Gibson Brands Forums

Weekend Project

C-RAM

So, some time ago I landed on some discussion debating modern vs '50s-style wiring, and it got me mildly interested. Since I ripped out the Craig Anderton pre-amp that had been residing in my '74 LP Standard, I just put the guitar back to what is considered a 'modern' configuration using the cheap little factory disc caps. I decided to give the '50s setup a try, so I ordered a couple of Jensen .022 microFarad can caps and figured I could do a general tidy-up of the control cavity while I was in there.

I unsoldered and cleaned up the pots and gave 'em a shot of DeoxIt D5 before prepping them on a board, tying (grounding) them together and soldering on the caps. I measured my T-Tops and found the neck pickup has 250 more ohms of resistance than the bridge - huh. I'm so used to the guitar, I'm not going to change their positions...

IMG_5138_zpszqnsxonr.jpg

IMG_5137_zpsdacdrkxv.jpg

Put the pots/caps back in,

IMG_5142_zpsedxpgp2n.jpg

re-soldered the pickups, bridge ground wire, switch selector leads and output jack, and I'm done.

IMG_5159_zpsjxbha4tn.jpg

So - the sound? The claim was the tone would be unaltered when rolling the volumes down, and I can attest this is so. The WAY the volume decreases/increases seems different, though - not quite as linear... I realize now I have no way to A/B! :-s

All in all, the changes are pretty subtle and only involve choosing and connecting different lugs on the pots. I think I can live with it and get used to it. Not really comparable to a '50s guitar anyway, because:

These are 300k pots, not 500k.

T-Tops are not PAFs

Still love this axe - I've had it for 40 years, now. [razz]

IMG_5165_zpskubwtp51.jpg

I can only hope my Les Paul looks that good when its 42 years old! I have 50s style wiring in both my custom-wired SG-type guitars. Not sure how noticeable the tonal difference really is, but it works well enough for me that I see no need to change it. Your soldering job is cleaner than mine, too. Nice job!

That is a gorgeous guitar. I admire you guys that do your wiring. Does it help to be a bit of an electrician? I'd be nervous that I'd screw it up and feel bad on an expensive guitar. I've had thoughts of changing the humbuckers on my Epiphone but I think I'd have a professional do it. That's what I see many of you guys as. Professionals! Anyway, that is a beauty in great shape. msp_thumbup.gif

Anyway, that is a beauty in great shape. msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks - a close inspection would reveal plenty of imperfections, but it's all honest wear; that guitar has traveled and been around.

Archived