Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Swingster

slk

Hey guys just wanted to hear some feed back on the Swingster. There is one for sale at a music store close to me and I was just wondering how they were. This one is black and it is a 2011............

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve ---

I've played a few of them, and my take is that they are well made and comfortable to play, and the control system is quite versatile. To me they are a "neither fish nor fowl" creation --- clearly inspired by Gretsch, but tonally they fall somewhere between Gibson/Epiphone warmth and Gretsch twang and sparkle. I personally don't find them attractive, and am happier with my Epi Joe Pass and Gretsch 5420, which provide very distinctive contrasts.

They seem to be popular, though, which means a lot of folks like them.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the market for a hollow body. I liked the Joe Pass also. I went and played a Gretsch 5420 and I like it but then I saw the epiphones on youtube and now am torn between them. I have heard that the epis have a little warmer tone. I have not played an epi yet as the stores around me don't ever seam to have any in stock to play. There is a Gretsch by me on craigslist also. I don't know if it is a good price or not, but there is no case. The swingster is $500 with an epi case.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/5497568028.html

Thanks

Steve

Hey guys just wanted to hear some feed back on the Swingster. There is one for sale at a music store close to me and I was just wondering how they were. This one is black and it is a 2011............

I always thought the Swingster was hot. [thumbup]

I happen to own one. A white royale, it is the same body as the Joe pass, it's a cool guitar, not quite Gretchen in the series position, but nice. The parallel mode is very PAF sounding. I always enjoy playing it, a real nice guitar all around.

Archived