Gibson Brands Forums

Best Western Motel Saturday Night - original song

flatbaroque

Finally wrote something I'm willing to share.Been a while.Could do with a tweak or two, could scan better here and there...but I think it's ok.Raw recording but hot off the press.

I was mucking around in open G and came up with a nice sliding chord thing that started it off.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NvK2r4Br7E&feature=youtu.be

She left her hometown,

Kept her hometown blues

Sat deep in her eyes

Best Western motel

On Saturday night

Ceiling fan can hypnotize

Kiss in the steeple

From Johnny B Bad

The chivalrous rescue

From Sir Galahad

Pony tail love

From pages ago

Ghosts are restless tonight

She’s out on the road

Sellin’ what people don’t need

Is your coverage all right?

Guess it’s a living

Makin’ stones bleed

It’s hard to keep up the fight

Pennywise and pennydumb

She played both sides of the coin

Ghosts are stretching their legs tonight

There’s dashing Juan come into sight

He was the mechanic

With the high Cuban heels

Who danced the flamenco

Between changing her wheels

They even spoke once about

Having a kid

Then out of the blue

he went back to Madrid

Best Western Motel Saturday night

She turns on the TV, turns down the light

She’ll watch it again The African Queen

And hopes that old boat

Steams through her dream

Her view’s from the cheap seats

But it’s still pretty clear

If you’re not being loved

You might just disappear

Indeed that is a sad song, but that is just the way I like them!

I think your lyrics have great imagery that fit the mood of the song extremely well.

To me the recording sounds a little thin. I hope you intend to record it again in a different environment. Your song is great and deserves to be heard at its best!

Lars

Great stuff!

Do we assume the hotel is the bottom budget kind that we don't want to get sued for saying it is the 'Pits'? I think I have stayed in some on the way to Queensland, still scratching!

More verses to come? Harp?

Fine like it is!

BluesKing777.

Real cool song, John. I love the analogies in it. "Pony tail love from pages ago. Ghosts are restless tonight." Those two lines speak volumes. Numerous good lines in here. You painted a picture with words and wrote a song with a brush.

I enjoyed that FB, interestingly I rarely listen to lyrics (Morrissey, Nick Cave and PJ Harvey exceptions), its melody and mood that usually sucks me in. Which in this case I enjoyed both. I can tell its a sad story without knowing the lyrics and the playing and vocals take me on a joureny - job done in my book.

Really good example how to use a simple progression or melody but infuse it with plenty of feeling and dynamics in delivery, both vocal and guitar.

FB, that song is beautiful, touching, and wonderful. It's half Springsteen and half Lyle Lovett.

I have about a hundred chord progressions and arrangements waiting for words. But damn I can t write a story like that.

I truly loved this.

Well effing done.

This is superb, sir- I like everything about it. You made pictures with words and then gave me just enough music in between to let them sink in. Gonna have me a whole bunch of listens...👍🏻

John, I'm glad you dropped whatever other characters were in an earlier form of the song. They likely would have cluttered things up. As it is, this song is about "her" and it works very well. Nice tale. One that the listener can identify with on one level or another. You allow the listener to "fill in the blanks." [thumbup]

You are to lyric writing what blues King is to acoustic blues

Neither of you should be doing a normal job .

But hats off to you for this , best one you've done in a while . Inspired writing .

Does it come to you as is , or do you use any methods to get started ?

Fabulous baroque

Thanks again folks for the interest and the kind words.

I'm certainly no "natural" when it comes to songwriting.It's a hard slog and mostly I don't get things finished as I'd like - a lot started that go nowhere.

But sometimes the planets align and I can get something together.

As far as lyrics go I do get phrases come to me out of nowhere at times.In this song

"She left her hometown, kept her hometown blues" and "pennywise and pennydumb" were both phrases I've had kicking around for a while wanting to get into a song.I'm not sure where either came from.I read a lot..maybe that helps.

Generally a phrase or two is all I have lyric wise before trying to find a melody.Melody starts with a chord progression.Then I sing nonsense words over the chords trying to establish a melody.

This can sometimes throw up a useful lyric...that just seems to happen without thinking.

At this stage with a melody established and a few lyrics I start to think more about the words and story.I like words that work both in a lyrical story sense but also in a song rhythm sense between themselves.Some words just sound good together.

