Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Going Through Withdrawal...

I've had Stinky, my beloved 2010 Hummingbird, since he was new. But I've never had him professionally set up.

f7f7041b-9f49-4577-bcbd-2498c15eb114_zpsc502246f.jpg

Recently Stinky began getting a sore throat and sounded really scratchy--ruining the nectar I've grown to love.

Since so many of you enablers have recently been harping on the need to take our $3k guitars to a luthier for a proper set-up I looked around and found a Gibson-authorized luthier down the road a piece.

So, yesterday, when I had a rare mid-week day off, Stinky and I went for a drive.

"Whatcha got in the case?" the youngish shop attendant asked.

Instead of answering I opened the case and took Stinky by his sore neck, careful to keep the mahogany side to the attendant.

Then I spun Stink around and watched the guy's face melt.

Right%20Side%20Silk%202_zpslnbrxyye.jpg

(The massive Chatoyance Nebula on Stinky's lower bout--

the rumored source of all true Hummingbird nectar.)

"Oh man! I've always wanted a Hummingbird!" enthused the shop keeper as he man-handled Stinky and ogled his avian charms.

A quick examination by the perv revealed that Stinky was in need of some bone dust and super glue on his--well, um, nut--to correct an overly deep nut slot. (A condition I'm sure many here can relate to. C'mon guys, no need to be embarrassed.)

The luthier's apprentice also agreed that they could set up the neck so that Stink would play even better than he does already. And all this for the astronomical price of $60.

And here's where you louts come in.

IMG_06993_zpsq79ekwrq.jpg

I'm the guy standing on the top of my empty guitar stand. Stinky is gone for a week to ten days--he's never been away from home before--all because I listened to you schmucks!

What am I going to do? I'm bored! I'm having withdrawals! I'm almost ready to pick up my Strat!

Okay, here's where you can help. I want to get rid of the stock piezo pick-up and replace it with something very good.

The luthier said they're quite familiar with the LR Baggs Anthem and Lyric installs. However, they knew nothing about the Trance Amulet system.

What do you recommend for a great pick-up for Stinky? I want him to sound like a guitar---and not a duck--in fairly intimate settings (recording and small venues).

I want to spend money. Please help me!

FMA

I have no idea on the PUps. Sorry That nice of experimentation is above my pay grade right now.....BUT I feel your pain. When Patsy Jean went away for 5 days....or was it 6. Felt like a month!

Oh Mr Sam makes them all sound sweeter, but sometimes he takes awhile. He is worth it I think.

I just had the stock Fishman ust replaced with the Anthem on my J100. I love what it does for my J45 at open mics and, more recently, in the studio. Ditto now for the J100, which I had not, until last night, dragged out for open mic on account of the inferior sound of the p/u.

I know others like others, but I went with what I tried and found true. I'm a happy camper. So, that's my two cents...

;)

I believe the Lyric uses the next gen of the mic part of the Anthem and, so, does not need the ust part. But it may be more susceptible to feedback in some situations, if I recall correctly. I think I also read that the p/u portion of the Anthem (which is essentially the Element) enhances the low end slightly more than the mic-only Lyric can, for a tad more 'thump.'

I don't know about any of that first-hand, as I haven't had a chance to try out a Lyric. Just danced with the one that brung me.

I've got the Lyric in two of my guitars and the Anthem in one. Both pickups do a great job. I installed both of the Lyrics. It was real easy, even for me. If I had to pick one of the two pickups I'd probably go with the Anthem because it has a few more options you can use for the sound. Of course, it cost around $100 more. That said, the Lyrics sound just as good to my ears. Kind of depends on what ya like.

Firstly, you need a spare guitar...

Next, I would leave the Baggs in the Hummer and buy either the Fishman Aura 16 Pedal:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Aura16

Or in case you want to get more guitars, the Fishman Aura Spectrum:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fishman-aura-spectrum-di-and-acoustic-guitar-preamp

Play the images they give you for a while, then hook in to the internet and download the Hummingbird images for a closer sound and...

WHOOSH! Stunning!

BluesKing777.

Ah BK777, I knew you'd show up. Glad to have you, mate.

