Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Colosi Bone Pins (Pics & Demo) - Don Williams/ Mumford & Sons Cover!

BirdMan81

Nice playing and singing. Your guitar sounds beautifully with these 80/20, even though i'd have gone with non coated strings.

Bone pins are very nice, i'm tempted for my hummy, are these standard bone pins ? What size did you ask for ?

sorry guys...just realizing now that Don Williams Song (Love Is On A Roll) was recorded before I switched strings and pins. I took a picture of my stock pins and emailed it to Bob Colosi and he sent me the right size pins. They are the ones with the larger inlays. Here is a quick demo with the pins and Elixer Poly web 80/20 strings on. Just some finger picking and light strumming.....a song called 'Timshel" by Mumford & Sons:

Ill try and get some solid flat picking up too so anyone interested can here the difference:

Thanks guys ....here is the flat picking for anyone who cares....I might go with a straight PB string as the 80/20 may be to thin sounding.....?

Try with non coated 80/20 like martin SP ; 80/20 seem louder to me than PB. They also need to break in like 1 or 2 weeks...

Hearing the before and after its consistent with my own experience with my HB TV, in that I find PB's are much, much more suited to get the best tone out of the Hummingbird.

I hear a lot of nectar and warmth from the Bird with the PB's, while the 80/20's just seem to take away that distinct element of the bird and as you also noted, sound rather thin.

Id definitely go back to the PB's.

Here's how mine sounds with PB's and about 3 years of getting beaten n bashed in every bar in Prague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp4AFrvfswE

Here's how mine sounds with PB's and about 3 years of getting beaten n bashed in every bar in Prague.

These are two excellent guitars -

EA, I remember when you walked in circles caught buy the craze waiting for your own decision. And the joy when you made up your mind and it finally arrived. I even recall there was a short moment in time where you thought it was a 'miss', but that didn't last long (an hour or so !?). Then it was taken on the road and the bass began to give, , , bet the whole thing got a lot looser since then.

Something tells me that - the Bird sounds magnificent, , , , and so wonderfully birdish.

BirdMan, take a look at the Prague-guard. Three years of barflying and the hovering winger is still intact. Must be reassuring for you :-)

Yes this makes me feel better! But my eyes did notice some floral wilting....

Only a single line directly under the soundhole disappeared, other than its all intact.

Just took a pic now.

photo_zpsaoliqu7h.jpg

Only a single line directly under the soundhole disappeared, other than its all intact.

Sure that stem is the most exposed - next comes the bird-beak, which first gets dirty and then disappears. .

The upper trumpet flowers are vulneable too.

See it this way : The degree of garden-fade indicates the degree of sonic maturity.

Sure that stem is the most exposed - next comes the bird-beak, which first gets dirty and then disappears. .

The upper trumpet flowers are vulneable too.

See it this way : The degree of garden-fade indicates the degree of sonic maturity.

Agreed, and i actually enjoy some wear n' tear on the Hummingbird pickguard. Its a distinctive feature of the model, but I stll much, much prefer the more 'yellow' HB guards from the 60's models. They just dont make em' like they used to.

And yes, I did almost send her back .... because the wise men in Bozeman Montana had the foresight of putting 80/20's in the factory .... what were they thinking ? :rolleyes:

Agreed, and i actually enjoy some wear n' tear on the Hummingbird pickguard. Its a distinctive feature of the model, but I stll much, much prefer the more 'yellow' HB guards from the 60's models. They just dont make em' like they used to.

And yes, I did almost send her back .... because the wise men in Bozeman Montana had the foresight of putting 80/20's in the factory .... what were they thinking ? :rolleyes:

Agree for the wear 'n tear :) they're mark of "history" and i like em too.

About 80/20 well it is a matter of taste... I like them much on my bird, however i've tried d'addario EXP and they're surprisingly good for coated PB strings... i like them too, so far, and had them for 3 weeks or so and still sound good.

Archived