Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown with an issue, or is this crack normal...

Captain Mullet

Hi guys and gals, new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have a 2014 Midtown and it sure looks like the fretboard is moving, causing a crack on both sides of the neck. I can feel the ridge in the finish like the crack has opened up. Is this normal or do I have a major problem starting.

Anyone else seen this happen before.

Thanks for any advice.

post-78261-003086300 1461466779_thumb.jpg

Don`t think i have the same issue as the other post, Mine is a cracked along the length of the board. Not looking like a binding issue, the crack is just under the binding line. looks like the richlite is coming away from the neck starting around the 16th fret and up.

Well, that's only one of several such problems, on Midtown fingeboards.

There are several other discussions...check Google, for other's.

Suffice to say, it's not that uncommon. And, Gibson should fix it,

unless you bought it on E-bay, or "Used" for another person. Then,

you're on your own. Find a good Luthier, in your area, and have

him/her fix it, for you!

It's not (generally) the "Richlite," as it's been used, for years, on other

maker's models (Martin, etc.). So, it's probably a glue application

problem, unless it was previous "user" caused???

Good Luck!

CB

Hello and welcome to this board.

Sorry for you having this issue with your Midtown. It is definitely not normal. :unsure:

... take it (or send it) back to your dealer, for repair, or replacement.

CB

... It COULD be just a finish crack, do to humidity changes effecting

the Richlite, differently than the neck wood. That too, is a possibility. It may, or

may not, get "worse?" But, if in doubt, I'd still have a good Luthier check it out.

CB

I'm completely with CB here. Finishes may shrink differently from wood. Richlite, or glue, but it also could be a fretboard lifting. Having cleared it up by a qualified, reputable luthier is best.

:) no low speed crashes, no drops that I know of.

I didn`t think humidity would affect a basically solid body guitar this much, my two LP`s have no issues and live beside the Midtown..

Do you guys think Gibson would help me on this... I purchased it used from a Gibson dealer.

It's really hard to determine how big a crack is over the internet.

It's a good pic, though.

It IS normal for finish cracks to develop over time, some sooner than others. Depends what you do with the guitar, how you use it, where it's been. Lots of things. And some guitars get cracks more than others.

I would ask what does the rest of the guitar look like? What does the headstock inlays look like? Does it bother you because you are worried something is going wrong? Or does it just bother you because it looks bad?

There are so many things that could be a problem, or not a problem. No way to tell unless other symptoms are present, and most of these need to be seen rather than a photo.

That's where a luthier comes in, but also, needs to be a good one on a good day. Or even just someone experienced.

Other than that, best thing to do is play it. If it develops other problems, it will. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I will be taking back to the store, just worried it will spread down the board. Noticed it last week and it has already become longer. Guess i will see what the dealer says about it.

I don`t see any other issues with the inlays or gaps opening up like you would see on a dry guitar.

I do watch humidity closely, because my larrivee will crack if you look at it wrong.

Expected better from Gibson, disappointed to say the least.

I have gone down this road & would strongly suggest the following, because it works:

If you are the original purchaser & therefore have a warranty, contact the nearest authorized Gibson repairperson in your state. They are supposed to be the first point of evaluation for warranty repair. In my case, I first sent detailed photos to the repairman, who then contacted & consulted with Nashville.

I was eventually put in direct communication with warranty repair in Nashville, and advised to send my guitar to them for either repair or replacement. The guitar in question was a 2007 double-cut SG, which five years after purchase developed a crack & separation at the body joint near the endpin, and finish cracks along the fretboard-body joint. This was determined to be caused by improperly dried wood, and the guitar was replaced by one of my choosing (of equal value).

Very hard to determine if your crack is simply a humidity-checking issue, or something more serious. It needs to be assessed, but don't take it to anyone other than an authorized Gibson repair station, because you might invalidate the warranty if someone else works on it.

Archived