So this is what I don't understand about the Fishman stuff: you mean I can leave the horrible sounding piezo pick up in my guitar and these magic boxes will make Stinky sound good?

Sounds like alchemy. Fullmetal Alchemy, in fact.

225219-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-poster.jpg

If I put a better pick up in my guitar will the Fishman sound better? And does my guitar really sound at all or has it merely become a midi device?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--Best to the princess and the hound.

Ah BK777, I knew you'd show up. Glad to have you, mate.

So this is what I don't understand about the Fishman stuff: you mean I can leave the horrible sounding piezo pick up in my guitar and these magic boxes will make Stinky sound good?

Sounds like alchemy. Fullmetal Alchemy, in fact.

225219-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-poster.jpg

If I put a better pick up in my guitar will the Fishman sound better? And does my guitar really sound at all or has it merely become a midi device?

Inquiring minds want to know.

--Best to the princess and the hound.

Hound had a huge fight with a bull terrier on the beach last weekend - came back bleeding from the mouth and leg! All too quick for me to catch them over the other side of the beach...

Only way to get the guitar's real sound is a really nice microphone like my Neumann KM184. All the rest is elektronika.....

My J45 and L-00 with Baggs sound superb through my Aura!

Get a used one somewhere....

Here are some Aura videos - basically plug in, add a small amount of image and quacks are gone:

BluesKing777.

Hound had a huge fight with a bull terrier on the beach last weekend - came back bleeding from the mouth and leg!

Poor hound!

Only way to get the guitar's real sound is a really nice microphone like my Neumann KM184. All the rest is elektronika.....

Point taken--"all the rest is electronika."

I'm also interested in the Trance Amulet--the list of those who play it is impressive. I'm not interested in that the Trance Amulet needs to be installed by someone who knows what they're doing so I'd probably have to send Stinky somewhere, which I don't want to do.

And, BTW, I appreciate your comment about buying another guitar. Definitely sounds like a good idea.

Bedtime for this Bonzo.

Sorry for your (temporary) loss.

Ah yes, pickups. I have the Lyric in one guitar, Baggs M1A in another. Although there are good and bad points with both, I can't say I would choose either again. I would say If you go with the Lyric you will be looking for a DI next (feedback issues, balance issues etc.) A slippery slope you are headed down FMA.

My next (should there be one) will either be the Amulet or K&K. Depending on cash available.

I love the sound and natural tone of my Lace California sound-hole pickup.

I keep it in my gig bag for the off-chance that the onboard electronics on whatever acoustic/electric I have brought along that night craps out.

Fantastic item.

:)

1st things 1st,,

your post is hilarious, thx I needed the laugh..

second,,, .. I am sitting with 4 stitches on the index finger of my right hand.. I'm grounded for a bit myself, all my guitars are sitting there, mocking me,, I can't hear it but I know.. Oh I know..

lastly, My SJ200 (probably the ring leader in the mocking activity) has the Anthem, it's by far the best pickup setup in an acoustic I've ever had. (mostly fishman, but I have a few random others)

Enjoyed that story 'bout man and instrument. A close relationship now becoming even clover.

Yeah, , hahe, , , that chatoyance positioned in line with one of the p-guard-dripping-points, without any doubt adds something extra.

Good Luck to both of U

I am sitting with 4 stitches on the index finger of my right hand.. I'm grounded for a bit myself, all my guitars are sitting there, mocking me,, I can't hear it but I know.. Oh I know..

lastly, My SJ200 (probably the ring leader in the mocking activity) , , ,

Ouch - good luck to U too

I do now. I'll never lay hands on that contraption again.

Aaaarrhhhn, , , "a blade I didn't know of", , , every guitar player's nitemate No1.

Reminds me of when I worked with gigantic modern glass-montres in that museum. Flexible they sailed between the gloves while setting them up (had to be pressed in place).

I could feel it coming and it did. Next day when I arrived, one had exploded between the hands of my middle-boss. Luckily not in guillotine blades, but in thousand raisin-like fragments.

Recall the sight of bloody handkerchiefs among the devil-diamonds on the floor as I cleaned up the mess. Generally too much glass there - and I had to leave. .

! We must and will not be ambushed by unknown blades !

Archived