Gibson Brands Forums

Short Raggy Blues Instrumental

BluesKing777

You da King!!!

I love the rhythm shifts in this one.

The money you spent bringing that little jewel back to life was worth it. She's still got that 80-year-old soul, but with a new dress and brand-new shoes.

Now, about that logo.... [rolleyes]

BK, you belong in some smokey little bar playing "the blues" like Robert Johnson or Leadbelley. You've got this genre nailed-down, my friend. I really enjoy your sound. It's the kind of music we don't hear much of anymore, and we should be hearing it played in all kinds of places.

Wow, lots of replies while I wasn't looking!

Thanks very much!

Smokey Bars = instant unemployment. Do they have smokey bars to play in anymore? Paris, maybe? Here they haven't allowed smoking in a venue for many years and recently new laws came in stopping you smoking anywhere NEAR a venue, including the massive football stadiums, and they are putting ciggies up to about $40 a pack to deter smokers and raise revenue. Glad I gave up, though it is a way grumpier daily ME!

The tune was better on the practice when I thought "I should record that! Send it to the guy that fixed the old Gibson for me" - (I already sent him a photo). I didn't really have a plan for the tune - fairly improvised - but elements of Blake's "Early Morning Blues" are in there as well as some Robert Johnson and Franks Stokes, except they didn't really play solos, on record anyway, that is a modern thing really......

The old L-0 has a strange neck that a previous owner fiddled with by shaving the V off the back between the 1st and 4th fret, among other things why I don't play it as much as I should - so I like to tune down 2 steps and capo at 2 or 3. Then it is like playing a new neck - it is really, except THAT sound.......really clear and a little 'astringent?" Definitely nowhere to hide!

Thanks again......

BluesKing777.

I forgot a photo!

BluesKing777.

That's the perfect guitar for you, in spite of the many nice guitars you've got these days. Don't forget to leave with the one that brung you to the dance. She's the girl for you.

That's the perfect guitar for you, in spite of the many nice guitars you've got these days. Don't forget to leave with the one that brung you to the dance. She's the girl for you.

Thanks Nick!

Luckily it is the girl, because it would be tricky to sell (unless someone PLAYED and HEARD it!) and when the Better Half and Work both come to their senses and throw me out, well, how does that blues song go?

Though while I was waiting for a work problem to get fixed, I was strumming my little 1944 0-17 and that is pretty perfect at the computer desk! That sounds more like Robert than Robert, for some reason! And my new Authentic is sounding 10 years older every day, I kid you not! But I do feel a bit like the valet driving the BMW.....

But yes, the rest will sell in moments, especially as the guitar shop has been skun by somebody [biggrin] and they haven't replenished. I said to a friend that I have nicer guitars than the shop at the moment! ( plenty of Taylors left, wonder why? [mellow] )

BluesKing777.

Smokey bars is the right analogy, but it doesn't fit the present...lol...However, it does fit the era when this kind of music was "king." BK, you were born 60 years too late...lol...You would have fit-in very easily with all those old "blues" players in those smokey bars....Keep doing what you do. You do it well.

Smokey bars is the right analogy, but it doesn't fit the present...lol...However, it does fit the era when this kind of music was "king." BK, you were born 60 years too late...lol...You would have fit-in very easily with all those old "blues" players in those smokey bars....Keep doing what you do. You do it well.

Thanks MP!

I played in a few of those kind of bars here many years ago - one I played on Saturday afternoons had either 50 types of bourbon, or it may have even been 100, and that is a good way to kiss Saturday night goodbye! Also too much for some friends who had possible 2 bourbons and got unruly and punched by the bouncers.....so much for making it to the 50!

Did I tell you some people are scared of the old Gibson L-0? [blink]

One friend said it bit him when he was playing it and another said it gave him an electric shock.... The guitar tech's apprentice said he opened the case and it was empty, so he nervously told the tech, who opened the case and the guitar was there..... [angry]

The Hound likes it though and I fear he may have 'give it some scent' when I wasn't looking, but the Boss doesn't like it much...

All true! [angry]

What is there not to like about this innocent looking old guitar, I ask [omg] :

L-0March1_zps1i1pcntc.jpg

BluesKing777.

Sorry - reading Steve King's short stories at the moment - had a car that ate people at the rest stop.

Man, you have everything perfect on that.

The tone matches the groove as does the playing.

Perfect.

Bravo.

Thanks Murph!

Perfect? Nah.

After reading FB's nice explanation of how he arrived at writing his lyrics, I thought I had better try to explain the inexplicable and how I arrived at what I played on the above track. I get asked and recommend Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop for his sensational lessons for basics to mind blowing hard....

So my track is a fingerpicked blues with extra fills and lead lines up and down the neck, plus a few time changes thrown in to try and add interest - instead of playing the same thing all the way through over and over. When practicing, I could play the thing for an hour non stop, while throwing different ideas in. The track above is a short condensed version. It is great to be able to improvise for a while to give your singing a bit of a rest while playing somewhere, while adding a bit of interest to the playing, and this is the basis for me personally wanting to do that!

So how do we get from beginning fingerpicking to that? I think Robert Johnson sold his soul at the Crossroads in a desperate effort to avoid......yep....endless practice! [smile]

BluesKing777.

Archived