Gibson Brands Forums

Slightly different logo?

ChrisF

I'm really happy with my SG and I don't want to be paranoid, but I was showing my SG (special satin 2016) to a friend and he noticed that the Gibson logo was really close to the edge (at least compared to his SG faded). In the beggining I didn't care but then we started looking for pictures of a headstock of my SG model and I found that hes right indeed.

From what I can see comparing mine to other pictures online, the logo seems to have a different angle and is closer to the edge. I'm kinda surprised about this as I thought this was something standard for every guitar. Is it possible that there exist these small variations from one guitar to another?

My friend told me that the logo used to be a way to recognize a fake gibson.

I attach a picture of my SG, and then some others that I found online.

My SG:

ptrxHyU.jpg

InVp06s.png

Random SG (same model as mine):

Gam0l0A.jpg

VnXrf2z.jpg

IF you bought it from an "Authorized Gibson Dealer," you're fine! They don't sell "Fakes!"

Head-stock logo placement does vary, slightly, silkscreen or inlaid. Even the logo itself

has varied a bit, over the years (dots over the "I", and/or open or closed letters). So...

unless you have other real concerns, as to it's authenticity, I'd just play the Hell out of

it, and not worry about it. Think of it as "unique!" [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Since your friend also has an SG, I'd suggest you both pop off your control covers and compare components/wiring; I'd think they should look pretty similar. Covers should be interchangeable, too.

Just an idea.

From what I can see comparing mine to other pictures online, the logo seems to have a different angle and is closer to the edge. I'm kinda surprised about this as I thought this was something standard for every guitar. Is it possible that there exist these small variations from one guitar to another?

My friend told me that the logo used to be a way to recognize a fake gibson.

It's actually pretty common knowledge that Gibson never seems to be able to keep the logo in exactly the same place from one guitar to the next.

Your friend may be right in being able to use the logo as a way to recognize a fake, but only for those who know HOW to recognize a fake logo. This one is genuine.

Sure it's one of the unique ones that slips through QC; might have been any sort of slip-up, but I'm sure your Gibbo is a Gibbo. Like the other guys say; check about the thing and it should be fine. As long as there are no other alarm bells going off; you're golden!

Archived