Gibson Brands Forums

New Top On The Way For My Peace

ajay

I have decided to go with a Lemon top on my Les Paul Peace. It is currently Peaceful Orange, but I have felt since the first time that I layed eyes on it, the flame belongs on a Lemon top. Lapidary Dreams has offered to do the job for a very reasonable price, so by this Summer I'll have my dream guitar, and the finish will have no plasticizers, so it will fade and get vintage cool like the old ones do. I can't wait to get it back.

3EDC1F82-45BD-4E9D-BD1A-3F82217B2591_zpsujwkgyay.jpg

I like the finish on the guitar as is, but it is yours not mine. I await to see the 'after' picture to see the new finish! It does have a very nice flame!

Best of luck.

Thanks for the compliment on my flame. Lapidary Dreams commented that it's a really great flame to try a '59 Amber flame. I just love that look. I agree that the Peaceful Orange looks good as-is. It's funny, because all of the Peaceful Orange tops are supposed to be plain tops. This is a really early serial number, so I assume that they had just gotten a load of top Maple in, and they would have had to dig through the pile to find a plain top.

I just think that the luck of the draw has given me a flame that looks a lot like the vintage flames. Peter Green, one of the founders of Fleetwood Mac had one of the most famous '59 Bursts, and the flame is very similar to mine. Most of the famous bursts have a nickname, and his is called "Greeny". Kirk Hammett of Metallica bought it a few years ago. It had a 2 million dollar asking price for a while, but the owner needed money and Kirk got it for considerably less than the asking price.

I like it as-is, but If I get my dream top on it, I will enjoy it even more than I do now. It's a big decision, but in this life You may as well get what really makes You happy. Especially since I'm nearing retirement age, and I won't be buying any more guitars, so I'm going to make this one into my dream Les Paul. I can hardly wait to open the case in July when it comes back to me.

1462113669[/url]' post='1765688']

You should call her 'Orangey'

I will. That oughta' make some people scratch their heads!

1462114005[/url]' post='1765690']

Gorgeous flame.

Hope the refinish goes well. . B)

Thank You. Gibson USA has really been getting some nice tops in. It must be time for a raid! There'll probably be a Maple Syrup shortage!

I have decided to go with a Lemon top on my Les Paul Peace. It is currently Peaceful Orange, but I have felt since the first time that I layed eyes on it, the flame belongs on a Lemon top. Lapidary Dreams has offered to do the job for a very reasonable price, so by this Summer I'll have my dream guitar, and the finish will have no plasticizers, so it will fade and get vintage cool like the old ones do. I can't wait to get it back.

3EDC1F82-45BD-4E9D-BD1A-3F82217B2591_zpsujwkgyay.jpg

Lovely LP, awesome that you've got a plan to make it the git of your dreams. One question for you though, you say you're getting the top done, are you also going to have the body done in the same nitro? Just curious as you mentioned he's using old school tech and application so that it will fade like the originals....but if you don't do the rest of it, wont the top fade out way faster than the rest? Might be something to consider so it doesnt drive you mad 10 years from now.

Good luck and cant wait to see the pics when you get it back.

Johnny

1462144841[/url]' post='1765819']

Lovely LP, awesome that you've got a plan to make it the git of your dreams. One question for you though, you say you're getting the top done, are you also going to have the body done in the same nitro? Just curious as you mentioned he's using old school tech and application so that it will fade like the originals....but if you don't do the rest of it, wont the top fade out way faster than the rest? Might be something to consider so it doesnt drive you mad 10 years from now.

Good luck and cant wait to see the pics when you get it back.

