Gibson Brands Forums

More from the studio

AnneS

Some of you will recall that I almost lost my mind recently and considered letting go of my J100xtra? Well, thanks again for the sanity check, because...

Before I went back into the studio last week, I had the good sense (and some lucky extra coin) to have an Anthem installed, really appreciating how studio-ready my J-45 was last time around. I knew my next song choices needed more up-the-neck action, so I wanted to give myself the best shot in studio this time around, too, and go with the long-scale maple.

I. could. not. be. happier. :rolleyes:

See what you think, guys:

Preacher Man (turn it up, I say!)

Hey Dude

Sweet Return (oh, and this is why we need at least two Gibsons...what a kick to hear both guitars together.)

Many of you have heard these in prior iterations, but I think you'll find them freshened up and at the top of their game. I hope you enjoy; thanks for listening and for all the support (lo, these many years now [wink]).

Really, it is the MOST fun thing ever...

All three are excellent, Anne. My favorite has got to be "Hey Dude," likely because I can identify with it. I often run into vets that look kind of familiar, but it was years and years ago (somewhere between 67-69) and we both look at each other as if "is that you?"...lol...once in a great while it is, but usually it's not. I really get the sentiments of this song. Sweet and accurate words. Love that Gibson sound with you voice. Deep, soulful, bluesy, folksy, and real. Well done, old friend. And "yes," we certainly have heard your "prior iterations" and I hope we hear a lot more of them. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

You're really working up quite a nice list of songs there, gonna have a full album.

Just listened to "Preacher Man", and I do really like hearing you "turning it up" there. Thought it was great. Your picking and singing on "Hey Dude" sounds great. It's a really nice, contrasting mix of songs you've got. Congratulations!

Hey this is great - If there was an earlier studio-session, I missed it, but compared to what I've heard from your camp so far, this is one big step up.

Not only because of the facilities, but regarding material too.

The 3 songs in this series are more original than the stuff from earlier posts. Nothing 'wrong' with those, but they were very rooted in the traditional folklore.

These emancipate themselves from that and seem to seek a space of their own. Not uncovered ground, of course not, , , but individual territory in the wide field of timeless folk-music.

Also the lyrics lift the bar. Still carrying messages, they breathe freer through those well placed windows of abstraction - less compact (if I may say so).

You should be very happy to have reached this level.

Once the traditional old-school format* is transcended, it's like moving into a limitless garden of wonder and mystery, beauty, streams and rock formations with dark cave cracks.

It gives playing its true double meaning as it points straight back to the most intriguing days of childhood.

And lucky is she/he who can pass through studio doors and go there again. .

*Still Sweet Return tho perhaps the most trad-bound, might be the fave here - love the flute.

It all sounds like a lot of fun .

Yeah, , , but in that same way like when we played hide'n'seek and cowboys'n'indians as kids.

The real fun started when the bunch began to take it seriously. .

:-)

I sometimes prefer these homemade smileys as the authorized ones can get too yellow

[wink]

Anne, I listened to your three recordings and they are each lovely in their respective ways. If forced to pick a favorite it would be Hey Dude. The sound is very professional and nicely recorded.

How do you plan to use the finished product? Just for your own satisfaction, or perhaps to market yourself?

Lars

Oh, thanks everybody...it's really a treat.

Lars, I had a three-fold purpose in investing in the studio adventure, with personal inquiry certainly being at the top of the list. I also wanted to showcase songs that, hopefully, show some range of composition and sensibilities. My tastes are somewhat narrow, but they do run deep, so selecting the "right" six for this endeavor was both challenging and thrilling on its own. The production choices seemed to make themselves, though, so that pretty much re-enforced that I'd made a good selection.

And the point of showcasing the material is to shop it around, run it up a flagpole and see if anyone salutes. Frankly, listening to once-favorite artists lately has me sometimes scratching my head. Case in point, Dar Williams, who I think is a compelling singer and a fabulously under-rated songwriter....BUT. Upon listening to her last couple of albums? I cannot fathom how some of the songs--whether covers or originals--made the cut. And you know what? She could kill any of my songs--knock 'em out of the park. And I hope it does not come across as ignorant arrogance for me to suggest that her fans might appreciate my material more than what Dar has recently been offering them. I could be flat-out wrong about that, but I could be a little right, too. Point is, I'm willing now to be either.

So why not get some of my songs in top form? And, I happen to live in an area where live music--whether open mics or coffee houses or bars--is still a thing. If I want to gig, or to sit in on a songwriter circle, I want to say "Here, listen to these." In fact, plenty of people approach me after open mics and ask if I sell my music or if there is any way for them to hear more. That part, as unexpected as it has been, I don't want to ignore any longer; if this music actually touched someone enough to cause them to seek me out and ask for more, then--duh!--let me (as Em7 so wisely puts it) take things a bit more seriously and elevate my game as best as I know how.

So, I will save up a little more cash and send the six tracks (Hey Dude, Gravity, Preacher Man, Sweet Return, In Parting [End of the World Song] and Truest North) out for mastering, and then I will seal them up as an EP. I don't know exactly where it goes from there, but the fun and satisfaction thus far already outpaces the investment, so I am not seeing any kind of downside.

As with many things, first things first... :)

Again, thanks, everyone, for the listens and the support. It is huge...

Late to the party but really enjoyed this Anne, i think these tracks are even stronger than the first three.

As Em7 wrote, its definitely stepping out of your comfort zone and show real growth in terms of musicanship and songwriting - real maturity.

First track I would never have guessed it was you with the heavy strumming, loved the groove of Hey Dude and last track was more 'old you' but with more depth and complexity.

Great stuff, quite inspirational ... [thumbup]

Late to the party but really enjoyed this Anne, i think these tracks are even stronger than the first three.

As Em7 wrote, its definitely stepping out of your comfort zone and show real growth in terms of musicanship and songwriting - real maturity.

First track I would never have guessed it was you with the heavy strumming, loved the groove of Hey Dude and last track was more 'old you' but with more depth and complexity.

Great stuff, quite inspirational ... [thumbup]

Thanks a bunch, Mark. It's been fun to go back through my stuff and see what still has the legs I first thought they might have. Preacher Man was written a number of years ago, but it's not one I typically perform, mainly because I never felt like the guitar, alone, did it justice--I always wanted more to "happen" with it, so it was gratifying to give it some studio treatment.

I arranged the six songs into a single playlist now, in case anyone is still interested (and willing to wrestle with Soundcloud. [scared])...

EP-Sweet Return

I really like the songs Ann, are you over dubbing the second voice on Sweet Return or is that another singer? It certainly shows how versatile a J45 can be as your picking is beautiful.

Why, thank you kindly...

That is indeed another singer, and he overdubs himself there for a bit, too. The main picking guitar on Sweet Return is my J100 (capo 4, playing G), but that is the track where I also play the J45 (capo 2 playing A), picking in a few spots but mostly strumming lightly.

Both guitars are plenty versatile but not so night-and-day different that I simply MUST reach for one over the other in particular situations. Generally, the long-scale maple seems to have more "umph" when capo'ed or played up the neck (certainly beyond the fourth fret); the j45 handles it, but I think the J100 excels there.

Main thing is, both guitars "speak" to me, so I'll keep listening to each. [thumbup]

Have you tried overdubbing your own voice it gives a different sound or even double tracking but that's not for the purest.

I must say I like the guitar in your recording. I used a J45 for years finger style but have moved on to a CJ165 which gives a brighter sound. Sometimes I overdub with the same guitar or even a semi acoustic.

Archived