Gibson Brands Forums

Serial numbers

Trento

Here's an interesting tidbit or something.Couple years ago I bought a hummingbird from the original owner who hadn't owned it for very long.about 5 years.it is in mint condition .just a couple pick marks on the guard and I do mean only a couple.its a beautiful specimen.heres the interesting part.it has two different serial numbers.for some strange or unknown reason the original owner had no notion of this.my concern was that it may be a fake or knockoff.the number on the label inside differs from the one stamped on the headstock.only one digit is different.have the original bill of sale and took it to the dealer where it was purchased to have an appraisal.Long and Mcquade.it drew quite an audience when it was unveiled.they confirmed it was sold by them and the recorded number was the one on the label.they confirmed it is a genuine Gibson hummingbird from 2009.has anyone ever heard of this anomaly?I also spoke with an official at the factory and he said he had heard of this but rarely.a human error. I wonder if it adds or detracts from the value?

Archived