Johnny

Thank You for the insight. I have considered that, and since I'm about 60 years old, I mainly want to have the top on my Les Paul that I've always wanted. As far as the sides and back, In my not-so-nimble mind, I consider that the "working " part of the guitar. I don't really look at it, and it mainly is the contact point for handling and playing the guitar, so I don't mind if that part is tougher than the top. By the time the top and sides start to make a difference, I'll probably be dead. When I look at a burst, I look at the top, and when I see one that Tom Murphy has worked on, and the finish is removed from the back, I kinda' go, "Well, that's pretty ugly." So I guess I'm being selfish in not worrying about what the next guy who buys it thinks. For me, just having the top aging a little more than the back and sides is OK with me. I plan on treating it carefully, and have no plans to jolt it with temperature changes to crack the Nitro. I'm not going to set it out in sunlight to fade it or anything. I just want to see that beautiful Honey-Lemon Flame on the top. They can't work it into their schedule until July, so I do have some time to do some soul searching. Thank You for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. And input from other Les Paul fans is extremely appreciated. No one has better ideas on how to customize or treat these guitars than those of us who spend a lot of our time playing them and studying about them. Thanks a lot Johnny. Cool name by the way. I dig it!

Thank You for the insight. I have considered that, and since I'm about 60 years old, I mainly want to have the top on my Les Paul that I've always wanted. As far as the sides and back, In my not-so-nimble mind, I consider that the "working " part of the guitar. I don't really look at it, and it mainly is the contact point for handling and playing the guitar, so I don't mind if that part is tougher than the top. By the time the top and sides start to make a difference, I'll probably be dead. When I look at a burst, I look at the top, and when I see one that Tom Murphy has worked on, and the finish is removed from the back, I kinda' go, "Well, that's pretty ugly." So I guess I'm being selfish in not worrying about what the next guy who buys it thinks. For me, just having the top aging a little more than the back and sides is OK with me. I plan on treating it carefully, and have no plans to jolt it with temperature changes to crack the Nitro. I'm not going to set it out in sunlight to fade it or anything. I just want to see that beautiful Honey-Lemon Flame on the top. They can't work it into their schedule until July, so I do have some time to do some soul searching. Thank You for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. And input from other Les Paul fans is extremely appreciated. No one has better ideas on how to customize or treat these guitars than those of us who spend a lot of our time playing them and studying about them. Thanks a lot Johnny. Cool name by the way. I dig it!

Thanks ajay, I didn't mean to rain on your parade or anything like that, just wanted to point out something that maybe you hadn't considered in all the excitement [biggrin] Sounds like you've got it under control and putting your money into the most bang for the buck for your enjoyment. If the working side is just the working side (and you're right there, the beauty is in the top aside from the tone and feel) I'd put the extra cost for the full re-fin into something I'd get more enjoyment out of too.

Well July ain't too far off in the big picture, but the days waiting will sure drag by. Be sure to keep us posted.

Johnny

I will keep You posted Johnny! If I had a keg of $100 bills, I'd probably get the top shaped and everything. The truth is, I've had my third back surgery from a snowmobile accident at work, and I'm on disability. Sounds funny, a snowmobile accident at work, but I worked on gas wells in New York, and we have to ride sleds to the wells in the Winter. Anyway, I don't have money coming out of my ears, so the top is a treat for me. I can't wait. I may end up with one of the few Honey-Lemon Peace Bursts in thenworld, so at least I'll have originality going for me! Later Johnny! Ajay

Cool project there!

Can I ask you how much it costs to refinish it?

Personally I considered the placid purple for myself, but at that time I didn't have the cash.

I wouldn't touch the purple because I like it a lot, but it does make sense with the orange.

Not that it looks bad, but first it's not my taste especially on a Lester. And second I really like the coulour you have planed for it.

Can't wait to see the newly finished guitar.

1462180812[/url]' post='1765916']

Cool project there!

Can I ask you how much it costs to refinish it?

Personally I considered the placid purple for myself, but at that time I didn't have the cash.

I wouldn't touch the purple because I like it a lot, but it does make sense with the orange.

Not that it looks bad, but first it's not my taste especially on a Lester. And second I really like the coulour you have planed for it.

Can't wait to see the newly finished guitar.

Their quote to disassemble the hardware, strip finish, refinish, and reassemble is $500 plus shipping. I thought that was very reasonable.

Archived