Gibson Brands Forums

Mark Knopfler

BirdMan81

I've liked this guy from when I first heard him play. He's likely the favorite playing partner of the late Chet Atkins. And he always comes across as just an average guy, who just happens to be one of the "all time" premier pickers.

He's likely the favorite playing partner of the late Chet Atkins.

If Chet could tell us today, he might give that title to Jerry Reed.

But regardless, he & Knofler also had a beautifully special connection.

Often thought about folk who are left handed and why they don't just learn on a right handed guitar , it's obviously possible considering knopflers stature .

I'm not saying that lefties have done the wrong thing , just wondered what happened when first starting ?

Did you try a right handed and it just didn't feel right ? Would it never work ? Etc etc

There's a guitarist who's name escapes me who , after a bomb attack I think , relearned the guitar with the other hand due to finger damage ..

Perish the thought !

Hi I also play a standard guitar but I'm left handed . The only problem I find is really fast strumming but as I play fingerstyle it's not an issue , I tend to strum with my fingers and thumbpick also because the left if the strongest I tend to use hammer ones and pull offs a lot rather than picking every note

Same here. Write with my left hand, throw with it, but swing a bat and play guitar right-handed. Who the hell knows why we do what we do? [unsure]

And speaking of Knopfler and Jerry Reed. It just don't get any better than this stuff. And there are dozens of videos of these guys playing together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvhY4uqGDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kZSYleMxg

Archived