Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony Saddle for Archtop

5364DD9F-3825-4176-BC2D-5ABA890AC54E_zpsoo3p6zsx.jpg

I already posted this on the Arch Top Forum and thought I would share it here.

I acquired a new L5 a couple weeks ago. A few members mentioned that an ebony saddle would look better.

I was also told that it would change the sound. Now that I've switched, I agree with them.

I set the intonation, measured the tune-o-matic, modeled the saddle and then programmed the part.

I bought a block of ebony, had the shop split it, slabbed the thickness, cut the outer shape, snapped out the blanks then machine the compensation and some small string slots.

Everything came out perfect.

A66CA101-D769-4EEF-9084-6FE02C039E3C_zpsevtr3prh.jpg

94C51CD3-80E0-4C5A-A761-D0E32099FFCA_zpsxtkwrozd.jpg

CE011992-2BC5-4107-9168-217421A2ADF8_zpsifcnixrp.jpg

7D54FCC2-2A6A-47FE-9E7C-530C55D018AC_zpsgmrx9gqz.jpg

9635C500-880A-438B-83D3-FA89B8F5D881_zpstbzkihwh.jpg

28B1A2E4-18C4-4E13-802C-5F94872031DE_zpsc9jwmp6z.jpg

Nice job. Once you're sure everything is right, it might be nice to do a little hand filing/sanding to remove the machine tool marks and soften some edges.

It's handy to have that sort of machining capability at your disposal!

Nice job. Once you're sure everything is right, it might be nice to do a little hand filing/sanding to remove the machine tool marks and soften some edges.

It's handy to have that sort of machining capability at your disposal!

I'm definitely planning on that. I need to know how to polish it to match the bridge

I'm definitely planning on that. I need to know how to polish it to match the bridge

Good question. I've never actually polished wood, but I know ebony polishes out well. I remember my father's ebony Marine Corps "swagger stick" when I was young. It had a dull glow that was beautiful. And it rang like a bell if you dropped it on a hard floor (which I did). Not sure he let me handle it after that.

Wow. Very impressive indeed.

To me it looks absolutely great just as it is, including the hard edges and grooving. Congratulations on a superb job.

From looking at your last pic it seems a bit lighter than the bridge base...but perhaps a bit of oil then a good polishing/buffing would get it darker and glossier...and soften the edges etc a bit.

Archived