Gibson Brands Forums

2002 R7 aged gold top reissue 57

Mcgtola

I have the chance to grab this guitar for $2000. Its a 2002 57 Reissue slightly aged. I have been looking for other used ones for sale but cant find any for this year let alone aged ones. Can anyone give me more info? The aging looks off to me. Would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks

I'm not an expert on aging, but to me it looks like finish checking that could have happened to any nitro coat over time. It could be that clear coats over period-correct 50's gold top lacquer are more prone to that, but I'm not sure. Perhaps forumites more experienced on that matter will chime in here.

I'm not an expert on aging, but to me it looks like finish checking that could have happened to any nitro coat over time. It could be that clear coats over period-correct 50's gold top lacquer are more prone to that, but I'm not sure. Perhaps forumites more experienced on that matter will chime in here.

They are saying that if was aged in the shop.

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't think Gibson made any "aged" guitars until 2003. Could be wrong. Where's Pippy?

I don't see a pic but it sounds like there was one. Have you taken a pic down?

I don't think Gibson made any "aged" guitars until 2003. Could be wrong. Where's Pippy?

I don't see a pic but it sounds like there was one. Have you taken a pic down?

Ya I looked at it and it was just super beat up. Sounded great but not worth $2000. The guy had a really nice collection. I got to play an original 1952 Les Paul! (not a reissue) Thing sounded amazing. He had a 1973 Gold Top Deluxe and I left with that instead! Was a great day.

I attached a link to the Pictures of the R7 I was looking at.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/expsiyd6f3zefwj/AACRYR_fAz_y1ehZRhZ7qyzqa?dl=0

Here is a picture of what I picked up yesterday.

Left 1973 Gold Top Les Paul.

Right is a 1984 Les Paul Standard in absolute perfect condition got for cheap!

post-71232-086708800 1461610282_thumb.jpg

Archived