Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring help

Hi,

I've got a grounding issue that I'm trying to figure out on a Les Paul. When in the neck and middle positions, there's hum unless I touch the bridge pickup, output jack, or metal on the toggle. I've tested it with a multimeter, and for some reason when I have the neck pickup only selected, the bridge still shows as grounded. I can upload some pics if that would help.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

So these pickups are Original HBL and HBR with the circuit boards. The bridge pickup seems to be grounded fine. The three way mini toggles aren't currently wired and the green and white wires are twisted together and not touching anything

I'm no expert but it may be 'dry' solder joints, especially on the upper 2 pots in the pic. With respect, it hasn't been well done.

You may get more answers in fact by posting with pic in the lounge or LP sections.

Good luck!

26153839274_95d985ba2a_k.jpg

Looking at you pic, the bare ground and the black ground coming off the neck pick up the the back of the pot looks kinda messy, and the solder on the backs of the neck pots and the bridge tone pot (your continuous ground) looks kinda blobish, not sure you had enough heat on the backs of the pots. These could be cold solder joints (wire is held in place but not really conductive). As a first step I would try re-flowing those connections with more heat.

How many watts was the soldering device you were using for the pots?

HTH

Johnny

Yeah, I didn't originally solder it. I'm kinda thinking of undoing it all and starting from scratch to be honest. That way I'll know what goes where and can wire up the mini toggles. Also the mini toggles are three way toggles. What kind of switching options would use three way? Series/parallel/split? I'm thinking of taking those out and putting in some two way switches and just doing a standard coil split/full him bucking setup.

Yeah, I didn't originally solder it and am trying to make sense of it all. I'm kinda thinking of undoing it all and starting from scratch to be honest. That way I'll know what goes where and can wire up the mini toggles. Also the mini toggles are three way toggles. What kind of switching options would use three way? Series/parallel/split? I'm thinking of taking those out and putting in some two way switches and just doing a standard coil split/full him bucking setup.

Now there's a truly good idea, especially if you didn't do any of the work. Yes the three way will give you the series, split, and parallel options, I've done it to one of my Epis and its pretty cool, I also have out of phase switching on that LP as well. I use mainly the series and parallel options mind you, but you can definitely get a multitude of options with the different combinations some almost tele-ish. Since you already have them, I'd wire them up, worst thing that happens is you only use some of the options.

Good luck

Johnny

Archived