I've learned not to be too precious about any lyric.Something that seems great at some stage of a song's development may not fit later.So you have to be prepared to chop stuff out.

Like Larry said sometimes less is more.

Anyway thanks again..and don't give up on the writing anyone - you never know when it will come together.

Hope that wasn't too boring but I know I'm interested in how people get things together musically, so I thought some may be curious....BBG was curious.

Cheers

I am curious

Rather frustratingly it seems that we are similar , in that a phrase will pop up and I think that'll be good in a song ....

Other times I'm noodling and get a little chord pattern and think that might go somewhere ..::

There the similarity ends as it doesn't seem to come together .

Mind you , I don't devote a lot of time and it can be 7 days before I pick up a guitar .

I don't write anything down , which is another fault .

I'm not trying hard enough .

Or , maybe it's just not in me ....

I'll keep waiting , in the mean time it's great to hear Anne and the others and yourself FB who genuinely , genuinely write great stuff.

I can easily write a song I a half hour if I'm not worried about content and some degree of intelligence in it . Which yours has in spoonfuls

That's great song John, I always enjoy your posts. This is no exception. Thanks for posting that. Like it a lot.

I have the same problem too, a song idea either comes out in it's entirety in 10 / 15 minutes, or it doesn't usually survive.

As far as lyrics go I do get phrases come to me out of nowhere at times.In this song

"She left her hometown, kept her hometown blues" and "pennywise and pennydumb" were both phrases I've had kicking around for a while wanting to get into a song.I'm not sure where either came from.I read a lot..maybe that helps.

Generally a phrase or two is all I have lyric wise before trying to find a melody.Melody starts with a chord progression.Then I sing nonsense words over the chords trying to establish a melody.

This can sometimes throw up a useful lyric...that just seems to happen without thinking.

At this stage with a melody established and a few lyrics I start to think more about the words and story.I like words that work both in a lyrical story sense but also in a song rhythm sense between themselves.Some words just sound good together.

I've learned not to be too precious about any lyric.Something that seems great at some stage of a song's development may not fit later.So you have to be prepared to chop stuff out.

Anyway thanks again..and don't give up on the writing anyone - you never know when it will come together.

Hope that wasn't too boring but I know I'm interested in how people get things together musically, so I thought some may be curious....BBG was curious.

Cheers

I recognize this process completely--it is the way I "write," too--there is a big "without thinking" part to it. Kind of a conscious 'not thinking,' though...when something is served up, you gingerly follow it. And as you said, you have to be willing to let something fall away if, after first blush, it's not right.

It's more like "listening" than "writing." Somewhere, some few words may suggest a melody, or some chord progression may suggest a lyric and, once you hear that they are connected and a little interesting, you can start to think about it--get a little more conscious, even--try to let more words and musical lines explore what the initial connection was about.

This really is a fine song, John...ya did real good, I think. And I appreciated the exposition--I sure couldn't have said it better. [thumbup]

This is really to good to hear FB, important to break it down to pieces ... maybe go away for a while, come back. Thanks for sharing your approach, im going to try your way now that i can finally string a vocal melody ... sort of.

ps: I prefer Flatbaroque to John, no offence. ;-)

Thanks again folks for the interest and the kind words.

I'm certainly no "natural" when it comes to songwriting.It's a hard slog and mostly I don't get things finished as I'd like - a lot started that go nowhere.

But sometimes the planets align and I can get something together.

Cheers

Very interesting to hear about how you bring your ideas to life in songs. I would not describe myself as a songwriter quite yet. I am too inexperienced with only eight songs complete. While I'm not a songwriter, I do write songs [biggrin] My experience is that I need an idea in order to start writing. For most of my songs I have had the lyrics about 75% in place and the melody pretty clear in my head, before sitting down with the guitar and trying to figure out chords and licks.

My one exception from the above is my latest song that just kind of happened while sitting with the guitar playing around. I am extremely intrigued by this whole process. One moment there is nothing, and a short while later, suddenly there is a song. It was not conscious, it just happened. Fascinating how the human brain works and can be triggered and influenced by factors unknown to us.

Do you experienced writers ever consider your songs finished? I tend to go back to mine and change things as I learn more and I do want them recorded so I know what I have (warts and all).

Lars

Archived