Gibson Brands Forums

Pre war L-1

Okra

I was thinking '35 or '36.

Someone told me the L-1s didn't have labels, only FON numbers.

It was a gift from the Steve Lavere family in Greenwood.

Apparently, some had labels - does yours have a FON?

Apparently, some had labels - does yours have a FON?

My mother was born in Durant and went to high school in Greenwood, class of '36.

Sorry for the off-topic, I just get excited when I here of that little corner of the world.

Durant is a great little place. About 25 miles south of me.

Can you tell me where the FON would be?

If there is a FON, it should be ink-stamped on the neck block, inside the guitar. look inside the guitar, through the soundhole and towards the neck. The neck block is the vertical block of wood on the inside "front" of the guitar, between the soundhole and the joint of the neck to the body.

The number, if any, may be very faint, very clear, or non-existent. It's always worth poking around on the inside of a guitar with a small flashlight and mirror.

And, by the way, my family is from Laurel, but I was born in Biloxi (Keesler Field). Bought my 1948-1950 J-45 in 1966 from a music store in Jackson.

If there is a FON, it should be ink-stamped on the neck block, inside the guitar. look inside the guitar, through the soundhole and towards the neck. The neck block is the vertical block of wood on the inside "front" of the guitar, between the soundhole and the joint of the neck to the body.

The number, if any, may be very faint, very clear, or non-existent. It's always worth poking around on the inside of a guitar with a small flashlight and mirror.

And, by the way, my family is from Laurel, but I was born in Biloxi (Keesler Field). Bought my 1948-1950 J-45 in 1966 from a music store in Jackson.

I'll check it out later today.

I have family in Petal/Hattiesburg and Long Beach. My Uncle worked at Keesler teaching hand gun combat. Small world.

• 2 weeks later...

That is an interesting L1. the Label is most odd. Notice the added 0 on the paper label where the serial number should go. Also A braced or full X. The Bridge shape is accurate to the original. That odd bridge shape was used near the end of the production when the L1 went to X bracing.

Archived