old and young hippies,it was as if had stepped into a time warp,they were the show.But there is something to be said about a 60+year old in the garb of the 60's and tripping on the lawn. Makes for an interesting spectacle. It was in all a fantastic eve, and the company was great and as I said the Music was good.Still not a follower but it was well worth the time.eusa_clap.gif

Live GD are easily the greatest musical experiences I've ever had.

I saw them as often as a uk resident could. In '77 I even went to SF and saw them on home turf at Winterland 29th & 30th Dec.

I agree they are not that easy to get into. At 16 I just didnt get it, but I persevered. At that age I saw music I didnt understand as a challenge.

You almost have to cut loose of your preconceptions about what music 'is' and learn to listen all over again.

At least we are not short of live recordings! Before the ****'s Picks etc the trading of live tapes was phenomenal & unprecedented. They are even cited as the origin of the 'jam band' genre.

The Grateful Dead were a band that I just plain never got into.

I had heard of them, of course, but what with being an Army kid (and moving here and there around the world throughout the 1960's and 1970's), I just never managed to be anywhere where they were being listened to.

This is no insult to the more earnest fans of The Dead, don't get me wrong.

It's just a matter of time and place, I guess.

Similarly, I have never seen even one episode of the TV shows Rawhide, The Cosby Show, and Gunsmoke.

:mellow:

I wouldn't say I'm a huge GD fan, but I do like some of their songs.

Over the years, I've played in bands that have played some of their songs. The only one I was familiar with beforehand was "Friend Of The Devil". Some of the others I hadn't heard before we played them are "Eyes Of The World" Franklin's Tower" and "I Know You Rider".

I was really into them around the time they made their "comeback", I guess that was the 90's?

Saw many concerts, and had many good experiences.

One thing about them, they are (were) a LIVE band, and more about the in-person musical experience. Jazz and blues is similar, in that it is about listening and experiencing music as it happens, and a certain thing that happens in the experience between the listener and players, that can't be captured on tape.

They were unique in that they were able to do it on such a grand scale, and the secondary experience of the "deadhead" traveling audience/companions that followed them around everywhere kinda made that possible.

It might be interesting, or noteworthy, to say that they worked that way, that is, they were about that live experience, the "jam" so to speak, and made music that way.

1461588223[/url]' post='1764174']

I was really into them around the time they made their "comeback", I guess that was the 90's?

Saw many concerts, and had many good experiences.

One thing about them, they are (were) a LIVE band, and more about the in-person musical experience. Jazz and blues is similar, in that it is about listening and experiencing music as it happens, and a certain thing that happens in the experience between the listener and players, that can't be captured on tape.

They were unique in that they were able to do it on such a grand scale, and the secondary experience of the "deadhead" traveling audience/companions that followed them around everywhere kinda made that possible.

It might be interesting, or noteworthy, to say that they worked that way, that is, they were about that live experience, the "jam" so to speak, and made music that way.

That is true, they were a jam band, live jams were their thing.

I got into their studio albums first, and their live stuff much later. I never got to see them live actually, but I've heard plenty of recordings. Jerry died before I got around to seeing a concert. I never had much desire to see any of their later incarnations. I think a lot of people don't give them a chance because of the unfair stereotypes that their fans got labeled with.

They wrote many amazing songs, and they were damn good musicians despite what anyone says. Jerry is one of those rare guitarists that you recognize immediately after just a few notes. No other guitarist has ever come close to his sound. Sure, when they were stoned and jamming out of sync with each other for 45 minutes their musicianship would be easy to question. A listen to some of their albums should end any doubts about their true musical skills. I still listen to them quite a bit on satellite radio (they have their own channel on Sirius/XM). I've learned a few of their songs on guitar recently as well.

When I was a kid in Florida there was a weekly radio show where they played am entire bootleg of the Grateful Dead. When I was really starting to get into music I decided to listen to it a few times as I knew the Dead were supposed to be an important band. After listening to two shows I decided that there must have been some sort of inside joke that I just didn't get. It was really the most horrible, aimless noodling I had ever heard in my life. I have listened a few more times in the 30 or so years since then and my opinion has not changed.

... I decided that there must have been some sort of inside joke that I just didn't get. It was really the most horrible, aimless noodling I had ever heard in my life. I have listened a few more times in the 30 or so years since then and my opinion has not changed.

Yes, it is an inside joke.

That aside, I think their best stuff is actually performed by other artists. I like their studio work, and the best way to appreciate their live work is to actually be there (it helps to also be under the influence of whatever your preferred method of intoxication might be). Their shows were an event, bigger than the Stones or even Donald Trump. Another thing about the Dead is that it doesn't matter what venue they're in, their sound is always awesome.

Yes, it is an inside joke.

That aside, I think their best stuff is actually performed by other artists. I like their studio work, and the best way to appreciate their live work is to actually be there (it helps to also be under the influence of whatever your preferred method of intoxication might be). Their shows were an event, bigger than the Stones or even Donald Trump. Another thing about the Dead is that it doesn't matter what venue they're in, their sound is always awesome.

I have to disagree about the drugs. You dont need drugs or booze or be derelict in any way to enjoy the music to the full.

If you hate the music, well thats ok. Crack a joke or two? fine; why not, go for it - fill your boots.

But some of us love this stuff over & above anything else you can think of, and you cant be wrong about something you love.

I saw them in the late 70s at UCLA. It took about 1/2 hour while they were playing to get inside because of the "drug" searches. They played for about 1 1/2 to two hours then took a break for about half hour. They came back out and played at least another two hours and we left while they were still playing because we're tired at that point. I heard they played at least a couple of hours more after we left. This was the tour were they had been playing a cover on the radio of "Good Lovin'" by The Rascals, which they also did that night as well live.

Archived