Gibson Brands Forums

Gigging - Happy

MorrisrownSal

I am just posting because I am really happy I started gigging some. I found my sweet spot in terms of type of places, frequency (twice per month), and work-home life balance. We also started including a friend of ours who has a whole bag of percussion... sticks, eggs, tambourines, etc.. "Bobby Tambo". He adds a lot of texture to our songs, I also realized I like gigging best with my two Gibsons - the J50 and the LG2. They both complement the big bassy sound of Mike's Martin, instead of muddy overlap.This picture was our gig this past Thursday night, which went late, and I am playing the LG2.

One other thing... we started getting a following, including friends of ours that love to come because they also play, and we always invite them up for a few songs each. One friend of Mike's showed up Thursday, borrowed my guitar, and proceeded to wow EVERYONE with his crazy good blues Allman Brothers - Chris Stapleton voice. I bring this up because for those of you who are trying to get gigs, obviously your case is always stronger if you bring folks who eat and drink. If you are good, you will get a following, and if you have friends that love to show up because they may play a tune or two, they will come. Happy Owner! Happy Mike and Sal!

Mussels%203_zpsn8oxfthf.jpg

Good on you, Sal! Glad you're enjoying yourself! I see you're using a Bose stick system - excellent! As you've found it can be placed behind the performers, providing mains and monitors in one small package. I used one of those with my last band back in 2006-07. An 8-chl mixing board allowed us to have four vocal mics, one on the kick drum and an acoustic guitar as well, all run into the Bose behind us.............perfect setup for small to medium club work!

You go, bro! [thumbup]

Glad to hear it and see it, Sal. Nice to get into this kind of groove. And excellent idea with letting some friends play a couple songs. I do that at my Wednesday afternoon shows. For one thing, playing a solid two hours by yourself is a job and I don't want another job. Letting a friend or two play gives me a break and gives business to the venue. I hope this venue is there for as long as you guys need it. It gives you something to look-forward-to during a long and pain-in-the-butt work week and it helps to satisfy the "I'm a folksinger" need. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Yeah, great to hear Sal. It's quite addictive in a positive way, isn't it? We gig two or three times a month and I always look forward to it

I also got a percussionist who will sit in with me on my solo gigs and looking forward to a bit of back up.

Have you considered ditching the music stands and going memory only or get a little stand for the iPod?

It is always good to see happy gigging. Don't worry about the stands and sheets, people don't notice them, only other guitar players. The one in the back with his arms folded drinking the one beer he can afford this week.

rct

Sweet spot - that is the ideal!

(I did a reply last night but Google Chrome gave out after I typed my long-winded reply and it all went west.)

But it was similar to other replies anyway and glad to see you playing and enjoying yourself.

I played in a band in a place that look just like that for a while - with a band we got awful reverb and feedback because of the window glass behind us, so we had to put up black material to dampen the sound, which also made it real cosy and 'band night like" with the addition of a blue light on one side and a red light on the other. And rolls of gaffa to stick it all!

A friend played in another place that looks the same, not an uncommon look, but their windows folded out on a hot night....lure some passing trade.

BluesKing777.

It's a friendship that is different than others.

Musicians form an unspoken bond that is hard to explain. While is doesn't always last forever, the ones that do are very special.

Enjoy this special time in your life, you will remember it forever.

What murph said is very true .

Finding someone you gel with musically and personality wise isn't that common. You seem to have lucked out .

My gigs have run their course at the minute and I'm jealous of what you have . Hope it lasts and leads to great things for you

Thanks... to all of you. You guys helped me immensely. And Grunt... I have no aspirations for great things. I just want to fill out some time that has been vacated by coaching kids and all the parenting stuff that tends to dissipate a little as the kids get older. I like playing out. I like the charge I get playing for and connecting with audiences. Mike and I gel really well, and I didnt think we would gel as well as we currently are. I am very happy about that.

. Mike and I gel really well, and I didnt think we would gel as well as we currently are. I am very happy about that.

And this is the key. I also gelled remarkably well with my old partner, we knew exactly how to complement each other in terms of perosnalities, responsibilities and musically. Thats 80% of the battle and rare to find it, so stick with him. Ive tried a few other sine my partner left and have been disappointed as we just didnt gel, even though functionally we were quite good together - but it just wasnt so much fun. And if youre not a pro, then it should be all about fun.

So thats why now Im going solo mainly ....

Archived