Gibson Brands Forums

Waverley Tuners J-45

VincentG

Those are beautiful tuners. I did the Roto swap to those some time ago. Used the StewMac 3457_ 3/8" conversion bushings. They may've actually been a bit snug going into the large holes that were necessary for the Rotomatics.

The grained ivoroid is a nice touch. Do be aware you'll have to drill a second hole for each tuner, as the Rotos attach with only one screw. A satisfying little project for a Saturday morning. It's nice to have a lighter guitar, too.

Good luck, and put up a photo when you're done.

Probably the 3/8" conversion bushings. The standard Grover bushing is just under 10mm in outside diameter, I believe. 3/8" is nominally 9.525 mm. The 10.5 mm bushings are apparently for conversions for Fender , which must use a tuner with a slightly larger bushing hole than the Grovers require.

Since 62burst has experience here, I'd go by what he says.

I think these are what you need.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Tuner_Parts/3_8_Conversion_Tuner_Bushing.html

But be aware, there will probably be very noticeable circles on the headstock when you remove the washers from the original Rotomatics. This will require sanding/polishing and that might be a little scary for some people. I used these (get a bunch of them), but it took some time and patience and in the back of my mind I was wondering if I had ruined the finish on the headstock forever. [scared]http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Micro-Mesh_Touch_Up_Stick.html

Try removing just one of the Rotomatics before you commit to this project. You will then see how much of an issue the washer marks are. I know that I would have found it very unacceptable on my J-50 without sanding/polishing.

The other issue is inserting the bushings. They were a nice tight fit, and you can't just press them in with your hands. StewMac makes some special tool for this, but I used a small C-clamp with a block of wood to protect the headstock, and just slowly screwed it down until the bushing was fully seated.

None of this should be difficult if you are at home in the shop with tools. If not, then you may find it challenging. :)

See my post from a couple years ago: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/111365-ntd-new-tuners-day

• 2 weeks later...

Hey VincentG,

I just ordered exactly what you said... Ordered them Friday and am excitedly awaiting! Did you do it yet?

No, not yet! I live in gothenburg, I don't have the tools and don't know who I would trust to do it for me.

I went to a guy for a setup 2 days ago, he set 1,5 mm action on the low E at the twelfth string and 1mm and the high E

and then told me it was buzzing cause a few higher frets were uneven. So it won't be that clown for sure.

Let us know how it goes for you!

No, not yet! I live in gothenburg, I don't have the tools and don't know who I would trust to do it for me.

I went to a guy for a setup 2 days ago, he set 1,5 mm action on the low E at the twelfth string and 1mm and the high E

and then told me it was buzzing cause a few higher frets were uneven. So it won't be that clown for sure.

Let us know how it goes for you!

Almost sounds like your guy thought he was setting up an electric guitar, rather than an acoustic.

Time to buy some tools from Stewmac, and watch their videos on doing your own set-ups. There are other really good videos around on that as well. It's a one-time investment for a lifetime of satisfaction.

Almost sounds like your guy thought he was setting up an electric guitar, rather than an acoustic.

Time to buy some tools from Stewmac, and watch their videos on doing your own set-ups. There are other really good videos around on that as well. It's a one-time investment for a lifetime of satisfaction.

Actually I think it is low even for an electric! My telecaster was at 1,9mm and 1,3mm if I remember correctly.

I am gonna learn to make my setup myself. I ordered Bone saddle and bridge pins from Bob Colosi. But to change the rotomatics to Waverly I don't have the tools to do it without risks. So I 'll wait until I find the right person for that. If anyone here knows a good tech in Gothenburg, please shine in!

It isn't just the tuner/bushing installation… on my J-50 there were very noticeable "bullseye" marks on the headstock from the Rotomatic washers. This required a significant amount of sanding and polishing to remove. I did it and was pleased with the results (see link above), but it's a little scary to start sanding down a nice shiny headstock. ;) You could try removing just one of the Grovers and see how much of an issue the washer marks will be and whether you can just live with them or if you will need to do sanding.

I have been working with tools since an early age and have even managed several carpentry shops, so I have no problem with this kind of project. But I think doing a good setup is an "art" and I would rather have a pro do that. :)

Archived