Gibson Brands Forums

Need help about my LP Studio 2016 T serial number

Kul2enai

Hi everyone,

I'm very new with Gibson, I just bought a Gibson LP Studio 2016 T Alpine Gold.

I have concern about the serial number back of the head stock.

It's "16xx4x023" and i've no idea what this serial number mean?

I've also put this serial number on this website

quote : http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

and it return nothing. Then I want to know what this serial number tell me about?

***Solved

If someone pass here, here is a answer from Gibson about serial number since 2014

"The serial numbers for most 2014-current Gibson USA models are different than the previous serial number schemes. The first 2 digits(14, 15, and 16) indicate the model year with the rest showing the ranking number of the guitar over the entire year’s production."

Welcome.

The eight digit serial number formula from the mid 70s that everyone knows is - YDDDYRRR - where YY is the two digit year, DDD is the day of the year and RRR is the production rank.

Gibson USA (Nashville plant guitars, where your guitar was made) went to 9 digit serials in July 2005 to accommodate their increased production. The sixth number is now a batch number- the batch number starts at 0 at the beginning of the day, and when 699 is reached, the batch number changes to 1 and the rank count starts over, allowing the batching to rank/count over 1000 guitars per day. The first 5 numbers and the last 3 numbers still represent the the same info. The only difference is the addition of the batch indicator "B" - YDDDYBRRR

If you read it correctly, your number starts with 16, with 600 where you would expect the day of the year (max is 365/6), possibly a new scheme has been used for 2016. For example: 2014 was the 125th anniversary year for Gibson and they changed the serial format to 14RRRRRRR where 14 is the year and RRRRRRR gives the production rank. (For unknown reasons, some 2014 guitars use the more standard serial formulas.) So possibly your serial is using the format 16RRRRRRR, although I've haven't heard of this change.

A timeless, enduring classic, enjoy!

Thank you.

Gibson answer me by e-mail.

My serial number match with my model.

And tell me about the detail of Gibson's serial number since 2014.

"The serial numbers for most 2014-current Gibson USA models are different than the previous serial number schemes. The first 2 digits(14, 15, and 16) indicate the model year with the rest showing the ranking number of the guitar over the entire year’s production."

Thanks for checking on that and providing us an update.

Archived