Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Gibson gigbag harmful for the SG?

ChrisF

I recently bought a SG special satin 2016 and it came with the Gibson USA gigbag, I liked it in the beginning but when I tried it for the first time I noticed that it was really really tight, so tight that the guitar doesn't fit as I think it should. I was thinking that it might be even harmful cause it looks like it applies a lot of pressure on the headstock, which I guess can't be good in the long term.

Here is a picture where you can see how akward it looks with the guitar inside:

Om1xCj6.jpg

And here is the gigbag:

HcwHilu.jpg

Gibson's current gigbag fad is a bad thing. [thumbdn] The peghead angle typical for Gibson instruments makes the necks more sensitive, and gigbags won't provide any protection against bumps and stresses.

Anyway, I think every guitar and bass regardless of build deserves a case of her own.

I have a couple of those Gibson gig bags, and they work well, for their intended use.

And, mine at least, are not cramped...have plenty of room, length wise. And, comfortable

width wise, too.

They are NOT anywhere near the protection, or a good hard-shell, or even molded case,

however. But, for your average "bar" gig, especially if stage room is cramped, they

can be a nice, as they fold up, and are easily stored, for the evening's gig. Still,

long term, I much prefer a good, and sturdy case!

CB

No, they're not as "stretched" as your's appears to be. My SG's and Les Paul's fit quite comfortably, in them.

I even use it for my Dano 12-string, with a much longer headstock...with no problem. My Ric's won't fit into them,

as their bodies are too wide.

But, I mine are an older (4-6 years?) version...same shape, but all black (no white trim, in the zipper area),

and padded well (black plush) inside. So, your's may/must be a bit different in the length, which would account

for the tighter fit.

You might check, with your dealer, and see if they (still) have the version, like mine...

or, just go ahead and get a hard-shell case! [thumbup] You wouldn't regret that, I'm sure!

CB

I would never put a guitar with an angled peghead in a gig bag.

Never.

UDqTg3R.gif

Probably sound advice! But, I've been "lucky," so far, anyway.

But, I take great care, in making sure they don't get bumped,

thrown about, or jumbled around, in the car. IF, that's going

to be the case, they go into a hard shell, or even a flight case!

CB

I bought a TKL case for my '16 SG Special 70's . I don't trust the gig bag either. Does yours smell really bad...almost like a chemical smell. Mine smells horrible. I had one for a LP Studio before...exact same bag but it didn't stink.......

A 3rd party case can put your guitar at more risk than a gig bag. The neck should be supported so that the headstock does not rest on the base of the case.

Finally there should be no free movement within the case with the lid closed.

Not really, IME. The musician gear cases are structurally 100%.. I've got a few. way better than what any gig bag would offer.

Gator and Roadrunner cases are very good too, but they are more expensive.

one other is silver creak cases.

I do agree that the OEM Case is the way to go, but, the cost is prohibitive.

... The neck should be supported so that the headstock does not rest on the base of the case.

Finally there should be no free movement within the case with the lid closed.

Proper support is very important. There should be two neck supports - one on either side of the storage compartment, and a padded ramped up area under the spot where the neck-joint/heel is located to take the weight of the body off the neck joint. For example: the Gibson Gear SG case shown below provides this type of support.

750-ASSGCASE_detail1.jpg

Not really, IME. The musician gear cases are structurally 100%.. I've got a few. way better than what any gig bag would offer.

Gator and Roadrunner cases are very good too, but they are more expensive.

one other is silver creak cases.

I do agree that the OEM Case is the way to go, but, the cost is prohibitive.

I speak from experience. I was supplied with a Stagg case when I bought my PRS. When picking the case up, I felt the neck fall out of its slot and the headstock hit the side of the case. It failed to fit properly in all 3 axis of movement. That was certainly more dangerous to the guitar than any gigbag.

My luthier goes further in his condemnation of poorly fitting cases, and has often told me of how many broken headstocks he's had to repair as a result of in-case-damage.

The case I have most confidence in is a 3rd party one. Its the Hiscox one I keep my spanish guitar in. In contrast my Gibson & Rickenbacker cases are poor by comparison.

I confess I dont know what a OEM case is.

yes, your point is well taken ME, I have one Gator case that I needed add some foam to give me the fit I needed with my Sheraton Pro II. I would have rather had the proper Epi case, I went with a Gator case as an alternative due to the epi case was not in stock. Now that the deal is done, (last November)at this time really worth my while to purchase the right case and then try and sell the Gator. the other after market cases I use however are definitely a-okay.

I have a padded SG Special gigbag from 2010.

It comes in handy as a temporary for the new guitar if there wasn't a case shipped, or I'm trying to decide which case to buy (Gator Journeyman? Epi? Etc....)

But

I would not dare to trust the gigbag out side of my house.

Simply put it's like wrapping the guitar in a blanket

it is soft, flexible, and can be pinched or crushed with no trouble.

Choice is yours of course but it definitely isn't a sure bet for protection

btw it has just enough room, but zipping up the headstock area gets me grumbling a bit sometimes

very tight up there, and like squeezing a baby in a dress it will fit but the bottom and top barely agree

Personally I don't think it's harmful.

My Epi Studio lives in one of those Gigbags, looks pretty much like on the OP's pic.

Funny thing was when I bumped it once and it fell. But it did fall on the side with the logo and because it's so curved it just rolled. The headstock didn't touch the floor.

If it had fallen backwards it may have been a disaster.

That said I do it with my Epi wich cost me only little money.

I bought it to carry it around, guitar lessons etc.

I would never put a more expensive instrument in one of those.

My LPJ lives in a hardcase, and it is a "low end" Gibson.

Archived